The Student Room Group
Reply 1
colemanballs
Accepting Birmingham as my firm for law - AAB.

Which should I put as my insurance out of Newcastle and Keele? NCL is ABB and Keele is BBB. I will get AAA.

Hi i will prob be putting Birm as my first for law :smile: I would say newcastle has a better reputation, and overall better area to live, more going on. I went round keele and wasn t too keen.

Im sure you wont need your insurance!
Reply 2
Another Brummie-to-be! :-D

I suppose NCL is the better place, really. Hope I do go to Birmingham though - it's a shame the accomodation is so darn expensive! Do you know which accom. you want?
Reply 3
colemanballs

Which should I put as my insurance out of Newcastle and Keele? NCL is ABB and Keele is BBB. I will get AAA.

Forgive me for stating the obvious...but if you're going to get 3As...why need an insurance???? :tongue:

Just jokin! I'd put Newcastle...cos i've heard its a great uni and also a great city too....but Keele's also gd for law....if i were you i'd try and visit both unis then make your decision. There's no point in choosing one with no intention of actually going there if you end up having to.

G
Reply 4
colemanballs
Another Brummie-to-be! :-D

I suppose NCL is the better place, really. Hope I do go to Birmingham though - it's a shame the accomodation is so darn expensive! Do you know which accom. you want?

I sent my form off, i am going for SC its cheaper! I put tennis courts as first preference then the spinney. For the price of SC at Birm you could get ctered ensuite at any other uni! Talk about ripping off students!
Reply 5
I would definately say Newcastle. Much better known and nice place :smile:
colemanballs

Newcastle - since it has a better reputation. From what you have stated it's unlikely you would go to Newcastle or Keele - either way it's no loss for you.
Ladyluck
Hi i will prob be putting Birm as my first for law :smile: I would say newcastle has a better reputation, and overall better area to live, more going on. I went round keele and wasn t too keen.

Im sure you wont need your insurance!

if your going to get AAA why didn't u try for places like UCL, Durham, Oxford, LSE?
Reply 8
iiikewldude
if your going to get AAA why didn't u try for places like UCL, Durham, Oxford, LSE?

Maybe he liked Birmingham more? I'm going to get high As but am choosing my lowest offer of BBB for Leeds over Bristol/Durham because I way way prefered Leeds! :smile:
Reply 9
You are right - it is unlikely I am going to go anywhere other than Birmingham but it's best to be sure I go somewhere. Who knows what could happen between now and September?

I didn't apply to London unis because I can't afford to live there and whenever I go to London I always end up getting black snot in my nose. Eww! Sorry but that is just NOT healthy!

I didn't apply to Durham/York/Cambridge/Oxford because I'm not keen on the collegiate system. They're fine places but just not for me.

Birmingham is just my ideal university! Don't care about league tables and what other people think - when it comes to looking down your nose at people, no one has a longer nose than me, so sod them all I say. ;-) And besides, your degree is what YOU make of it and I should do well if I put in the work. A lot of people make much of the fact that no one at Birmingham law school got a first last year but I think that's a good thing - could it be that the course is just THAT challenging and that a 1st class degree will actually MEAN something? Imagine that!
Reply 10
colemanballs

Birmingham is just my ideal university! Don't care about league tables and what other people think - when it comes to looking down your nose at people, no one has a longer nose than me, so sod them all I say. ;-) And besides, your degree is what YOU make of it and I should do well if I put in the work. A lot of people make much of the fact that no one at Birmingham law school got a first last year but I think that's a good thing - could it be that the course is just THAT challenging and that a 1st class degree will actually MEAN something? Imagine that!

I'd like to nominate this for the best thing ever said on UKL...
Reply 11
Leekey

I second that!
Reply 12
House Badger, why did you delete your response to my post?!? :confused: Being a mod I can read deleted posts and I have read that one!!! :wink:
Reply 13
you can read deleted posts???

wow!!

i never knew you had the power to do that

you have the POWERRRRRRRRR!!!!

:biggrin:
Leekey

yep, it's definately worthy of some positive rep i say! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Ah you are a kind lot. But lets face it...theres going to be no way to hammer it into the heads of people who genuinely believe everything they read on timesonline.co.uk and guardian.co.uk

Still, just means all the more space for me at Birmingham, ;-)
Reply 16
colemanballs
Ah you are a kind lot. But lets face it...theres going to be no way to hammer it into the heads of people who genuinely believe everything they read on timesonline.co.uk and guardian.co.uk

Yeah these are the people that would sell thier own grandmother to get another 3 places up the tables...lol :biggrin:
Reply 17
colemanballs

Its not just Birmingham law department where its hard to get a first, here at UEA for law only one person has achieved a first in the past 3 years or something. I think its a universal thing for law, its just very hard to get a first.

And I am totally with you on what you said before...whats the point in going to Oxbridge just because its "the best"? I think you'll have far more fun somewhere you'll know you'll enjoy, and will probably come out of it at the end having enjoyed working for your degree, and you'll get a v.good degree for it.
Newcastle :P
Reply 19
Six or seven people got an overall first in their degree at Birmingham this year. Worth rescuing the thread to point that out methinks. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending