The Student Room Group

RAF reserve and regular roles

I am in 6th form currently and want to go into adult nursing in the RAF. But I am a bit confused about the reserve and regular roles? what is the difference between them two? Which one do I need to apply through for adult nursing?
Original post by acluelessstuent
I am in 6th form currently and want to go into adult nursing in the RAF. But I am a bit confused about the reserve and regular roles? what is the difference between them two? Which one do I need to apply through for adult nursing?

Regulars are full time service people, that's their full time job and career. Reservists have a civilian career and serve in the Reserves at weekends, evenings etc. To join the Reserves as a nurse (I assume there is a Reserves medical unit) you'd have to be an NHS qualified nurse who wanted something more interesting to do at weekends (there's much more to it than that, but not at this stage). You seem to want to join the regular RAF.
Original post by threeportdrift
Regulars are full time service people, that's their full time job and career. Reservists have a civilian career and serve in the Reserves at weekends, evenings etc. To join the Reserves as a nurse (I assume there is a Reserves medical unit) you'd have to be an NHS qualified nurse who wanted something more interesting to do at weekends (there's much more to it than that, but not at this stage). You seem to want to join the regular RAF.

Oh ok
Yes I would like to join the regulars role and actually be involved with the RAF full time.
So on the website for the requirements it says I have to commit for 12 years. If I want to change my role from regular to reserve, is that possible or not?
Reply 3
Original post by acluelessstuent
Oh ok
Yes I would like to join the regulars role and actually be involved with the RAF full time.
So on the website for the requirements it says I have to commit for 12 years. If I want to change my role from regular to reserve, is that possible or not?

It is possible to transfer, but there's rules around things likecwhen you are allowed to leave, fitness to continue serving etc.

However, as an ex-Recruiter I would say don't get too far into thinking about leaving before you've even started.
This is sort of related to the conversation. But I'm more asking this because you're an ex-recruiter! I'm really interested in applying to the student nurse programme in the RAF, and they seem to be recruiting qualified nurses but not student nurses at the moment. Do they recruit student nurses in line with university applications dates? I understand that student nurses in the RAF study in a Uni in Birmingham. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Surnia
It is possible to transfer, but there's rules around things likecwhen you are allowed to leave, fitness to continue serving etc.
However, as an ex-Recruiter I would say don't get too far into thinking about leaving before you've even started.

This is sort of related to the conversation. But l'm
more asking this because you're an ex-recruiter
I'm really interested in applying to the student
nurse programme in the RAF, and they seem to
be recruiting qualified nurses but not student
nurses at the moment. Do they recruit student
nurses in line with university applications dates? I
understand that student nurses in the RAF study in
a Uni in Birmingham. Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by wsomerville316
This is sort of related to the conversation. But l'm
more asking this because you're an ex-recruiter
I'm really interested in applying to the student
nurse programme in the RAF, and they seem to
be recruiting qualified nurses but not student
nurses at the moment. Do they recruit student
nurses in line with university applications dates? I
understand that student nurses in the RAF study in
a Uni in Birmingham. Thanks

Sorry, I'm a very ex-Recruiter and don't know what the current policy is, nor do I have any contacts to ask.
Original post by Surnia
Sorry, I'm a very ex-Recruiter and don't know what the current policy is, nor do I have any contacts to ask.

No problem - Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest