The Student Room Group

Film and Television Production BA help

Hello. I am foreigner, so it is very, very hard for me to choose between so many universities in the UK. I need your help! What are the best universities to study Film and Television Production and other courses, related to filmmaking, in the UK?
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Reply 2
I have graduated from Swansea Metropolitan's digital film & television course and I have to say I loved it. It's a really great community atmosphere with fantastic staff and the facilities are great. Take a look at http://vimeo.com/smudigitalfilm for some examples of student work and some short pieces on work experience and stuff. If you've got any questions about it, feel free to message me and i'll tell you more.
Original post by pelpijus
Hello. I am foreigner, so it is very, very hard for me to choose between so many universities in the UK. I need your help! What are the best universities to study Film and Television Production and other courses, related to filmmaking, in the UK?

Hi,

I've just graduated from The University for the Creative Arts with a degree in Film Production and I loved it! Based at the Farnham campus the course teaches you how to make both documentary and fiction, work in a group and individually and to shoot on film and digital cameras. There is also a Digital Film and Screen Arts course and a Broadcast media course.

The University has great success stories with UCA graduates going on to win 4 Oscars and 11 BAFTAS!

If you are interested check out the Universities youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/unicreativearts

Please feel free to ask me anymore questions.

Good luck,

Rebecca
Original post by rdaleeverett
Hi,

I've just graduated from The University for the Creative Arts with a degree in Film Production and I loved it! Based at the Farnham campus the course teaches you how to make both documentary and fiction, work in a group and individually and to shoot on film and digital cameras. There is also a Digital Film and Screen Arts course and a Broadcast media course.

The University has great success stories with UCA graduates going on to win 4 Oscars and 11 BAFTAS!

If you are interested check out the Universities youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/unicreativearts

Please feel free to ask me anymore questions.

Good luck,

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca I'm currently just starting my gap year and hope to do Media, Writing and Production or Digital Film and Screen Arts in 2014.
I noticed that I need a portfolio to take with me for the interview, do you have any tips on how to make a portfolio or how to present it?
Is there any equipment that is a must while making my portfolio and do I need a specific theme when making a portfolio :smile:

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:
Original post by Cameraobsessed
Hi Rebecca I'm currently just starting my gap year and hope to do Media, Writing and Production or Digital Film and Screen Arts in 2014.
I noticed that I need a portfolio to take with me for the interview, do you have any tips on how to make a portfolio or how to present it?
Is there any equipment that is a must while making my portfolio and do I need a specific theme when making a portfolio :smile:

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Hi Cameraobsessed,

When I went for an interview for the Film Production course at UCA there were a couple of things I needed to do. Firstly they give you a list of questions to answer. Don't worry they give these to you in advance so you have the chance to write your answers and think about what they might ask. The purpose of the questions are to see how interested in art you are and whether you are interested in other mediums besides just film i.e. they ask you about a good book you have read or a gallery that inspired you.

The second part is the portfolio. For film production we had to provide a DVD to play during the interview. Mine personally was made up of extracts of a number of films that I have worked on. I was interviewed by the head of film and she wasn't too impressed with music videos so I would stick to fiction or documentary unless music video is something that really interests you. I believe you can also show a full short film. If I remember correctly some people brought in examples of their production paper work or posters they had made for films too.

What's nice about the interview at UCA is that they put you with all the other people wanting to do film beforehand so you all get the chance to talk about how your feeling. I felt this helped relax me!

If you have any other questions please ask!

Rebecca
Reply 6
When I went for an interview for the Film Production course at UCA there were a couple of things I needed to do. Firstly they give you a list of questions to answer. Don't worry they give these to you in advance so you have the chance to write your answers and think about what they might ask. The purpose of the questions are to see how interested in art you are and whether you are interested in other mediums besides just film i.e. they ask you about a good book you have read or a gallery that inspired you.

The second part is the portfolio. For film production we had to provide a DVD to play during the interview. Mine personally was made up of extracts of a number of films that I have worked on. I was interviewed by the head of film and she wasn't too impressed with music videos so I would stick to fiction or documentary unless music video is something that really interests you. I believe you can also show a full short film. If I remember correctly some people brought in examples of their production paper work or posters they had made for films too.

What's nice about the interview at UCA is that they put you with all the other people wanting to do film beforehand so you all get the chance to talk about how your feeling. I felt this helped relax me!

If you have any other questions please ask!

Rebecca

Hi
I see from older threads in regards to portfolios for AUB Film production that they needed to include an essay and a film review. Is this still the case, or has it moved on from then? Would scripts/storyboards/production paperwork be more appropriate, or should the essays remain?
Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending