The Student Room Group

Any chance for an American to get a job as a barrister?

Hi all, so I'm an American with an offer from Nottingham to do the Senior Status LLB starting this September. However, I'm starting to have a few reservations about doing it after looking at how much it'll cost in loans.

This is something I had already considered, but I'm starting to wonder if it's actually possible for an American to make it all the way to the Bar. Are there any other Americans out there who have done it or do any of you know of any Americans who have?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by the_jacksown
Hi all, so I'm an American with an offer from Nottingham to do the Senior Status LLB starting this September. However, I'm starting to have a few reservations about doing it after looking at how much it'll cost in loans.

This is something I had already considered, but I'm starting to wonder if it's actually possible for an American to make it all the way to the Bar. Are there any other Americans out there who have done it or do any of you know of any Americans who have?

obviously because we have equality of opportunity the fact that you are american makes little to no difference, the questions really being raised by you are do internationals make it to the bar? The answer is undoubtedly yes. The other question you're really asking is, is it likely that you personally will make the bar. The answer to that is, absolutely no way to tell. If you get a 1st in your nottingham degree or a strong 2:1 then maybe. Though in reality that is all that can be said, no one will be naive enough to say that you 'will' or even that you 'wont'.
Reply 2

I don't think your being American will matter to chambers. I did a number of minis and no one seemed to think it was bizarre for me to consider the bar.

Two points which may be an issue. First, immigration. Do you have the right to remain in the UK and work here? If not, working here as a self-employed barrister may be a difficult route to pursue indefinite leave to remain. Secondly, the bar is immensely competitive. You should go in with open eyes about how difficult obtaining pupillage is. My apologies if you're aware of this already. Have a look at the statistics and posts here for a sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by jjarvis
I don't think your being American will matter to chambers. I did a number of minis and no one seemed to think it was bizarre for me to consider the bar.

Two points which may be an issue. First, immigration. Do you have the right to remain in the UK and work here? If not, working here as a self-employed barrister may be a difficult route to pursue indefinite leave to remain. Secondly, the bar is immensely competitive. You should go in with open eyes about how difficult obtaining pupillage is. My apologies if you're aware of this already. Have a look at the statistics and posts here for a sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much for your reply. I take it from your post that you're American also?

The biggest problem I'm facing is immigration. I've been in contact with the Bar Council and they said they can sponsor a visa for me if I choose the self-employed route, but I was leaning toward the employed bar anyway. I have looked into the competitiveness of becoming a barrister and I recognize that it will be difficult, but I'm prepared. I've already done quite a bit of research and I also have a friend whose dad works in a big Transatlantic firm where I should be able to get some work experience. Thanks again!
Reply 4
Thanks so much for your reply. I take it from your post that you're American also?

The biggest problem I'm facing is immigration. I've been in contact with the Bar Council and they said they can sponsor a visa for me if I choose the self-employed route, but I was leaning toward the employed bar anyway. I have looked into the competitiveness of becoming a barrister and I recognize that it will be difficult, but I'm prepared. I've already done quite a bit of research and I also have a friend whose dad works in a big Transatlantic firm where I should be able to get some work experience. Thanks again!

Half American, half English, and have dual citizenship so don't need a visa.

Work experience in a law firm is helpful, but what you really need are mini-pupillages. Hard to get before you start uni, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jjarvis
Half American, half English, and have dual citizenship so don't need a visa.

Work experience in a law firm is helpful, but what you really need are mini-pupillages. Hard to get before you start uni, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah lucky you, I'd kill for that dual citizenship! Yeah I'll definitely start seeking out those mini-pupillages as soon as I can. Considering I'm only on a two year course I think I'll need to start knocking them out rather quickly.
Reply 6
Ah lucky you, I'd kill for that dual citizenship! Yeah I'll definitely start seeking out those mini-pupillages as soon as I can. Considering I'm only on a two year course I think I'll need to start knocking them out rather quickly.

I did mine spring of first year and the summer between first and second. Then decided to train as a solicitor and stopped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might do well to get a clear understanding of what solicitors and barristers respectively do in England.

Although there are employed barristers, virtually no-one at the bar starts out with that ambition. Either they are people who decide after qualifying that the life of a barrister in independent practice is not for them or they are unable to secure a pupillage or tenancy in private practice.

This may change over time because of changes to the way criminal legal aid operates, but outside of government service, the employed bar always tended to be regarded as second class solicitors because until recently barristers could not become partners in law firms and had to remain the hired help.
Reply 8
Original post by nulli tertius
You might do well to get a clear understanding of what solicitors and barristers respectively do in England.

Although there are employed barristers, virtually no-one at the bar starts out with that ambition. Either they are people who decide after qualifying that the life of a barrister in independent practice is not for them or they are unable to secure a pupillage or tenancy in private practice.

This may change over time because of changes to the way criminal legal aid operates, but outside of government service, the employed bar always tended to be regarded as second class solicitors because until recently barristers could not become partners in law firms and had to remain the hired help.

Hmm this is very interesting, I was definitely not aware of this stigma about the employed bar. Regardless, the replies on this post have made me reconsider the barrister route and I'm actually looking into doing the LPC after uni as I've been looking into doing a vacation scheme (and hopefully securing a training contract) with a major international firm.

They say you're meant to apply for training contracts in your penultimate year of university but since my degree is only two years long does that mean I should already be looking into applications?
Reply 9
Hmm this is very interesting, I was definitely not aware of this stigma about the employed bar. Regardless, the replies on this post have made me reconsider the barrister route and I'm actually looking into doing the LPC after uni as I've been looking into doing a vacation scheme (and hopefully securing a training contract) with a major international firm.

They say you're meant to apply for training contracts in your penultimate year of university but since my degree is only two years long does that mean I should already be looking into applications?

Yes!
I also did a two year law degree and I graduated last year. We were advised within the first weeks of starting the course to pursue vac schemes/pupillage etc, and had to hit the ground running...

I am going down the bar route, however we too were advised to consider applying for pupillage at the end of our first year. I didn't heed this warning, and in some respects I am happy I didn't:
I think I present a better more holistic application now that I have gone through the BPTC.

But in someways I wish I had as I would have had an extra year to navigate and understand this tedious and sometimes complex process...
Reply 10
Original post by vnupe
Yes!
I also did a two year law degree and I graduated last year. We were advised within the first weeks of starting the course to pursue vac schemes/pupillage etc, and had to hit the ground running...

I am going down the bar route, however we too were advised to consider applying for pupillage at the end of our first year. I didn't heed this warning, and in some respects I am happy I didn't:
I think I present a better more holistic application now that I have gone through the BPTC.

But in someways I wish I had as I would have had an extra year to navigate and understand this tedious and sometimes complex process...

Ah I see, thanks so much for your advice! If you don't mind just one more question, roughly how many vac schemes and training contracts do you think I should be applying to? Should I just blanket a lot of different firms? I suppose if I don't get one this year I could apply in my final year or during the LPC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending