The Student Room Group

method marks

So the thought of method marks just crossed my mind.

If you get the correct answer and show your workings, but the method is different from the mark scheme, do you not get any marks?

Also, most maths papers are calculator papers. When you come to an equation which you can plug into a calculator and get the right answer, naturally you would do it. However on the mark schemes, it seems like they want you to expand the brackets etc and find the answer that way.
Does that mean you won't get full marks even though your method and answer are correct, you just didn't go the extra mile by simplifying the equation etc. I mean, otherwise they should just make it a non -calculator paper.
Reply 1
Original post by eggfriedrice
So the thought of method marks just crossed my mind.

If you get the correct answer and show your workings, but the method is different from the mark scheme, do you not get any marks?

I believe you receive full credit.
Also, most maths papers are calculator papers. When you come to an equation which you can plug into a calculator and get the right answer, naturally you would do it. However on the mark schemes, it seems like they want you to expand the brackets etc and find the answer that way.
Does that mean you won't get full marks even though your method and answer are correct, you just didn't go the extra mile by simplifying the equation etc. I mean, otherwise they should just make it a non -calculator paper.

Showing your working, and demonstrating your ability rather than your calculator's is a good idea.
Reply 2
it depends, if they ask you to calculate it using a certain method you can actually loose all the marks if you don't use that method.
Reply 3
Original post by joostan
I believe you receive full credit.

Showing your working, and demonstrating your ability rather than your calculator's is a good idea.

Hmm. Well have a look at Q 7 iii
IMG_20130516_193928.jpg

My working ;

IMG_20130516_193901.jpg

As you can see, I used the sum of equation, plugged the numbers in (wrote it down), then got the answer from the calculator. Granted I could have simplified it a bit more, but not by much.

Now check the mark scheme
IMG_20130516_193913.jpg

The amount of working out there is for that simple question is unnecessary in my opinion.

What do you think?
Reply 4
IMG_20130516_193928.jpg

My working ;

IMG_20130516_193901.jpg

As you can see, I used the sum of equation, plugged the numbers in (wrote it down), then got the answer from the calculator. Granted I could have simplified it a bit more, but not by much.

IMG_20130516_193913.jpg

The amount of working out there is for that simple question is unnecessary in my opinion.

What do you think?

I'm with you on this one. But for five marks, though perhaps they wanted something more :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by joostan
I'm with you on this one. But for five marks, though perhaps they wanted something more :s-smilie:

Ah, glad we're on the same page. I thought I was missing something.
Thanks for your input :biggrin:
Reply 6
Ah, glad we're on the same page. I thought I was missing something.
Thanks for your input :biggrin:

Anytime :smile:
Original post by joostan

Hi, so would you just use the formula and your calculator or do the whole working out, for the 5 mark q ?
Reply 8
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
Hi, so would you just use the formula and your calculator or do the whole working out, for the 5 mark q ?

That's what I would have done yeah. What the markscheme states is not only unnecessary but also time consuming - though in C2 you shouldn't be short of time :smile:
Original post by joostan
That's what I would have done yeah. What the markscheme states is not only unnecessary but also time consuming - though in C2 you shouldn't be short of time :smile:

i suppose its best to show all working out as on front of the paper, you get no marks for an answer only.:smile:
Reply 10
IMG_20130516_193928.jpg

My working ;

IMG_20130516_193901.jpg

IMG_20130516_193913.jpg

What do you think?

I don't think you'd lose marks for that, this is a solomon paper not OCR? the mark scheme is likely to award full marks for what you've written (speaking as someone who would do exactly the same working)
Reply 11
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
i suppose its best to show all working out as on front of the paper, you get no marks for an answer only.:smile:

Exactly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest