The Student Room Group

how to start revising to achieve grade 9s for GCSEs

i am in december of year 11 and aiming for grade 9s and getting decent grades but dont know how to start revising for my actual gcse i am doing higher for everything
th subjects i chose are
computer science
maths
triple science
english lit and lang
business
religious studies
history
how should i start revising and what should i do
Original post by student07tc
i am in december of year 11 and aiming for grade 9s and getting decent grades but dont know how to start revising for my actual gcse i am doing higher for everything
th subjects i chose are
computer science
maths
triple science
english lit and lang
business
religious studies
history

I would start by going over past tests and exam questions to see where you have lost marks, so you know where to put your focus in the beginning.
Original post by student07tc
th subjects i chose are
computer science
maths
triple science
english lit and lang
business
religious studies
history

Hi @student07tc,

I think it's important that you devise some sort of revision schedule to ensure that your revision sessions are going smoothly and coherently. A routine that worked for me, was to revise the same subjects I had that day in school. I would go over the notes I made in class that day, re-read them, refine and elaborate on them. Following that, I would also go over topical past paper questions to apply what I had just studied into context. This method of revision also helped me retain the information for longer.

Although you would hear so many people recommend you to go through past-paper exam questions as a method of revision, it truly was the method that helped me and so many other students achieve the results they needed. However, just doing the past paper isn't necessarily sufficient on their own. If you get any questions wrong, or have lost marks in certain areas- try to go through the mark scheme to understand how that's happened. Oftentimes, for some papers you'll find comments and notes from the examiners (examiner reports). You'll find lots of useful notes you should keep in mind when tackling these past papers.

Finally, I think it's also important to find revision techniques that work best for you. Mind maps, flashcards, cornell note method, blurting etc... If you wish, you can read more about revision techniques and tips here: https://bit.ly/3uCzvZl

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest