The Student Room Group

Confused with university terminology

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Lecture: A class where students take notes from what is being 'lectured' to them by a subject tutor. The most typical form of teaching at university.

Seminar: A class where debates and dialogue is encouraged, the exchange of ideas and the formation of arguments, facilitated by a tutor. Almost like a conference or rather a group meeting for discussion.

Tutorial: A one-on-one or a very small group session with a given tutor.

Semester: A half-year term at University.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bouffe
Lecture: A class where students take notes from what is being 'lectured' to them by a subject tutor. The most typical form of teaching at university.

Seminar: A class where debates and dialogue is encouraged, the exchange of ideas and the formation of arguments, facilitated by a tutor. Almost like a conference or rather a group meeting for discussion.

Tutorial: A one-one-one or a very small group session with a given tutor.

Semester: A half-year term at University.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SFeet
Thanks for the answer, I also heard that in you have to give a lot of presentations at university, in which one of those types of classes do you give presentations?

I'd say you're more likely to do presentations in seminars or possibly group tutorials. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by twinlensreflex
I'd say you're more likely to do presentations in seminars or possibly group tutorials. :smile:

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SFeet
Approximately how many people form a seminar?

Depends on your course size really...my course is fairly small so there's only sixteen/seventeen of us in a seminar.
In addition to what bouffe said, some unis use the terms seminar and tutorial interchangeably.

Lectures can have anywhere between about 50 and a few hundred people in them, but size doesn't really matter as it's pretty much all one way communication anyway. Seminars have, at least on my course, about 15 people in them. I've never had to do a presentation on my course despite being at the end if my second year (I have to do millions at work, but that's by the by!) but if I did then it would be in a seminar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Origami Bullets
In addition to what bouffe said, some unis use the terms seminar and tutorial interchangeably.

Lectures can have anywhere between about 50 and a few hundred people in them, but size doesn't really matter as it's pretty much all one way communication anyway. Seminars have, at least on my course, about 15 people in them. I've never had to do a presentation on my course despite being at the end if my second year (I have to do millions at work, but that's by the by!) but if I did then it would be in a seminar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(edited 10 years ago)
I'm a politics student, and I work in student recruitment :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending