The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

can any1 get hold of the paper?? n then we can post sum answers....
um guys?
It kinda said that K>1.

So I found 0.5 my self in the beginning and tried to work out a number greater than 1.
I guess then 1.5 is the answer
Reply 222
gayyyyy

For the temperature last bit your supposed to say:
As t tends to infinity "t --> [infinity]", e^-0.05t tends to 0 ("e^-0.05t --> 0), therefore, T --> 400(0) + 25 = 25.

T will never reach 20
Reply 223
i got 1/2k too
Rabite
I think that's right.

They were talking about the third? Second? part though, where you have to find fg(0.25k) or something.

fg(x)= ln ( [2x+k] + k)
fg(k/4)= ln (3k/2)
That's what i got at least, hope it helps
Reply 225
definitely harder than the other two..... i got the iteration wrong, kept putting it into y= and wondering why it was wrong, of course i've now realised it was dy/dx...

there was a lot of stuff in there that wasn't immediately obvious and required some amount of thought...

did others get -3root7/8 at one point and 135 degrees as the only answer at another?
k u know 4 question 5, when we had to find out x1 x2..etc, did we have to put it in radians, i think ma cal was in deg. do u rekon i'd get any marks?
Reply 227
PS. argh ****. "instead of turning point" i wrote "root". penis weed.
oh poooo, I did the same!
I thought the paper was harder than the last 2, and different from all the solomon papers - there seemed to be a lot of emphasis on graph sketching. So annoying with the sin2A, I was sitting there thinking that I could have done that 2 years ago, but the whole obtuse angle thing stumped me.. I managed a couple of lines of working though and got something bizzarre like -root (63/64) as the answer - but just got that thru putting it all in the claculator....wonder if theyll give me any marks, cos it is right!.... shame I havent learnt C4 yet !!

xxx
i found this paper MUCH harder than the two past ones. C4 has to be good
was the rate question -1.64

i left it as -1.64 and didnt write it decreases at a rate of 1.64 per minute

will i lose a mark? i believe i may have lost a comfortable 15 marks on the paper.
sebbie
definitely harder than the other two..... i got the iteration wrong, kept putting it into y= and wondering why it was wrong, of course i've now realised it was dy/dx...

there was a lot of stuff in there that wasn't immediately obvious and required some amount of thought...

did others get -3root7/8 at one point and 135 degrees as the only answer at another?

I agree with the 135 degree angle question, however I got (+3root7)/8, as sin was also positive in the domain given with the cos value. Therefore 2sin@cos@ is also positive
i found this paper MUCH harder than the two past ones. C4 has to be good
was the rate question -1.64

i left it as -1.64 and didnt write it decreases at a rate of 1.64 per minute

will i lose a mark? i believe i may have lost a comfortable 15 marks on the paper.

So long as you indicated the temperature decreased at this rate, the question asked you to give the answer in terms of degrees C/min, so unless you did that and put -1.64 degrees C/min I'm guessing you'd lose probably just one mark for incorrect sign
Reply 231
reakon i lost a good 25 marks :mad: :mad: , really wasnt a great paper. First 4 questions were ok, then managed to do bits of the rest, just fell to piecestowards the end :confused:
Let's just hope the boundaries are lowering lol.
That's our only hope. Well my only hope :biggrin:
Reply 233
Warren_Sullivan
I agree with the 135 degree angle question, however I got (+3root7)/8, as sin was also positive in the domain given with the cos value. Therefore 2sin@cos@ is also positive

A was between 270 and 360

therefore 2A between 540 and 720

sin is negative in that range....
Reply 234
Warren_Sullivan

however sin was not positive becuase it was the 4th quadrant.
franks
oh poooo, I did the same!

Yeah I did that too, argh. But hopefully it won't matter since it's f'(x) - the gradient that's changing sign - so it would be a root since the gradient is 0 at the turning point...well hopefully anyway.
for the 1.64 aswer, i wrote
(-) cm gap then 1.64

will they still knock of a mark for it?
r3m0t
Duh, if T >= 25, then T >= 20. THey probably did it because they thought that in other papers, people looked at the answer and worked backwards.
I interpreted the question wrong. It said why cant T reach 20, I was like "hmm thats obv you cant evaluate ln(negative)" but then I thought WHY didnt they say why cant T<25. I thought it was trying to catch me out. Luckily I just put T=20, you got ln(negative) showed you cant evaluate ln(negative) and just left it at that.
cos @= 3/4
therefore, by drawing a right angled triangle...
sin @= (root7)/4 (also positive)
sin2@= 2sin@cos@= 2.(root7).1/4.3.1/4= (3root7)/8
?
Reply 239
That was a joke, it was soooooo hard. My trig isnt up ot scratch and the only part of that I know is when u have the R involved. That didnt come up! GRRRR. I will be happy with a D lol. ( ps was hoping for C or B)

Latest