The Student Room Group

End of year test's yr7/8

If you are in year 7 or 8 you have probably had test all this week/last or next week , end of year test does not come as a surprise to anyone everyone gets them every single ability , but this year tests have become more serious and hard , in my school i was discussing how there not very important because there not G.C.S.E or S.A.T , there just to see how you have developed since the beginning of the year and i totally support , how do you feel abouts these test and whats your view on them !
Reply 1
I've just finished my GCSEs and am moving on to year 12, but I remember the pressures there were to do well in R.A.Ts (regular tests). I would recommend you try your hardest but don't revise for them in your freetime more than you have to - do your homework and you'll be fine. These tests mean nothing and are mostly about getting a sense of personal achievement.
You need to have fun in these earlier years because in years 9, 10 and 11 things really got hard. I don't know if you'll be allowed to take GCSEs early but I was, and you literally have to revise all the time. RATs do prepare you for later exams, and you should try hard in lessons too so as to get prepared for the GCSEs. If you work hard now, you will be benefitted by being ahead in the future.
The only tests that may be important are the ones you are put into sets or streams in, e.g. maths. These could determine what level of study you do next year and so could determine whether you learn harder stuff and do the higher GCSE paper or the foundation paper.
My advice is, don't worry much about these tests, they take up extra time when you could be learning and relaxing during your childhood. Compared to GCSEs, they mean nothing but still try hard in them. They could give you a confidence boost or a wake-up call to try harder. So try, but don't go out of your way to revise. Have fun whilst you can! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by destynstarr
If you are in year 7 or 8 you have probably had test all this week/last or next week , end of year test does not come as a surprise to anyone everyone gets them every single ability , but this year tests have become more serious and hard , in my school i was discussing how there not very important because there not G.C.S.E or S.A.T , there just to see how you have developed since the beginning of the year and i totally support , how do you feel abouts these test and whats your view on them !

I got 32% in my year 9 Greek end of year test I got 96% ums in the GCSE. I personally feel they are useless and purely serve the purpose of providing marks for parents and not helping the student in any way....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always think these tests are more to show the school's progress (and individual teachers) than the progress of the students. I imagine it will help to set students in future years. Although having said that, when I went through a (very brief) rebellious stage in Y8 and failed all of my end of years, although I was threatened with set changes, they never actually occurred. So I don't see the point if they just ignore the results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending