Gov + Pol (As)
Maths (As)
Eng Lit (As/A2)
Chemistry (A2)
Biology (A2)
History (A2)
French (A2)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just how? Thats amazing, how was your AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not started it :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its quite hard to balance those subjects. However, if you are capable of putting in the hard work then I suggest you should do it.
I'd advise against taking geography too, i did the sciences and I really didn't have time to do a lot of things I used to. Especially once A2 started. Your 4 subjects are strong enough and unless you want to go into something geography related it's probably not worth it. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wanted to do 5 AS but kept to 4 and then in my second year I picked up the 5th AS alongside 3 A2s.
I agree that you need to be confident you will do well as others have said and that it will be a lot of work. However I'm doing 3 subjects this year whilst working 37.5hrs a week and I still find I have plenty of free time as long as I don't spend all my evenings procrastinating! If you do want to take 5 then be organised, if you decide to do 4 then I personally would drop physics. It would be nice to do a 4th subject that you enjoy.
No one has yet mentioned that if you are even considering medicine you need not only good grades but voluntary work (long term volunteering is seen as showing more commitment) and work experience. Far better to spend time on that and find out if medicine is really for you than do a 5th A level. The only good reason to do 5 AS is if you haven't decided what you want to do and need the 5th to keep your options open. Doing 5 at A2 is unnecessary.

Medical schools demand work experience because it's a long and demanding course and not one to enter lightly. You'll be studying for the rest of your life, the hours will be long, the pay not great compared to other jobs for graduates with excellent academic results and good people skills. It's intensely competitive with 60% of applicants getting no offers first time round. It continues to be competitive with most people becoming gps when some of them hoped to be surgeons. It's not that unusual to fail one or more medical school exams and need to resit at least the exam and sometimes the year. It's not a family friendly career if you want to be in hospital medicine.
Original post by passionate27
I want to do:
Physics, Biology, Maths and Chemistry

With also Geography because I really enjoy it but im not sure whether that will be the same at A-levels.

Please help, I can choose if I want to geography or not on the enrolment day.

Thanks in advance:tsr:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could always take 5 and see how you get on.Then if its too much doing 5 subjects or you dont like geography after all, then you could always drop geography after the first couple of weeks or at xmas or whenever.
If you dont do it you might think- what if?
Reply 71
Original post by Emma:-)
You could always take 5 and see how you get on.Then if its too much doing 5 subjects or you dont like geography after all, then you could always drop geography after the first couple of weeks or at xmas or whenever.
If you dont do it you might think- what if?

Exactly, its like a build up of fear if I don't try idk :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly, its like a build up of fear if I don't try idk :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I kind of understand where people are coming from about doing more subjects and getting worse subjects overall, but if you do realise its too much and drop geography early on, then it will be fine- and you can still get great grades.
Reply 73
Original post by Emma:-)
I kind of understand where people are coming from about doing more subjects and getting worse subjects overall, but if you do realise its too much and drop geography early on, then it will be fine- and you can still get great grades.

You think so? I would want to give it a go :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you did do five (even though you have said you aren't now) I think the time where you will struggle be around exams due to the high number of them and you would have to start revision a fair bit eariler than everyone else but it is possible (I hope)

I suppose you could say I will be doing 5 in my year 13 year as I will be doing Chemistry A2, Biology A2, Physics A2 and Maths AS+A2 (maths self taught) :smile: god its gonna be a hell of a lot of work! I'll have C3, C4, unit 5 of chemistry, biology and physics in 1 week 1 day after the other :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by madmadmax321
If you did do five (even though you have said you aren't now) I think the time where you will struggle be around exams due to the high number of them and you would have to start revision a fair bit eariler than everyone else but it is possible (I hope)

I suppose you could say I will be doing 5 in my year 13 year as I will be doing Chemistry A2, Biology A2, Physics A2 and Maths AS+A2 (maths self taught) :smile: god its gonna be a hell of a lot of work! I'll have C3, C4, unit 5 of chemistry, biology and physics in 1 week 1 day after the other :tongue:

Wow, good luck with that! :smile:
Thanks for the help! Idk if I'll be able to do but I guess I can try :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In my opinion, it depends on you really. I've done 4 AS subjects, and I personally think that if I had done a 5th AS subject then I would have struggled a little. One main thing you have to keep in mind is the amount of time you think you can contribute to your A Levels. For example, there was a girl in my Maths class who picked up 5 AS subjects, hoping to do very good in all of them. However, she inevitably was put under a lot of pressure due to her doing 5 subjects, primarily because she didn't have enough time at home to do the amount of revision required. As a consequence, she failed to hand in her homeworks multiple times and also didn't do very well in her January exams, and was ultimately forced by our Maths teacher to drop one AS subject. On the contrary, if you believe that you can spend sufficient time for revision then by all means go ahead and do 5 AS subjects.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by 123456789012
In my opinion, it depends on you really. I've done 4 AS subjects, and I personally think that if I had done a 5th AS subject then I would have struggled a little. One main thing you have to keep in mind is the amount of time you think you can contribute to your A Levels. For example, there was a girl in my Maths class who picked up 5 AS subjects, hoping to do very good in all of them. However, she inevitably was put under a lot of pressure due to her doing 5 subjects, primarily because she didn't have enough time at home to do the amount of revision required. As a consequence, she failed to hand in her homeworks multiple times and also didn't do very well in her January exams, and was ultimately forced by our Maths teacher to drop one AS subject. On the contrary, if you believe that you can spend sufficient time for revision then by all means go ahead and do 5 AS subjects.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Thanks for the help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. :biggrin:
Reply 79
Original post by 123456789012
No problem. :biggrin:

Still pretty lost :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile