The Student Room Group

Huge Mistake (English Lang)

In my English language test, I accidentally wrote part of question 6 in the space allocated to question 5.
Does the same person mark the whole paper, or different people per question?
Original post by Joseph_S
In my English language test, I accidentally wrote part of question 6 in the space allocated to question 5.
Does the same person mark the whole paper, or different people per question?

Section A and B of the exam are marked by different people. Luckily for you, both question 5 and 6 are part of Section B, so will be marked by the same examiner. Whether the examiner chooses to mark the part you wrote in the space allocated for question 5 is a different question altogether though. However, my guess is that if it's clear what you've done the examiner may be generous and mark it, however they wouldn't be obliged to do so.
As long as you wrote a note or used an asterisk I'm sure that the examiner would understand the mistake and mark it as usual :smile:
Usually one examiner marks one question or a part of it but since it is English I think they mark by sections.

If you haven't shown any kind of indication then some of your hope is lost
.but the examiner marking may realise you have answered a different question here and they will send your paper up the ladder to the team leader who gets to see your entire paper (other examiners gets to see clips or parts).
Reply 4
Great news, yeah, fortunately, I told the examiner lady, and she allowed me to mark it that way after the test.

I worried so much that I told my Head Teacher, he said he'll put money aside to get my paper back if I don't get the A* and to remark if necessary. Is it one person that remarks a whole paper?
Great news, yeah, fortunately, I told the examiner lady, and she allowed me to mark it that way after the test.

I worried so much that I told my Head Teacher, he said he'll put money aside to get my paper back if I don't get the A* and to remark if necessary. Is it one person that remarks a whole paper?

Yes!
The chief one marks it all.
Reply 6
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Yes!
The chief one marks it all.

I'm sure they can't mark all of them, they would be a lot!
I'm sure they can't mark all of them, they would be a lot!

1 marks them all.!!
Wait!
I'll post to show how the exams are marked.
Reply 8
Thanks, will do.
Marking examinations:colone:dexcel on-line marking (ePEN) It is important to understand how examinations are marked,because it affects how you must present your answers.As the examiner reads your answer,decisions have to be made is this answer worth the mark? Those who think that these decisions are always easy ‘because science is right or wrong’have misunderstood the nature of marking and the nature of science. Your job is to give the clearest possible answerto the question asked,in such a way that your chemical understanding is made obvious to the examiner.In particular,you must not expect the examiner to guess what is in your head;you can be judged only by what you write. Not all marking is the same The marking of homework or other school work is not the sameas the marking of examinations. Teachers marking their students’work are engaging in formative assessment and their comments are geared towards helping students to improve their understanding of chemistry.
It will include suggestions for improving understanding,which are far more important than the mark awarded,as is any discussion resulting from the work.An examination is a summative assessment;candidates have no opportunity to improve,so the mark is everything.This is why questions that are designed to improve your understanding of chemistry during the course are not of the same style as questions used to test that understanding at the end of a course. You should not regard examination questions and answers as chemical education;they are an attempt to test whether you have acquired that education through the influence of your teachers and your own reading.Chemical education is designed to make you into a competent chemist rather than one who can simply regurgitate ‘model answers’with no underlying understanding.If you do the necessary work throughout the course,the examination content should look after itself.What you need is the right answering technique. Because examination answers cannot be discussed,you must make your answers as clear as possible.Do not expect examiners to guess what is in your head.This is one reason why you are expected to show working in calculations,for example.It is especially important to think before you write.You are given a reasonable amount of space in which to write your answer.However, differing handwriting size,false starts and crossings-out,and a tendency to repeat the question mean that this space is never exactly right for all candidates.The best advice is that before you begin your answer you must have a clear idea ofhow itwill end.There is neither time nor space for subsequent editing.It is a good plan to practise putting your answer into a list of the points you wish to make,and then join them up into coherent sentences.You can also leave them as a list and still earn marks for good quality of written communication. Read the paper through Now that examinations are answered on the question paper and offer no choice of questions, the instruction to ‘read the paper through in its entirety before starting to write’seems to have declined in importance.Candidates are,unsurprisingly,eager to get on and write something,but you should be patient. Reading the paper through gives an opportunity for the brain to do some subconscious processing while the conscious mind is busy directing the writing.You need to have an idea of what is around the corner and what dangers to avoid.This technique becomes more important the more chemistry you know,since the A2 papers increasingly expect you to make links between different areas of the specification and to acquire synoptic understanding.These links can be made by the brain in the background during an exam while you are writing other answers.Do not underestimate the value of reading the whole paper through before you start to write. Online marking:how to avoid common pitfalls Do notwrite in any colour other than black.This is now an exam board regulation. Do notwrite outside the space provided without saying,in that space,where the remainder of the answer can be found. Edexcel scripts are marked online,so few examiners handle the original paper script

.The process is as follows: The exam paper is divided into items,usually a single part of a question.These items are also called clips. The items are set up so that they display on screen,with check-boxes for the score and various buttons to allow the score to be submitted or for the item to be processed in some other way. Your written paper is scanned;from that point your paper is only handled electronically.Your answers are tagged with an identity number and each item becomes part of a pool. It is impossible for examiners to identify a centre or a candidate from any of the information supplied. Examiners mark items over about 3 weeks
They are instructed on how to apply the marking scheme and are tested to make sure that they know what is required and can mark the paper fairly. Examiners are monitored throughout the marking period.They are prevented from marking an item if they do not achieve the necessary standard of accuracy;defective marking is re-marked. <b>Examiners mark items,not whole scripts.Depending on the length of an item,between 20 and 50 examples are marked and then the examiner moves on to another item.This style of marking means that your paper could be marked by as many as 20 different people. Items are allocated to examiners randomly,so generally they do not see more than one item from a given candidate. It is important to avoid the following potential pitfalls: Do notwrite in any colour other than black or blue.The scans are black-and-white,so any colour used simply comes out black unless you write in red,which does not come out at all.The scanner cannot see red (or pink or orange) writing.If,for example,you want to highlight different areas under a graph,or distinguish lines on a graph,you must use a different sort of shading rather than a different colour. Do notwrite too small.Because the answer appears on a screen,the definition is slightly degraded.In particular,very small numbers used for powers of 10 can be difficult to see. Theoriginal paper script can be checked but it takes a long time to get hold of it. Do notwrite in pencil.Faint writing does not scan well. Do notwrite outside the space provided without saying,within that space,where the remainder of the answer can be found.Examiners only have access to the items they are marking;they cannot see the rest of your script.So if you carry on your answer elsewhere but do not tell the examiner within the clip that he can see that it exists,it will notbe marked. Although the examiner cannot mark the out-of-clip work,the paper will be referred to the Principal Examiner for marking. Donotuse asterisks or arrows as a means of directing examiners to out-of-clip items. Explainin words.Examiners cannot be expected to guess what the asterisks mean. Do notwrite across the centre fold of the paper from the left-hand to the right-hand page. Astrip about 8mm wide is lost when the papers are guillotined for scanning. Do not repeat the question in your answer.For example,the answer to the question ‘Define the first ionisation energy of calcium’is ‘The energy change per mole for the formation of unipositive ions from isolated calcium atoms in the gas phase’or,using an equation,‘The energy change per mole for Ca(g) →Ca+(g) +e−‘.Do notstart by writing ‘The first ionisation energy for calcium is defined as...’because this will take up most of the space available for the answer.Examiners know what the question is you do not need to repeat it. Rod Beavon Rod Beavon is Head of Science at Westminster School,London and Chief Examiner for Edexcel A-Level Chemistry.The questions presented here are a sample of those that will appear in the new Unit Guides for the 2008 Edexcel specification
(edited 10 years ago)
Got the above from a chemistry website
Reply 11
Wow, thanks. I do AQA English.
Reply 12
Thanks guys, I still got the A*!!!

Well done!

Congratulations! Just goes to show that examiners are not overly stringent monsters, they're fairly lenient and want you to do well.

nice one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by misha001
Could you help me aswell please.

So I am pleased with my result overall as I got 4A* ,11As and 1B
But I am seriously confused about English Language.

So basically it says provisional on my Exam sheet.
Apparently the AQA got our CA grade wrong which is now being sorted out.

I did my exam in January and got
UNIT 1: 89 UMS
UNIT 2: 47 UMS
UNIT 3: 110 UMS

which adds upto 246 UMS which would have been an A

Then I did a retake in the exam and unfortunately got lower this time and ended up with 82 UMS.
Which adds up to 239 UMS which is a B, the same on my exam sheet.

Did the AQA count my recent gcse or the higher one?
What should I do now?
I am really confused.
Sorry for making it so long but I seriously need help.

I seriously don't know.:frown:
AQA should have really counted your higher mark, right.
Reply 17
Cheers guys.

Quick Reply

Latest