The Student Room Group

Strong Men Are More Right Wing

Strong men are more likely to be right-wing while weedier specimens tend to have more liberal views, a study suggests.

Researchers found that men's opinions on redistribution of wealth could be predicted by their upper body strength, with powerful men more likely to take a conservative stance of protecting their own interests.

In contrast men who were just as wealthy but were of a flimsier build were less opposed to policies like those of Labour leader Ed Miliband, which would involve surrendering some of their wealth to society.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10061462/Stronger-men-are-more-right-wing.html

Is there no end to the bizarre stuff psychology researchers will look in to?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well that's pretty obvious, didn't need a study.

(Your title is wrong also)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by bertstare
Well that's pretty obvious, didn't need a study.

(Your title is wrong also)

****! Thank you!
I would consider myself built and I'm strong right wing. My friend who's built like a coathanger is left wing.
Reply 4
What if you're bulking? :shrugs:
Reply 5
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Chuck Norris, Charlton Heston, Michael Caine, James Woods, Kurt Russel and Tom Selleck

vs

Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Michael Moore, Jerry Springer, Janeane Garofalo, Ed Norton, Ben Affleck and David Spade.

Of course the weak support leftist causes because it's all about giving up your freedoms to be 'looked after' by other people. The strong just want to be left alone as they can take care of themselves.
Reply 6
Makes logical sense why, though it can't apply in every individual case.
Reply 7
Of course, all this just melts into oblivion when strong and weak come together at Westminster.
this is pretty obvious.

No one ever says "right wing pussy".
I was the only right winger in my class in politics, my teacher was a labour man, majority of people in my class were solid labour, me, well i was Tory/UKIP, and my teacher always called UKIP a fringe party that will never get anywhere, nevertheless, i pretty much dominated every lesson vocally, and funnily enough im quite built (not being big headed I SWER)

And when UKIP done amazing in the council elections, my politics teacher was like HOW CAN PEOPLE VOTE FOR THEM, he was quite scrawny aswell haha!
Miners were well built and were some of the biggest lefties going.
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ

I think we're talking modern Guadian types, rather than miners, Soviets, revolutionaries, etc
(edited 10 years ago)

Plus the AFA, Irish Republicans, etc
Resonates Darwinism --> not strong, not much status, power or money --> weaker --> left wing

That can be answered by this:

"They found that wealthy men with strong arms were less likely to support economic redistribution, or the fairer sharing of wealth among society, and unsurprisingly strong men with less money supported the policy.

But among physically weaker men, the pattern was reversed. Those with plenty of money were less opposed to redistributing it, while those who were poorer were less supportive."

In otherwords poorer leftists are stronger, while richer leftists are weaker.
Reply 15
Smells awfully Darwinist in here.

Plus if you take this study on its word then you should also look at the study stating that left wing are generally more intelligent than the right wing.

But of course that doesn't fit your narrative so you dismiss it as trash while praising this DM sponsored study.
Original post by Carecup

Plus if you take this study on its word then you should also look at the study stating that left wing are generally more intelligent than the right wing.

But of course that doesn't fit your narrative so you dismiss it as trash while praising this DM sponsored study.

Literally was about to say this. :tongue:
Original post by Carecup

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Literally was about to say this. :tongue:

Original post by SpiggyTopes
Strong men are more likely to be right-wing while weedier specimens tend to have more liberal views, a study suggests.

Actually the way the study was presented in the OP was completely incorrect. The study suggests that stronger men support their own interests. In other words: poor strong men are leftist, rich strong men are right-wing.

Considering that more people are poor than rich, the study suggest the opposite of what the original post suggest: instead that strong men are more likely to be left-wing.

Though what the study seems to suggest is not anything to do with connecting physical strength to political attitudes. But that stronger men are more likely to base their political attitudes on their own benefit (though that is an interpretation of the data).

Edit: As a side note, am I the only one that actually read the article?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Jordan-James
I was the only right winger in my class in politics, my teacher was a labour man, majority of people in my class were solid labour, me, well i was Tory/UKIP, and my teacher always called UKIP a fringe party that will never get anywhere, nevertheless, i pretty much dominated every lesson vocally, and funnily enough im quite built (not being big headed I SWER)

And when UKIP done amazing in the council elections, my politics teacher was like HOW CAN PEOPLE VOTE FOR THEM, he was quite scrawny aswell haha!

:facepalm:
well just look at nick clegg

useless feeble weed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending