The Student Room Group

!!!!!!choosing a university offer!!!!!!!!

This is probably a dumb question but would do you think about putting a lower grade requirement as firm and a higher one for insurance - I can’t seem to decide on an insurance. the firm choice I want to put has a lower grade offer. Other 2 university’s have a lower grade than this one however these university aren’t really good. Though another uni that is pretty good has a higher offer. But I want to go to the one I’m putting as firm and not the one I’m considering for insurance so im really stuck about what I should do : ( and if I should put a higher grade as my insurance
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
I did this, firm is 96 ucas points for UCL whereas insurance is BBB for Bristol
(edited 10 months ago)
My brother did this, but put two courses with the same Uni! His first choice was the lower offer. He decided that it showed his commitment to the place.

I think what you need to decide is if you miss your grades (i'm sure you wont) would you wish you had got a back up? And if so would you in that situation be happy with one of the lower grade options.
Reply 3
Remember that you don't have to have an Insurance choice.
You can leave this blank if you really only want to go to your Firm choice

If the worst should happen and you don't get into your Firm choice in August, there is always Clearing, or resit / reapply next year. This is better than picking an Insurance you actually don't want to go to, and then having to waste valuable time getting out of this on Results Day.
Original post by ksdjsjksdjs
This is probably a dumb question but would do you think about putting a lower grade requirement as firm and a higher one for insurance - I can’t seem to decide on an insurance. the firm choice I want to put has a lower grade offer. Other 2 university’s have a lower grade than this one however these university aren’t really good. Though another uni that is pretty good has a higher offer. But I want to go to the one I’m putting as firm and not the one I’m considering for insurance so im really stuck about what I should do : ( and if I should put a higher grade as my insurance

Hi @ksdjsjksdjs

My offer for my firm choice was lower than my insurance as my thinking was if I didn't get into my firm choice then I'd rather take a year out and retake my A-levels and go to a uni that I wanted to go to than go somewhere I didn't really want to be. It's important that your firm choice is a uni that you want to go to and can see yourself being happy there as you're going to spend 3+ years there.

Hope this was helpful and good luck with your exams :smile:

Jess
Then in that the case theres no point putting an insurance - an insurance is there for if you miss the grades of your firm. But if your firm is lower, then if you miss those grades then you'll definitely miss the insurance so it's pretty pointless

No point having an insurance it does nothing

How close are the offers for the two unis you want to attend?

I think that it's really important to go to a University that you want to go to. As long as the course is and the University is what you want then the requirements shouldn't matter. You are going to be studying and living there for 3+ years so it's important that you like where you are and what you're doing.

Best wishes,
Dafydd
Reply 9
Which course and which universities?

Hi there!
Going to university is a really big decision so it is important that your choices are universities that you'd be really happy going to or moving away to.
When looking at an insurance choice, have a look at what you like about your firm choice (and why you like it) and try picking your insurance choice based on this! It is a big commitment going to university so it's super important that your happy with where you're going, whether that's your firm or insurance!
I hope this helps!

- Rebecca, 3rd Year UCLan
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Then in that the case theres no point putting an insurance - an insurance is there for if you miss the grades of your firm. But if your firm is lower, then if you miss those grades then you'll definitely miss the insurance so it's pretty pointless

Not necessarily - the insurance may have loads of spare places and drop it's offer.
Original post by user8937264980
No point having an insurance it does nothing

Not necessarily - the insurance may have loads of spare places and drop it's offer.
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79

Muttley, I hope you know it's a ten month old thread!

(It's not like you to bump old threads, unless there's a deleted message that I've missed)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending