The Student Room Group

Need help on levels!

Can anyone tell me what it is like doing two sciences? I'm thinking about taking int 2 biology and chemistry next year and I want to know what chemistry is like as I have never taken it before? :s-smilie:

Also,I'm thinking about taking all int 2s in 5th year and then do highers in 6th year but I want some advice on this.Should I do a mix of int 2s and highers or should I just stick to int 2s next year? Help please!

Thanks!
:smile:
A lot of work in the science courses overlap, so you may find some aspects are the same, which means you just need to learn one set of information.
If you're planning to go university or college, you'd need to have highers but if you really don't feel comfortable taking them, stay at Int 2.
Chemistry is quite a nice subject, if you understand it. If possible, you should try and find out how many people crashed Int 2 in fifth year, and then see what grades they achieved. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by greenladybird
A lot of work in the science courses overlap, so you may find some aspects are the same, which means you just need to learn one set of information.
If you're planning to go university or college, you'd need to have highers but if you really don't feel comfortable taking them, stay at Int 2.
Chemistry is quite a nice subject, if you understand it. If possible, you should try and find out how many people crashed Int 2 in fifth year, and then see what grades they achieved. :smile:

I'm going into college when I leave school at the end of 6th year :smile:

is the jump from std grade to in2 big or small?
Original post by jellybean97
I'm going into college when I leave school at the end of 6th year :smile:

is the jump from std grade to in2 big or small?

Minuscule. Infact, some subjects get easier. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Bromaldehyde
Minuscule. Infact, some subjects get easier. :smile:

Oh that's great! Think I will take int 2s in 5th year then :smile:
Oh that's great! Think I will take int 2s in 5th year then :smile:

If you don't mind what did you take in 4th year and what are planning to take in 5th year ?

Also, what grades do you think you will get this year ?
Can anyone tell me what it is like doing two sciences? I'm thinking about taking int 2 biology and chemistry next year and I want to know what chemistry is like as I have never taken it before? :s-smilie:

Also,I'm thinking about taking all int 2s in 5th year and then do highers in 6th year but I want some advice on this.Should I do a mix of int 2s and highers or should I just stick to int 2s next year? Help please!

Thanks!
:smile:

If you can get credit grades go straight for the highers.

Int 2 is things like the mole, atom structure, binding types, formula, carbon compounds, fuels, acids, bases and metals. Have a look at BBC bite size to give you a feel of what the course is like.

I'd also recommend taking chemistry because its such an interesting subject and I really enjoyed it!
Also because it overlaps with both biology and physics, I don't really remember physics and biology overlapping that much at higher.

The over lapping makes it slightly easier as you'll get a better knowledge on the specific thing due to different teaching and it being repeated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Officegirl4
If you can get credit grades go straight for the highers.

Int 2 is things like the mole, atom structure, binding types, formula, carbon compounds, fuels, acids, bases and metals. Have a look at BBC bite size to give you a feel of what the course is like.

I'd also recommend taking chemistry because its such an interesting subject and I really enjoyed it!
Also because it overlaps with both biology and physics, I don't really remember physics and biology overlapping that much at higher.

The over lapping makes it slightly easier as you'll get a better knowledge on the specific thing due to different teaching and it being repeated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've taken standard grade maths,drama,english,music,geography,art,french and int 1 biology

I'm thinking about taking int 2 maths,english,biology,chemistry and I can't decide between Business Management and Admin

I really enjoy science and I think doing biology and chemistry would be interesting

I honestly don't have a clue what grades I'm going to get haha :s
Honestly if you get Credits in Standard Grades I'd say go for Highers :smile:

How were your prelim results ?
Reply 9
Honestly if you get Credits in Standard Grades I'd say go for Highers :smile:

How were your prelim results ?

My prelim results were not too bad:

I was only 2% away from getting a 3 in maths

I got a 4 for english

I got a 5 for geography

I got a 1 for music

I got a B in Biology

I don't know what I got in Art

I got a 2 in Drama

And I got a 3 in French
I'd say wait and see what results you get in August.
Reply 11
I'd say wait and see what results you get in August.

Yeah I just hope I get mostly credits :smile:
Reply 12
If there are any subjects you'd like to take to higher then I'd chose them over an int 2 you may not want to do? Choose the subjects that you enjoy and what will contribute to the job you want to do when you leave, and whether than means you choose int 2s or highers, it shouldn't really matter. I think taking one or two would be good, but taking 5 int 2's would be good too:smile:

I really liked Int 2 Chemistry(even if most of the people in my year hate it). If you've got a good teacher/good learning resources then it's not too difficult. Unit 2 can be a little tricky because there's a lot of margin for simple errors reading the hydrocarbons and because it's easy to mix up the names of the reactions, but Unit 1 and Unit 3 are not that bad. Just make sure you ask if there's anything you're not sure about as it makes the course a whole lot easier. There's also a lot of crossover with biology(especially with the last topic in Unit 2, as it's all to do with carbohydrates, proteins and fats).

Int 2 Biology is great as well. From what I've heard from friends doing Int 1, it isn't too big of a jump(there's different units though I think as there isn't a lot of focus on plants). I unluckily had a bad teacher this past year so didn't enjoy a lot of unit 2, but there's a website (google oronsay int 2, it's a bed and breakfast website but somehow has revision materials) which has power points which are brilliant to study from as the notes are in depth.
Reply 13
Original post by Claire__
If there are any subjects you'd like to take to higher then I'd chose them over an int 2 you may not want to do? Choose the subjects that you enjoy and what will contribute to the job you want to do when you leave, and whether than means you choose int 2s or highers, it shouldn't really matter. I think taking one or two would be good, but taking 5 int 2's would be good too:smile:

I really liked Int 2 Chemistry(even if most of the people in my year hate it). If you've got a good teacher/good learning resources then it's not too difficult. Unit 2 can be a little tricky because there's a lot of margin for simple errors reading the hydrocarbons and because it's easy to mix up the names of the reactions, but Unit 1 and Unit 3 are not that bad. Just make sure you ask if there's anything you're not sure about as it makes the course a whole lot easier. There's also a lot of crossover with biology(especially with the last topic in Unit 2, as it's all to do with carbohydrates, proteins and fats).

Int 2 Biology is great as well. From what I've heard from friends doing Int 1, it isn't too big of a jump(there's different units though I think as there isn't a lot of focus on plants). I unluckily had a bad teacher this past year so didn't enjoy a lot of unit 2, but there's a website (google oronsay int 2, it's a bed and breakfast website but somehow has revision materials) which has power points which are brilliant to study from as the notes are in depth.

Ohh thank you for your help! I'll take that on board! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending