The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Freshers or no Freshers?

Hey all,

I'm not really into all that clubbing or foam parties or school uniform things, but I get why people are, so no judgement there! But I was just wondering if there are people who aren't planning on doing the intense 28 day clubbing thing? Don't get me wrong, love a drink, a good bar and some good music to dance to, just not pop or sweaty clubs! Are there any pub crawls or bar nights for students instead?

Or could we just make a group for one or something?

Hopefully there are like minded people out there, if not I'll probably end up going to a few of the club nights to see what they're like.
Reply 1
Do you mean at the student union or in Liverpool generally? The student union is limited to students. There will be clubs/societies you can join at the Freshers fair which might be for pub crawls or whatever it is you are interested in. There are also other themed nights you can join like "carnage" which is basically a pub crawl, I think you have to pay for it, but you wear a vest of some kind and go around as a group. I think you get a free drink in every bar you go to and generally just get destroyed (I've never actually done it myself but that's what I gather happens). When I was a Fresher, many moons ago, the best student night I recall was a Monday night, affectionately known as "reflex night", cheap drinks, no admission fees on the doors, town relatively quiet but for students. As you see more of Liverpool you'll find your niche I'm sure.
Liverpool
Reply 2
There are bound to be a load of different events on for students of all different interests. Personally, I'm not too fussed on the clubbing and boozing, but again, some are. The Welcome Ball sounds interesting if you can buy tickets separate then I would go to that. My offer is unconditional as it is transfer and I'm staying at home because I only live a short bus ride away from the campus, but I am sure like minded people will be doing things and with the variety of people in the halls, if you are in halls, will be into the different things.
I'm also not planning on doing the clubbing thing, it's just really not my thing. I'd be happy going to a few pubs though :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go pub and bar hunting every now and then and just see what sticks. I'm staying in Cambridge Court and there's a few pubs and bars near there which I'll give a go. Tempted to make a Pub Student page or something, but I don't know if it would catch on or if it's already been done!
Reply 5
I'm not into the clubbing too, glad I'm not the only one:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Seem to have a very odd notion of what Freshers' Week actually is.

The only real difference between Freshers' Week and the rest of the year is a quantum of organisation and a rubber stamp excuse that you're not "really" missing any academia.
Reply 7
Oh I know, I just meant Fresher's in terms of the nightlife side of it. :smile:
Reply 8
I'd take a pub or a bar over a club anyday! Defo up for any pub crawls that are happening!
Reply 9
Yay! Maybe they'll be some events or more things about it when we move in. Cause it can't be the first time people feel like that.
The fresher wristband is a huge waste of money as the events are pretty lame to be honest. Theres always loads going on around the city centre especially on fresher week, loads of cool quirky venues for students :smile:
Reply 11
Hey, yeah i'm the same really. I am 23 and live in Liverpool so the clubs in freshers week that most people will be at are not really my thing. "ruby sky - foam party" I cant think of two more horrible things haha. I think a good bar crawl would be good :smile: totally up for it, great way to meet other people who want be going to freshers :smile: xx
Reply 12
Original post by SeraMc
Hey, yeah i'm the same really. I am 23 and live in Liverpool so the clubs in freshers week that most people will be at are not really my thing. "ruby sky - foam party" I cant think of two more horrible things haha. I think a good bar crawl would be good :smile: totally up for it, great way to meet other people who want be going to freshers :smile: xx

Awesome! I kinda wanna make a facebook group for it but I dunno how to invite people etc. If you've lived in Liverpool for a while, what kinda alternative bars would you suggest? :smile:
Reply 13
Definitely more interested in pubs than clubs! This idea sounds marvellous. If you did set up one of those pages you could just post a link onto the freshers page and let people look for themselves :smile: might get a few more people interested
I wish we had a schedule already :/ i know people are waiting on results but it'd still be nice to know what's happening that first week!
Reply 14
I think I will, you guys have to join it or else I'll look like a loser! Glad I'm not alone in this!
Reply 15
Hey all, I've made the group, here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/188037904702648/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending