The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Unit 2 May 21st 2013

Hey everyone!

This is for anyone taking the exam next Tuesday to discuss revision techniques etc.

If you just took the Geog1 exam today, I hope it went well!

:smile: :biggrin:

p.s. this is for the AS-Level AQA Geographical Skills (Unit 2) exam
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

is this the fieldwork/research exam?
Reply 2
yea
Reply 3
Original post by AdebayoAkinfenwa
is this the fieldwork/research exam?

Yep! :smile:

What is everyone's prediction, in terms of: Will it be Rivers based or Population based.
I've done rivers already, so I kind of want it to be for Population! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by CurtisDean
Yep! :smile:

What is everyone's prediction, in terms of: Will it be Rivers based or Population based.
I've done rivers already, so I kind of want it to be for Population! :smile:

It will be rivers, Jan13 was population and at pretty much has always alternated.

I wanted population too!
Reply 5
Original post by SimpleTom
It will be rivers, Jan13 was population and at pretty much has always alternated.

I wanted population too!

I am inclined to agree.. however.....

There are no more Jan exams -
the current GeoSkills alternates between Pop and Rivers because there are Jan exams... so since there aren't any next year. Do you think they will slip another Pop in and next year to rivers instead to throw us off guard? Lol
Reply 6
I am inclined to agree.. however.....

There are no more Jan exams -
the current GeoSkills alternates between Pop and Rivers because there are Jan exams... so since there aren't any next year. Do you think they will slip another Pop in and next year to rivers instead to throw us off guard? Lol

I don't really think it matters too much to be honest - all of those river and population questions can be answered without revision pretty much. I am going just to do every past paper since Jan 09 and I should be sorted, skills questions always repeat :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hey guys, what are your views on the GEOG1 exam today?
And what do you think is the best way to revise for the skills paper apart from past papers obviously :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I think half of it is just memorising your fieldwork for part B and the other apparently is just interpreting graphs and stuff is that right
Reply 9
Im doing my fieldwork on Sand Dunes, but I dont know how to revise them! Help! How can I revise my fieldwork ...?
Reply 10
Original post by lucasluke
I think half of it is just memorising your fieldwork for part B and the other apparently is just interpreting graphs and stuff is that right

Yeah. And also assessing the advantages and disadvantages of data presentation techniques.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Ammyxm
Im doing my fieldwork on Sand Dunes, but I dont know how to revise them! Help! How can I revise my fieldwork ...?

Focus on the methods you used to collect data, your hypothesis, the reason for collecting data, what you discovered, evaluation of your methods (limitations and improvements), risk assessments. How you could present your data and the general skills that you think would be appropriate for your fieldwork (this is kinda just revision for skills, but seeing how you can link it to your fieldwork)

Hope what I wrote makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by souyasmin
And what do you think is the best way to revise for the skills paper apart from past papers obviously :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it is best to make yourself aware of the different skills - i.e. map skills, cartographic skills (I can never spell it right) etc. you should really revise how to use the skills, maybe even in your fieldwork. Also, try to revise the advantages and disadvantages of using the skills i.e. Spearmans rank of coefficient, Flow lines etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Ammyxm

Write out model answers and learn them, that's what I've done, my teacher was really helpful and printed out all the past questions for us and they're all pretty much the same, just worded differently. Include as much information about your study as you can detail is essential for getting the maximum amount of marks on these questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souyasmin

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be aware of the following methods of Data presentation
Flow line maps
Desire line maps
Trip line maps
Chloropleth maps
Isoline maps
Dot maps
Bar and line graphs
Scatter graphs
Pie charts
Triangular graphs
Kite diagrams
Radial diagrams
Logarithmic scale graphs

There's a great section in the A2 book with information on these and how to use them, I know the exams only in a week but I recommend getting hold of the book and reading through this section!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone :smile: I'm retaking the exam. The model answers I learnt didn't get me many marks. One of the questions was to describe a method of data presentation and I only got 2/5. I wrote about how I used scatter graphs for hydraulic radius and what I plotted on the x and y axis. I talked about the line of best fit to see the trend and how I used Spearman's rank to work out if my results were statistically significant. Do you know how I can get more marks?
Reply 17
Do you think spearman's rank will come up in question 1? And do they give the formula's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone!

This is for anyone taking the exam next Tuesday to discuss revision techniques etc.

If you just took the Geog1 exam today, I hope it went well!

:smile: :biggrin:

Good luck for all your exams Curtis! :biggrin:
Original post by polka dots :)
Hey everyone :smile: I'm retaking the exam. The model answers I learnt didn't get me many marks. One of the questions was to describe a method of data presentation and I only got 2/5. I wrote about how I used scatter graphs for hydraulic radius and what I plotted on the x and y axis. I talked about the line of best fit to see the trend and how I used Spearman's rank to work out if my results were statistically significant. Do you know how I can get more marks?

Draw a rough diagram under your answer of the graph with a line of best fit, showing what it looked like, and circle an anomaly. You shouldn't have mentioned spearmans rank, that's data analysis. Talk about what kind of correlation was present and what the trend was, talk about how many plots you put on the graph, and how you angled your line of best fit (through the mean average of both sets of data angled to pass through as many plots as possible) hope I helped

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending