The Student Room Group

how much money will i be able to get in university?

i have searched all about how much money i can get but i am not sure how it will work. if i am taking a health course where i will get paid by the NHS and will get an NHS bursary. will i still get a grant from the university. i have found out that you get £3,354 grant from university if your parents earn under a certain amount which you dont have to pay back but if i take an NHS paid course will i get that grant from university aswell as the £1,00 grant and bursary from the NHS.? and it says that i can also get a loan of £4,375 from the university and a loan of £1,744 from the NHS which i will have to pay back can i get a loan from the both of them or just one? also if i dont want a loan i dont have to take one out do i? please help me out i know i have said alot hope you understand im just very confused
Reply 1
Tou do not get a loan from the university. You can get a loan from your funding body e.g. Student Finance England). You will not get the full loan, however, If you get an NHS bursary. Your loan amount is reduced if you take the NHS bursary.

There will be a site telling you what you are entitled to. I am able to link to it now but will move your thread to Student Financial Support (Educational Debate is for debate about current issues in education.

You do not need to take a loan, but it is still recommended you do. Even if the rate of interest is not as generous as it was ( there used to be no "real" interest) it is still not at a high level. You will be borrowing a small amount and it may be money you need given the fairly high cost of accomodation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jessie96
i have searched all about how much money i can get but i am not sure how it will work. if i am taking a health course where i will get paid by the NHS and will get an NHS bursary. will i still get a grant from the university. i have found out that you get £3,354 grant from university if your parents earn under a certain amount which you dont have to pay back but if i take an NHS paid course will i get that grant from university aswell as the £1,00 grant and bursary from the NHS.? and it says that i can also get a loan of £4,375 from the university and a loan of £1,744 from the NHS which i will have to pay back can i get a loan from the both of them or just one? also if i dont want a loan i dont have to take one out do i? please help me out i know i have said alot hope you understand im just very confused

usually university grants and bursaries are limited to those who pay the university tuition fees. as yours are being paid for its unlikely you'll be eligible but do check on the university finance page.

For loans you apply to the finance body that is applicable to where you are ordinarily resident e.g. SFE for England SFW for Wales. As an NHS student you can only get a reduced rate loan of around £2k and no student finance grant. You don't have to take out the loan if you think you won't need it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending