The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

London college of fashion BA fashion photography

Scroll to see replies

I had a variety of work it wasn't just fashion photography to show that i am experimental and versatile. They asked me about some of my work and how i would cope with the academic structure and it was just like a general chat really.! x
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Original post by Hollymaykc10
I had a variety of work it wasn't just fashion photography to show that i am experimental and versatile. They asked me about some of my work and how i would cope with the academic structure and it was just like a general chat really.! x

that's what they basically asked me too, it was more about if I could do the academic side rather than the practical side then we talked about living areas and such
i just received my offer today, how are you going guys? :smile:
Original post by krichard
i just received my offer today, how are you going guys? :smile:

I also received an offer!!! So excited!!! :biggrin:
Original post by FIAAUDREY
I also received an offer!!! So excited!!! :biggrin:

I got an offer to :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by pessimist
Hi, sorry to bring up a relatively inactive thread, but this seems to be the most popular thread that I can find in terms of posts and different posters. So basically, I'm 19 and I've never really known what to do in my life, and leapfrogged from idea to idea without much conviction or strive to actually succeed. But now I've finally found photography and I love it. Before this I was going to do a fashion course and try to go down the fashion design route, so I thought I'd put my two passions together and pursue fashion photography. Now, as things currently stand, I'm still relatively new to photography, but I have a very good grasp of it. The main issue for me right now is that I don't really have anyone that can model for me, which is one reason I posted here. How did you guys get people to model for you? Just by asking friends? I'd do that but I don't really have any female friends to model for me....

Another issue is that, when I did my a levels, none of them were even remotely art based, is this a major issue when trying to do a course like the one offered at LCF? I know I'll have to do a foundation degree most likely, but will I even be able to get into that without any 'arty' a levels?

Finally, this may sound odd, but can you guys send me links to your portfolios? Just to get a rough idea of what kind of level I should be at when applying for fashion photography courses.

Not sure if anyone will read this, but I hope so! Thanks for reading.

Hey,

I am also 19 and have applied for BA Photography in London. With Fashion Photography, you can also shoot male models if you don't have many female friends and pursuing fashion photography doesn't mean you have to have a portfolio filled with only fashion images. You could take up portraiture for example :smile:
What subjects did you take in A levels? For a Photography course, most Universities look at your portfolio not really what subjects you did for A levels, as long as you are getting the required amount of UCAS points.
Erm... hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 106
Hi!
Thanks a lot for your reply, I was beginning to lose hope that anyone would see this haha. Thanks for the tip on shooting male models, I'll definitely think about doing that, first of all I'm going to start by doing some shoots with my sister and then from then I'll ask other family members. After that, I might delve into the world of Model Mayhem, although I've heard mixed reviews of using that site. The subjects I took at A Level were ridiculously unrelated to photography, which may mean i will have to take a foundation year, especially if I want to do a pure fashion photography course (due to the only london-based university being LCF, which is ridiculously competitive to get into). Although, that puts me in an awkward position because after the foundation year I'll be 21, meaning I'll have to apply as a mature student, which I have no idea how it affects funding and applying to university as universities only reserve a short amount of places for mature students?

Thanks again for your reply, where did you apply to do BA Photography? And would you mind sending me a PM to your portfolio?

No problem!

Yeah Model Mayhem is alright. I have used the site before...
Well studying at LCF is competitive and could also be quite a narrow subject to choose... there are other photography courses in UAL you could consider to see which is best for you - Camberwell and LCC, and Middlesex is also in the top 5 in England for Photography. Basically take a look at the other Universities offering Photography courses as well not just LCF.
So are you planning to apply for entry in the autumn term this year? What are your plans so far?
I haven't done any arty a levels either but I did do textiles at GCSE and got a really good grade... would that be alright?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
Yeah I think I'm going to need to go down the model mayhem route soon, I'm in desperate need of models if I'm honest. Regarding universities, I haven't looked too much into the course outlines for anywhere other than LCF as I'm fairly sure I want to do fashion photography, and I'm not too sure how a normal photography BA will set me up for the fashion world, it's definitely something I need to look into and research a bit more. Unfortunately, I have left it too late for entry this September, so I'll have to apply this year for entry September 2016, although that's not necessarily a bad thing as I basically have no portfolio right now. Also as I didn't take any art based a levels I'll most likely have to do a foundation year which as I said leaves me sceptical about my chances of getting into a good uni after that year because I'll be 21 (mature student).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well a broader knowledge of Photography will help you in any area of Photography. Since Fashion Photography is very popular, most universities will have lecturers or tutors who could help with that but I can understand wanting to go to a purely Fashion school :smile:
I don't think your chances to get into a good uni goes down because of your age does it?
Reply 109
Original post by diamondluck
I haven't done any arty a levels either but I did do textiles at GCSE and got a really good grade... would that be alright?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you applying for?
Original post by Oyiye
What are you applying for?

completely unrelated but I'm applying for sociology. i was just wondering COULD i apply to fashion degree without the arty a levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 111
completely unrelated but I'm applying for sociology. i was just wondering COULD i apply to fashion degree without the arty a levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh... well a degree like Fashion design would probably need an art related A-level or art foundation, but something like Photography, they usually focus on the quality of your portfolio more :smile:
Original post by Oyiye
Oh... well a degree like Fashion design would probably need an art related A-level or art foundation, but something like Photography, they usually focus on the quality of your portfolio more :smile:

oh right, thanks for the advice :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113
oh right, thanks for the advice :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

not sure how it helps but no problem :P
Have you just finished your A-levels?
Original post by Oyiye
not sure how it helps but no problem :P
Have you just finished your A-levels?

haha it did.
yeah I've finished but I'm taking a gap year. you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
haha it did.
yeah I've finished but I'm taking a gap year. you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool, what will you do in your Gap Year?
I am just ending mine(gap year) so hopefully off to Uni in sept/Oct :smile:
Original post by Oyiye
Oh cool, what will you do in your Gap Year?
I am just ending mine(gap year) so hopefully off to Uni in sept/Oct :smile:

I'm going to redo some exams & work so i have enough for uni. ah cool, what did you do in your gap year & what uni are you hoping to go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117
I'm going to redo some exams & work so i have enough for uni. ah cool, what did you do in your gap year & what uni are you hoping to go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I took some exams this year too and I did some internships, worked as a Photographer and built up my portfolio :smile:
Either Middlesex or Camberwell, what about you?
Original post by Oyiye
Ah, I took some exams this year too and I did some internships, worked as a Photographer and built up my portfolio :smile:
Either Middlesex or Camberwell, what about you?

wow that's really good! how did you get an internship? haha your life is so planned out, mine is such a mess =.= I don't even know exactly what degree to do so i don't know what experience to gain :/ need to think it out.

oh that's nice! :ahee:
I'm not sure about mine yet tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 119
wow that's really good! how did you get an internship? haha your life is so planned out, mine is such a mess =.= I don't even know exactly what degree to do so i don't know what experience to gain :/ need to think it out.

oh that's nice! :ahee:
I'm not sure about mine yet tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just searched on job ad websites... trust me my life isn't planned out at all. It was, but got derailed when I got sick last year and I had to re-figure everything out.

Well what do you like to do ? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending