The Student Room Group

C4 Integration Help!

Just unsure on how you would integrate 2^t with respect to t. Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Make the substitution u=2t u = 2^t , then du=2tln(2)dt du = 2^t ln(2) dt .

Or remember that 2t=eln(2t) 2^t = e^{ln(2^t)}
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Henry.Lister
Just unsure on how you would integrate 2^t with respect to t. Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

Think about what happens when you differentiate 2t 2^t

Spoiler

Reply 3

You have to realize that a^x=e^xlna
because if we say a^x=e^bx then taking ln's of both sides lna^x=bx which then equals xlna=bx then dividing by x, lna=b

so 2^t=e^tln2
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dualcore
You have to realize that a^x=e^xlna
because if we say a^x=e^bx then taking ln's of both sides lna^x=bx which then equals xlna=bx then dividing by x, lna=b

so 2^t=e^tln2

Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure there is no e involved?
Reply 5
Try making the integrand "look like" the derivative of something that you already know.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Anythingoo1

a^x=e^(x*ln(a))

here a=2
Reply 7

You can't really integrate it without the e involved, you can't use the rules you have for e^x on 2^x
Reply 8
Original post by Sketch
Try making the integrand "look like" the derivative of something that you already know.

Spoiler

how do you follow through with this approach?
Original post by james22
a^x=e^(x*ln(a))

here a=2

Original post by Dualcore
You can't really integrate it without the e involved, you can't use the rules you have for e^x on 2^x

y=2t y = 2^t

lny=ln2t=tln2 \ln y = \ln 2^t = t\ln 2

1y×dydt\frac{1}{y} \times \frac{dy}{dt} = ln2 \ln 2

dydt\frac{dy}{dt} = yln2=2tln2 y \ln 2 = 2^t \ln 2

I see no need for the exponential function here?
Reply 10
y=2t y = 2^t

lny=ln2t=tln2 \ln y = \ln 2^t = t\ln 2

1y×dydt\frac{1}{y} \times \frac{dy}{dt} = ln2 \ln 2

dydt\frac{dy}{dt} = yln2=2tln2 y \ln 2 = 2^t \ln 2

I see no need for the exponential function here?

You've used ln, which is the inverse of the exponential function. There is more than 1 way to do it.

BTW you haven't integrated it yet, you've differentiated it.
Original post by james22
You've used ln, which is the inverse of the exponential function. There is more than 1 way to do it.

BTW you haven't integrated it yet, you've differentiated it.

Yeah I know I said in my original post to use the differential to find the integral (basically do the reverse of the differential)

Yeah but it's not e though, is it? :tongue: Anyhow glad we got that sorted out
Reply 12
Yeah I know I said in my original post to use the differential to find the integral (basically do the reverse of the differential)

Even though your way works it doesn't really give you an appreciation of what is actually going on, It explains why you get the answer. It also gives you the insight that all functions a^x can be expressed in the a form with the base e, which is a much more useful form.
Reply 13

I'm still a bit confused. I previously understand how differentiating 2^t works, integrating is the only problem I have :/
I'm still a bit confused. I previously understand how differentiating 2^t works, integrating is the only problem I have :/

If you think about it, integrating is just the opposite of differentiating, so say you have y = 2^t, then dy/dt = 2^t ln2, so then how would you integrate 2^t?

if you integrated dy/dt = 2^t ln2, you'd get 2^t, as you can see what's different about the 2 is the ln2 part, to get from dy/dt to y, you divide by ln2, so to integrate y, you divide y by ln2
Reply 15
If you think about it, integrating is just the opposite of differentiating, so say you have y = 2^t, then dy/dt = 2^t ln2, so then how would you integrate 2^t?

if you integrated dy/dt = 2^t ln2, you'd get 2^t, as you can see what's different about the 2 is the ln2 part, to get from dy/dt to y, you divide by ln2, so to integrate y, you divide y by ln2

Cheers!
Cheers!

You got this question from the Edexcel January 2013 paper didn't you?

That damn question nearly cost me my A*...
Reply 17
Original post by 0x2a
Make the substitution u=2t u = 2^t , then du=2tln(2)dt du = 2^t ln(2) dt .

Or remember that 2t=eln(2t) 2^t = e^{ln(2^t)}

Once you have 2t=eln(2t) 2^t = e^{ln(2^t)}

How would you go about integrating it? Could you do it step-by-step please.

Because I can see how you would do the question by inspection and comparing it to the derivate of 2^t, but not how you would go about doing it with the base e.

All my friends say it's easier to pur everything to the base e, but I don't know how to go about integrating that (I reckon I am missing something obvious)

Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Giant
Once you have 2t=eln(2t) 2^t = e^{ln(2^t)}

How would you go about integrating it? Could you do it step-by-step please.

Because I can see how you would do the question by inspection and comparing it to the derivate of 2^t, but not how you would go about doing it with the base e.

All my friends say it's easier to pur everything to the base e, but I don't know how to go about integrating that (I reckon I am missing something obvious)

Thanks.

eln(2t)=etln(2) e^{ln(2^t)} = e^{t ln(2)} (Law of logarithms). Now exdx=ex \displaystyle \int e^x dx = e^x . But here you have to notice that you have to apply the "inverse chain rule" since the x is t*ln(2). So you divide the anti-derivative by ln(2).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Proflash
how do you follow through with this approach?

You're essentially multiplying by 1, but instead the integral now looks like:

ln2ln2×2xdx=1ln22xln2dx\displaystyle \int \dfrac{\ln 2}{\ln 2} \times 2^x\, \text{d}x = \dfrac{1}{\ln 2} \displaystyle \int 2^x \ln 2 \, \text{d}x

What do you notice about the integrand now? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest