The Student Room Group

Enhanced CRB & Cautions

Hi,

I'm considering applying for a MPharm Pharmacy course as a mature student. I'm currently 26 years old, it's taken me some time to decide what I would like to do with my life but I've decided I'd like to follow in my Grandfather's footsteps as a Pharmacist.

I noticed that all offers are subject to an enhanced CRB check which would take place after starting the course, meaning I could later be kicked off of the course for a spent but 'relevant' police caution.

I fell in with the wrong crowd (people who lived close by) as a teenager and dropped out of sixth form college, I started drinking irresponsibly and using drugs and was issued police cautions for possession of cocaine and being 'drunk and disorderly' when I was 18 or 19 years old.

I've since disassociated myself from those friends, relocated and become a responsible adult. Will these 7/8 year old police cautions prevent me from accessing the degree, or worse prevent me from registering after completing the degree?

It's an injustice if cautions for possession given to troubled teenagers are in fact life long sentences that prevent them from moving on with their lives :frown:
The caution for possession is likely to be more of a problem, especially for a pharmacist, but as it is 8 years on, the circumstances could be different and the course could be relaxed on it
Reply 2
Dear Toolate ,

following changes to the law this May , cautions more than 6 years old will be filtered off under amendments to the rehabilitation of offenders act so that you do not need to disclose them on job applications (unless high security e.g. police, MI5 etc), and they will not come up, even on enhanced CRB checks

However, certain serious crimes are excluded so that a caution for supplying drugs would be on until you were you could show specific circumstances to remove it.

However, possession is not on the list of serious offences published by the disclosure and barring service. It is almost certain therefore that you will be in the clear on this, but,please be aware that the DBShas been given by the government a secret list of 4000 offences which are not on the public list, but which could mean that it is on the secret list of crimes, that it can still remain on. There is confusion caused by adverse and a lot of pressure on the government's the published list which hopefully will be done in a few months time. In the meanwhile if you wish to be absolutely certain. You should email the D BS enquiry line for them to confirm that your matters are not on any secret list.

Regards

David Wacks
Reply 3
Thankyou David, that's great to hear. I'll send an email to DBS customer services to check.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending