The Student Room Group

A-level advice

Hey people :smile:. I have just finished my GCSEs and am now moving on to sixth form. As I have heard that A-levels and the sixth form are hard years, I just thought I would ask you guys for some advice on how to get high grades (as I fear I didn't try hard enough for GCSEs and want to make a better start to A-levels). Obviously study :P, but details on how to do it, hours, any little tips etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1
Hi, well I've just finished my first year of sixth form (just awaiting results day now arghh). The transition between GCSE and A level is indeed a steep one for some, however I would suggest these tips:
If you have any free periods, make the most of them by doing extra reading around your subject, even when you aren't told to. For example if you are doing history or psychology, read around a theory, concept, do independant research and make your own little portfolio of independant work.
-what worked for me was a summary at the end of each day, where I would go over each of my subjects and briefly summarise what I was supposed to take in over the lesson. (If you keep all this summary, perhaps on revision cards, it means less hard revision towards the exam)
- ive already said this but READ READ READ around your subject, I cannot stress this enough and it's something i did not do enough of admittedly.
-Start your revision early
-Start getting past papers/previous answers early!!!! build up a file
-make sure you are well organised e.g. file for each subject etc depending on what subjects you are doing, make sure you have plenty of highlighters!

Don't waste time, stay focused, use all the help around you, take breaks and generally good luck!!!
If you would like anymore revision tips etc just drop me a message whenever and i will try and help as much as i can!
Good Luck!
Do not think you are good at a subject just because you got an a or a* at gcse.
Reply 3
just don't piss around in class too much, and concentrate! And revise properly for every end of topic test you get so you don't end up revising everything from scratch at the end of the year before exams
Reply 4
Dont waste 90% of your frees, they are actually quite useful especially with the school environment !

Theres are tonnes of resources out there relating to a level topics. If you dont understand the teacher, go search it up and keep going at it until you understand it. Unlike in GCSE where the class would whine until the teacher reluctantly gives in, you got to be responsible for your learning

Make essay examplers/essay plans as you go. It saves time when you prep for revision.

I personally dont think you need to read around ALL subjects, but for content exams like history and english, this is fairly important. Sciences can also be helpful.
Reply 5
Thanks guys, all of this was helpful :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by samuelsupress
Do not think you are good at a subject just because you got an a or a* at gcse.

This is so unbelievably true, although it's good to have confidence going into the start of an AS-level and an A or A* at GCSE definitely gives you that. I think for advice, it's a lot easier to say it than actually do it; I'd like to say I did my best at preparing for exams but that would be a complete lie. I'm one of those people who leave it till the last few weeks before and the reality check is what motivates me but I've learnt that you really can't do that for AS (haven't started A2 yet but I'm guessing it's much of the same!), you also can't wing it... unless you're just one of life's very lucky people!

My main bit of advice would just be to be realistic with what you do. If you have free periods, sometimes you do actually need/deserve a break, but just don't get into the habit of wasting all of them because they can be super beneficial if you use them properly. Sadly, as nice as it is to spend time with your friends in these, unless you can work with them then you'll end up wasting the time doing very little productive work. Most of all though, just have fun, you get more freedom than you do at school so just embrace it and if you feel yourself getting swamped with everything, ask someone for help. Enjoy! :smile:
Reply 7
I have just finished lower sixth and when i was starting it, i made a post similar to this. I felt that some of the stuff i was told to do was over dramatic and in some cases it was, so here is an honest answer.

Depending on your ability, the first month shouldn't be too bad, teachers will teach the easy topics first to ease you in.

You don't need to read around all of your subjects, it depends on the subject, for things like languages and english, i would recommend that you do go the extra bit future to help yourself but for subjects like geography, you should be fine if you pay attention.

Do your homework, it helps you get a better grasp of the topics even though some questions might be repetitive- that will help you remember it!

Make neat notes, you will need them when it comes to revising, it saves a lot of time if your notes are easy to read and understand come exam time as you don't need to re-write them.

If you are doing a coursework subject, STAY ON TOP OF IT!

There is no way you are going to spend all of your frees being productive! However, if you have a lot of work or an upcoming exam, use your common sense and do some work!

After doing your first exam, you might be disheartened, but use that to help you drive yourself.

Pay attention and respect your teachers. It makes life so much easier.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Okay thanks :smile: This may sound stupid but what actually is "reading around your subject".
Original post by ECDawson
I'm one of those people who leave it till the last few weeks before and the reality check is what motivates me but I've learnt that you really can't do that for AS (haven't started A2 yet but I'm guessing it's much of the same!), you also can't wing it... unless you're just one of life's very lucky people!

Sooooooooooo true! I realised after my AS's that they are not the same as GCSE's! :') Left myself with alot of work to do for the A2's to bring my bad grades up to decent ones.. I will find out on the 15th if I managed it! Good luck for your A2's, work your bum off! :colondollar:
Reply 10
Original post by redstripes
Okay thanks :smile: This may sound stupid but what actually is "reading around your subject".

Lets say your studying history.

If you were learning about the Vietnam war lets say in gcse, you would just sit in the lesson, listen and learn the content and be gone with revision and the exam from those cheesy CGP books.

In a level, it is usually presumed people who read around the subject tend to be able to get more marks. Reading around in this context would mean the student goes to the library/Internet and do further research/reading into the topic. This usually helps the student either understanding the topic or gathering extra details which may have been omitted by the teacher, to develop their answer.
E.g the student may read about consequences of xxx battle, which is a good evaluative point in an essay

Likewise it can mean not just sticking to the syllabus. So the student will read other history topics, just to gather knowledge and or further interests/skills.

Generally from what I've seen, most students read around the subject which they want to do at university.
E.g for an English lit Student, they may read texts apart from Shakespeare like Jane Austin which isn't on the syllabus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dont waste all of your frees- doing things such as going into town, playing games on the computer etc etc (people at my 6th form did this- me included).
Yeah sure, have a break, but use your frees wisely, doing homework, revision, extra work etc etc.
choose subjects which you enjoy, you will need lots of motivation to do lots of work, also keep organised from the start :smile:
Reply 13
Hey there! Fingers crossed for your GCSE results, I'm sure you'll do great!! I've just finished my A Levels and will (hopefully) be off to uni next month. In terms of tips, try different revision methods out! If stuff isn't sinking in one way, don't accept it as the only way to get stuff done! I found the amount of information we had for history overwhelming at first, but I took to doing little mind maps on key issues so that I knew vaguely where I was going! Also when you're studying, give yourself a set time and remove any distractions. Phone, music etc trust me it helps! Don't study over that allotted time, have a break before you get back to it! Most of all, I was surprised by the step up between GCSE's and A Levels, in the first couple of weeks it's immense, but don't get disheartened! Once you settle into it, it's nowhere near as bad as it first looks!!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by welshboi
Hey there! Fingers crossed for your GCSE results, I'm sure you'll do great!! I've just finished my A Levels and will (hopefully) be off to uni next month.
Thank you! I hope that you managed to get the grades you needed! I managed to get 9a*s and an a :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest