The Student Room Group

Australian gang-raped in Dubai, then jailed for "sex outside of marriage"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TenOfThem
Nope, but I never suggested that she was ... you are the ones making assertions

You have your own assertions but have not mentioned them

You are still mistaken, it would appear that you are incapable of learning a lesson

What? What is sex?
:albertein:

Original post by Ezekiella
Have you ever heard of innocent till proven guilty?

She was sent to prison, so she was guilty of the offenses by law

Stuff like this makes me happy I live in the West.

Agree
Reply 61
Original post by NewBoneration

What? What is sex?
:albertein:

She was sent to prison, so she was guilty of the offenses by law

Agree

Being raped is not and never should be an "offence," how can you be guilty of something some sick freak(s) decided to do to you?

I assumed you were referring to her being innocent of choosing to take drugs etc.
Another example of how the phrase,

"There are no bad cultures just different ones."

Is a load of poop.
Reply 63
Original post by Mr plumby
As this article shows, wearing western clothes can sort of ruin your life.

Have you ever visited Dubai? I've lived there for a number of years and your assumption is laughable. Ive seen plenty of women wearing western clothes in Dubai and non of them had their lives ruined as a result. The victim in this case was unfortunate and it could have happened to anyone.
Original post by Barksy
Islamic barbarism. AGAIN.

lol what in the world does this have to do with Islam?
Reply 65
Original post by Releasethekraken
"Gali’s Australian attorney explained that, as far as she understands, the crime is only considered rape under the country’s strict Islamic laws if there are “four adult, male Muslim witnesses that can provide evidence that the sex was non-consensual.”" - that was from the article posted by the OP.

The "Australian attorney as far as she understands".

Case closed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ezekiella
Being raped is not and never should be an "offence," how can you be guilty of something some sick freak(s) decided to do to you?

I assumed you were referring to her being innocent of choosing to take drugs etc.

Rape was not the offence but rather premarital sex

nope, you are wrong with another assertion

What is sex?

It is not the same thing as an act of violence that involves penetration
Reply 68
Original post by That Bearded Man
How can DNA prove rape instead of consensual sex?

Coupled with other factors it can. Are you saying DNA are not used to find and convict rapists?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by jibberish
I lived in Dubai for over 20 years and I can say first hand that women are more than treated equally. They are in fact, in a lot of circumstances, given priority over men since they make up a much smaller proportion of the population. The headline I think might be misleading in that her sentence was probably due to a number of reasons. I'm not saying she is lying or that I think rape is alright, but given the fact that all the convicted rapists were given reasonable sentences and deported, there may be more to it than it looks at first. Also we need to note that the Australian Consulate refused to assist her which suggests that she must have been involved in the act a lot more than she is leading us to believe.

Dubai is a very rich place and Australia will have a lot of connections with it. Australia will make money also I imagine. An article like this could really damage things. Not many foreigners are going to go there if worried they're going to get raped and jailed.
Reply 70
Original post by jibberish
. I'm not saying she is lying or that I think rape is alright, but given the fact that all the convicted rapists were given reasonable sentences and deported, there may be more to it than it looks at first. Also we need to note that the Australian Consulate refused to assist her which suggests that she must have been involved in the act a lot more than she is leading us to believe.

Spot on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nope, you are wrong with another assertion

Yes I am
You have no assertions

It is not the same thing as an act of violence that involves penetration

In that case both involve sex :dunce:
Reply 72
They have a strict policy of how women should cover themselves up
They may have respected her more

May be the law felt that she could have taken more steps to prevent this occur

Reminds me of the western journalist in Egypt who was strip naked as she was too exposed

In Dubai? No they don't...
Yes I am
You have no assertions

At last

In that case both involve sex

I will go back to ignorance, I guess you do not have the experience to know the difference
Reply 74
Those good old muslims never cease to amaze me at their idiocy
"....the crime is only considered rape under the country’s strict Islamic laws if there are “four adult, male Muslim witnesses that can provide evidence that the sex was non-consensual. So do you bring along four male chaperons when you go out in the event of rape?
Reply 76
Original post by nothepreacher
"....the crime is only considered rape under the country’s strict Islamic laws if there are “four adult, male Muslim witnesses that can provide evidence that the sex was non-consensual. So do you bring along four male chaperons when you go out in the event of rape?

Basically means that men can do whatever they want to their women. Like I said in my OP, men can surely rape their wives?
Reply 77
Original post by Michaelj
Dubai is a very rich place and Australia will have a lot of connections with it. Australia will make money also I imagine. An article like this could really damage things. Not many foreigners are going to go there if worried they're going to get raped and jailed.

A lot of the foreigners especially those from the West work on short term contracts and their visas are issued on an annual basis. These foreigners have already read and continue to read a lot of propaganda that places Dubai as a backward country which I believe to be untrue. Of course you can't do a lot of the things you can do here like drink in public but you can't do that in US either. The people who come to Dubai accept that they can't do certain things that they could back home but they realise its only short term and they get huge benefits. On the whole I think Dubai is portrayed very wrongly in the media here in the west. Anyway your assumption that stories like this will stop people from moving to Dubai does not make sense. People will go even if that means they can't drink in public or have sex in public. Anyway I fail to understand why is that a bad thing anyway? :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
At last

I will go back to ignorance, I guess you do not have the experience to know the difference

what is it like?
Ten
Of
Them
Reply 79
Original post by nothepreacher

The men who raped her were prosecuted, jailed and then deported.

There is absolutely no evidence this women was jailed for extramarital sex.

With the Australian consulate refusing to help her and the authorities jailing and deporting the rapists, doesn't all this point against the words of this women?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending