The Student Room Group

Should Turkey be allowed into the EU?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Can people here not see the bigger picture? By allowing them to join the EU, they will align more with the west, become more democratic (due to political pressure) and their economy will improve even more... Also, just excluding them for being Muslim is just simply stupid...
Reply 21
I am Turkish

Personally, waiting in the door step of the EU like a dog really doesn't match my taste. If it were not for economic consequences I would be a very vocal advocate of leaving the process, however Turkey is not yet in such an economic position.

However, when we do get to that point you can kiss the Turkish goodbye. Heck, maybe we will even send you a few thousand buses of immigrants from Syria, Afghanistan and all those places. Acting as the bridge between East and West has its advantages.
Reply 22
At the moment it is a win win situation for the west. By allowing Turkey to go through the political process it increases the western values in Turkish legal system, as well as society. Which I must admit can be desirable, but also not so desirable.It also benefits through this economically as it has trade agreements with Turkey. Turkey also increases the influence of west in Middle East .However by excluding its full integration it prevents a country of about 80 million joining and thus prevents immigration.
I swear the EU is not a heavily Christian union, possibly from the wars it has helped to start and the fact western countries are more advanced than other areas of the world. Have better science and medical care to state that.
Reply 24
To all those hitting from the venue of democracy just recently the Balkan countries came out of ethnic wars where massacres were committed. Heck, bullet holes can still be seen, war criminals are still not trailed. Accepting these countries whilst not accepting Turkey shows the underlying reason is not "lack of democracy".

Heck, in Turkey we have many parties. Some rise, some fall, we don't have a 200 year old, two party state.
Original post by Lightning.
No. Economically it will be bad for us. I guarantee that we will end up giving them bailout money - just like Greece.

Considering the Turkish economy is booming, I doubt it...

Frankly yes, purely because of the Cyprus issue. We let Greece into the EU, when the happenings in Cyprus are just as much about Greece as they are about Turkey, so I find it totally unfair that Greece were allowed access. They should both have been denied access until the issue was resolved. I'm not saying the Turks are in the right, but atrocities were committed on both sides in 1974, but now it's the Greek Cypriots who are reluctant to solve the issue. The North provided the south with power during power-cuts recently. I'm a resident of Turkish Cyprus, and the housing market here is booming. I don't think it would benefit.

And all this nonsense about being a Islamic state. Yes it is Islamic but since when was the EU a Christian organisation. The only reason I can think of is the lack of political stability.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Certainly not until they give back Northen Cyprus and even then its contentious.
Reply 27
Original post by RtGOAT
Certainly not until they give back Northen Cyprus and even then its contentious.

Give back to whom? The greeks who drove the local Turkish population to enclaves and ghettos whilst burying village full of people alive? Tough luck.

Leaving the above aside, a voting was held as a part of the Adnan plan, which was part of a United nations commission. Most of the Turkish side wanted union yet the Greeks refused. So what the hell are you on about?
Reply 28
Turkey is not an Islamic state. Its constitution refers to no religion and specifies that the state has solid laik (secularist) principles and distances itself from any religion.
Original post by RtGOAT

Give it back? The Greeks massacred the Turks, there are still bulletholes in the houses around the village near me. It's a two way deal. The Greeks are just as much to blame. You clearly don't know the facts.
Reply 30
Turkey interfered almost 20 years later after the local Turkish population was first removed from joint political rule and then forced in to enclaves. Turkey has a legal obligation to protect the local population because it was, along with UK a guarantor.
Turkey is much better alone than joining the EU.
Reply 32
There was an attempt to sort the Cyprus issue about 10 years ago which failed. Yes it is an issue regarding accession
Reply 33
In the future perhaps but at the moment there is too fundamental a gulf in culture I think, if Europe overextends it's borders then it runs the risk of losing what little sense of 'Europeanism' currently exists. Personally I also would not want any state within the union to have a non-secular government and Turkey would have to go a long way to meet the human rights standards required for membership - border security is another issue.
Frankly, I think that if an EU member state is doing this

http://www.2ndcouncilhouse.co.uk/blog/2013/06/05/and-then-they-came-for-the-trans-people/

then why the hell not? What Greece is doing is vile and the EU is doing NOTHING about it.
Reply 35
Turkey dont need EU thats clear . Turkey only needs customs unions and the rules for human rights. Additionally (as a Turkish Cypriot) Turkey and Turkish Cypriots did what was needed in April 2004 by saying %75 Yes to peace ( when disadvantaged) and Greek cypriots said No by %65 . So greeks didnt want the occupation to end and they become EU member without Northern part of the island . This is againist EU interiror rules. So both EU and Greek cypriots are guilty in this situation and only Turkish Cypriots endure the results of this talks between EU Turkey and Cyprus Republic !
I'm in two minds about Turkey joining the EU.

On one hand, the countries of Europe have ageing populations and the younger average of age of people in Turkey would help solve that problem, and also Turkey's membership would show that the EU is not a 'Christian club', so to speak, but a club that any European democracy can aspire to become part of. On the other hand though, the majority of the land in Turkey is in Asia minor and not Europe, and I would worry that the accession of such a large Muslim majority country might strengthen various far right groups around the continent.
Every country that joins makes Britains tiny amount of influence within the institution smaller or smaller and it's unfair that us and the Germans don't have more power than the rest of the union when we spend so much.
Reply 38
Original post by wildrover
Every country that joins makes Britains tiny amount of influence within the institution smaller or smaller and it's unfair that us and the Germans don't have more power than the rest of the union when we spend so much.

The UK is generally seen as the third or so most influential country in the EU. Our problem is that we refuse to engage with the EU and keep dithering around with one leg in and one out. Turkey joining or not will not affect that
Reply 39
Firstly, can someone give me a clear definition of 'islamist' or has it just been warped to mean an extreme muslim...prime example of language change there.
Secondly, so what if Turkey is a Islamic state, I didn't know joining the EU came with terms and conditions with one of them being 'you must be a christian country'? Bosnia could also be in the EU one day and it too is a majority 'muslim' state just about, would anyone have opposition to that? Turkey isn't even an 'Islamic state', constitutionally it is secular, it's just that the people there happen to be majority Muslim. In fact I'm sure they banned the wearing of the headscarf in universities etc!!!
Thirdly I don't understand why anyone would want to join the EU anyway at this moment in time.
To answer the question in my opinion they don't have to join the EU simply because in my opinion they could flourish a lot more on their own if they sorted out their internal political problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending