The Student Room Group

Financial Management (Finance) decision support

Hello,
I'm an international student and I've been offered a place for MSc Financial Management in Hull (£8000), Keele (Finance & Management, £3900), Lancshaire (£5000) and for Finance in Bradford (£9000). I'm undecided and not sure which offer to take. I've been comparing different rankings:

Hull University Business School:
- Eduniversal: 3 Palmes (EXCELLENT Business Schools). Deans’ recommandation rate 2012: 91%
- Guardian: 64/116
- Thecompleteuniversityguide: 36/114
- Financial Times: -

Keele Management School:
- Eduniversal: -
- Guardian: 57/116
- Thecompleteuniversityguide: 39/114

Lancashire Business School:
- Eduniversal: -
- Guardian: 72/116
- Thecompleteuniversityguide: 59/114

Bradford School of Management:
- Eduniversal: 4 Palmes (TOP Business Schools). Deans’ recommandation rate 2012: 154%
- Guardian: 63/116
- Thecompleteuniversityguide: 57/114
- Financial Times European Business School Rankings 2012: 42

According to the rankings Hull and Bradford would be the best choice, they also hold the Triple Crown accreditations of Equis, AMBA and AACSB. Compared with Keele and Lancashire the fees are also much higher (why that?). As stated by the Financial Times Bradford has one of the best business schools in Europe, how come they're not even ranked as one of the top 10 universities in the UK (guardian/ thecompleteuniversityguide)? My first choice was Hull, since they were the first one who made an offer, or would you chose Bradford (or one of the other choices)? Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hull is a joke, they give out offers to anyone willing to pay their fees. Search threads on Hull and you will find out some interesting stuff.
Reply 2
I didn't know that, so you're saying it's a bad choice? How about the other options? My grades are decent but not good enough for LSE, Cambridge, Warwick etc., hence I have to chose one of the 2nd Tier, 3rd Tier universities.
Reply 3
I really don't know much about those other programs. Have you tried UCL, Cass or Imperial?
Reply 4
As far as I see there's no MSc Finance programme at UCL and to be honest, Cass (£23,000 + cost of living) and Imperial (£28,200 + cost of living) are too expensive. According to the rankings Hull isn't half bad, the Business school also possess a triple Crown accreditation. I don't know anything about Bradford, but according to the Financial Times the Bradford University School of Management seems to be among the best european business schools. It's just strange that they're not even ranked as one of the top 10 universities in the UK (guardian/ thecompleteuniversityguide). How come there's such a big difference in ranking, is Bradford any good?

PS: Thanks for your prompt reply :smile:
Reply 5
Well, if you get into a good uni, even if it costs a lot, you will most likely get the money back by finding a great job afterwards. Getting into more competitive spheres, like IB is much more difficult from less know Uni's. UCL has more mathematics orientated Finance degrees like Financial computing/mathematics/risk management. Might try those if you have a decent math/econ background.
Reply 6
You seem to want a program that is good but not expensive. So I think with this in mind there are certain uni's that fit that balance of being very good but not on same level as lse and warwick. Hull is not great you should look into Durham which is a great uni, also Manchester uni is brand name and is well known, also Edinburgh, Bristol. Also I think Durham is a good option as it is well respected, rated well in research and the price is not as bad as Manchester and Edinburgh. Also dont just look at MSC Finance look at MSC Accounting and Finance as this tends to be less competitive so apply to both courses.

Also I have no idea how when you thought I should apply to second tier uni's you came up with that list, most of them are not good unis.

Here is my list of second tier uni's if I had a 2.1 around 65% (personally I haven't finished uni yet couple weeks left lol)

1)Durham
2)Manchester
3)Edinburgh
4)St Andrews
5)Bristol
6) Strathclyde (got an excellent business school probably best in scotland but hasnt got the brand name of Edinburgh.

Hope that helps.
Reply 7
Hi I go to Bradford and the business school is quite highly rated. It's a few miles out of the city centre, but there's a free bus for students that goes every half hour. The management campus is really nice with a good library and facilities. I would think that the business school and university differ in terms of rankings because for a lot of courses it isn't that great a university any more.

I think they've quoted it at £80m redoing up the campus and it looks a lot nicer now, but the city has its' problems: high crime, multicultural tensions, socially deprived areas.

Where as Keele and Lancaster are seen as more quaint English towns. Hull is also not that desirable an area to live in and regularly features in the top 10 worst cities. I would consider going to the open days before making your choice, but Bradford is a good school in a not so nice area.
Reply 8
Thank you for your answers. I also applied for other universities and am waiting for response. Since I have a Bachelor's degree in Economics it doesn't have to be necessary Financial Management, though I'd prefer a more business related programme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending