The Student Room Group

A level choices...

Hello I have chosen my A levels for next year already, but I'm beginning to have doubts about some of my choices. I want to do English Language and Psychology for definite. I also chose Biology and Sociology, but I'm not sure whether or not I should switch them to do other subjects...

I feel that I didn't do well in the GCSE exams for Biology or Sociology and was considering maybe taking English Literature, Maths or Geography instead.

Which two other subjects out of English Lit, Maths or Geography would go best with English Language and Psychology? Or should I keep with my original choices?

If it helps, I want to become a speech therapist or a social worker.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amyyalice
Hello I have chosen my A levels for next year already, but I'm beginning to have doubts about some of my choices. I want to do English Language and Psychology for definite. I also chose Biology and Sociology, but I'm not sure whether or not I should switch them to do other subjects...

I feel that I didn't do well in the GCSE exams for Biology or Sociology and was considering maybe taking English Literature, Maths or Geography instead.

Which two other subjects out of English Lit, Maths or Geography would go best with English Language and Psychology? Or should I keep with my original choices?

If this is what you want to do then.
I'd still stay stick with biology and sociology and then drop one when you start A2s.

But going down such as specific path as in I want to become an "x" are you sure? :smile:
Reply 2
English Lit should be one you definitely take, as it better regarded by Unis compared to its language counterpart. As for the other one, I'd recommend maths because it makes you look well-rounded in terms of subjects, as it is more factual, although there is no point in taking it if you feel you won't do well in it. Sociology seems more appropriate than geography, but between those two, pick the one you are more interested in.

If you want to be a social worker then I would say that you're best off sticking with sociology and biology. I'm not sure what the requirements are exactly for social work courses at university but, I would assume you could swap biology for English literature (that's the one I would say fits best).

I do geography a level myself (along with psychology and human biology) and I would say that it's not really relevant to your career but, would be one of those subjects taken for your own enjoyment:smile: That's why I chose it, not relevant to my desired career but, I love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Blueray2
If this is what you want to do then.
I'd still stay stick with biology and sociology and then drop one when you start A2s.

But going down such as specific path as in I want to become an "x" are you sure? :smile:

I would like to do them, and was thinking about dropping sociology at A2, I guess it all depends on my GCSE results.

I'm pretty sure, yes! Thanks for the advice! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by H0PEL3SS
English Lit should be one you definitely take, as it better regarded by Unis compared to its language counterpart. As for the other one, I'd recommend maths because it makes you look well-rounded in terms of subjects, as it is more factual, although there is no point in taking it if you feel you won't do well in it. Sociology seems more appropriate than geography, but between those two, pick the one you are more interested in.

Yes, thats true...

I think I got a high B/low A in maths GCSE. I have only recently begun to enjoy maths though haha! :smile:

I am more interested in Sociology, but I also enjoyed Geography! :/

Thank you for the advice! :smile:
Yes, thats true...

I think I got a high B/low A in maths GCSE. I have only recently begun to enjoy maths though haha! :smile:

Just be careful with maths because the actual calculations are alright but the theory and understanding what you're actually doing is really hard and can be really confusing! I personally find maths quite tricky but I love it so it keeps me going

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Herrington_x
If you want to be a social worker then I would say that you're best off sticking with sociology and biology. I'm not sure what the requirements are exactly for social work courses at university but, I would assume you could swap biology for English literature (that's the one I would say fits best).

I do geography a level myself (along with psychology and human biology) and I would say that it's not really relevant to your career but, would be one of those subjects taken for your own enjoyment:smile: That's why I chose it, not relevant to my desired career but, I love it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I was thinking about doing that as I do enjoy English Literature! I'm just not 100% sure whether to do both English's though...

I also enjoy Geography, but I also don't think it will really help me for my career choices... thank you for the advice! :smile:
Maybe stick with the sociology and pick your last as a subject you enjoy, you can always drop it for A2 afterwards
I would like to do them, and was thinking about dropping sociology at A2, I guess it all depends on my GCSE results.

I'm pretty sure, yes! Thanks for the advice! :smile:

Yes, thats true...

Tbh you don't need maths for that course so don't do it :smile:
If you do geography i'll be here to help :biggrin:
Yes, I was thinking about doing that as I do enjoy English Literature! I'm just not 100% sure whether to do both English's though...

I also enjoy Geography, but I also don't think it will really help me for my career choices... thank you for the advice! :smile:

You could do English combined? Geography is good and you do parts of human geography so that could be relevant to your career choice :smile: I think sociology will really help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Caribbeantwist
Just be careful with maths because the actual calculations are alright but the theory and understanding what you're actually doing is really hard and can be really confusing! I personally find maths quite tricky but I love it so it keeps me going

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thanks for the advice! :smile:

I reckon you should just do English literature. I think it was previously mentioned that its more stronger or recognised than language.. But I'm not 100% sure if that's true!

I do advise you to pick one subject for enjoyment though because a levels are tricky and it's nice to have at least one to go to where it sort of comes naturally to you because it interests you. If you know what I mean!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by SharminaSyeda
Maybe stick with the sociology and pick your last as a subject you enjoy, you can always drop it for A2 afterwards

Thank you, I think I'll probably stick with Sociology, and then choose another subject. Thank you for the advice! :smile:

Tbh you don't need maths for that course so don't do it :smile:
If you do geography i'll be here to help :biggrin:

I don't think I'm going to take geography now, as that isn't really related to the course either. Thank you for offering to help me and for the advice! :smile:

Original post by Caribbeantwist
You could do English combined? Geography is good and you do parts of human geography so that could be relevant to your career choice :smile: I think sociology will really help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The sixth form I'm going to doesn't offer a course in English combined, its either English Language or English Literature. And I'm not sure whether I should take 2 seperate A levels in English... Thank you for the advice! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Herrington_x
I reckon you should just do English literature. I think it was previously mentioned that its more stronger or recognised than language.. But I'm not 100% sure if that's true!

I do advise you to pick one subject for enjoyment though because a levels are tricky and it's nice to have at least one to go to where it sort of comes naturally to you because it interests you. If you know what I mean!

Posted from TSR Mobile

But wouldn't English Language be more suitable to go into speech therapy? I know it is seen as more stronger and recognised, but I thought Language was more related to speech therapy?

Thank you for the advice, I know exactly what you mean haha! :smile:
But wouldn't English Language be more suitable to go into speech therapy? I know it is seen as more stronger and recognised, but I thought Language was more related to speech therapy?

Yeah it probably is :biggrin: You going on the challenge?
Reply 16
Yeah it probably is :biggrin: You going on the challenge?

I'll have to think about it a bit more, and let you know! :colone:
I'll have to think about it a bit more, and let you know! :colone:

:lol: you have to sign up soon, it ends very soon!

I have no idea as I haven't researched social work :') Look on UCAS at what universities ask for and just make sure you have their requirements. I see what you mean though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I'm starting a degree in Speech Therapy this year and have A levels in Psychology, English Language and Maths. Most universities don't have subjects they say are essential but the preferred ones for SLT are Biology, English Language and Psychology, although Sociology would be okay too I suppose. But between language and literature, I think uni's would probably prefer language. I'd say just go with what you think you're going to do best in and enjoy the most. Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest