The Student Room Group

Some general advice

Not sure where to even begin!

I am 26 years old married with 2 kids living in the USA for the past 4 years (my wife is American) We are moving back to the UK in the next 3 to 4 months.

Here is my educational background
2:2 BSc Hons in Geography from Swansea University
2 A levels - B in Geography, C in Computer Science
1 As level - C in Chemistry
12 GCSEs between A and C (I think I had A in French, 10 B's and 1 C)

I would love to back to University and put the hard work and effort into to attain a masters OR an undergraduate degree with a professional career path.

Would it be possible to make it onto a Masters course with my educational background? I would dearly love to go into the medical field such as occupational therapy or physiotherapy but I fear my lack of chem+bio qualifications will be a significant barrier to this. My thing is at 18 I had no idea what I was doing and messed up my last year of Uni. I am now 26 driven by ambition and really want to cement a career for myself and stabilize the family.

Also will my time outside of the UK disqualify me for most financial assistance?
Reply 1
Training for physiotherapy is eligible for funding by NHS bursary and exempt from the ELQ rules. However you may have problems being eligible for an NHS bursary due to you not being resident in the UK or within the EU for immediate 3 years prior to starting a course. So you could play the long game, come back to the UK, try and secure some employment. Seek opportunities to get involved in health care with exposure to physiotheraphy even if it means volunteering. Once you have been back for at least 24 months you can start applying for courses as by the time the course starts you should have meet the residence requirement. It may be worth self funding a course which would make you eligible for physiotherapy via the postgraduate route, it would also meet the requirement for evidence of recent study at level 3 or above.

If you opt to study something that is not exempt from ELQ and is not eligible for NHS funding, your previous study means you will be unlikely to be eligible for further funding at undergraduate level. Even if you waited the 3 years to satisfy the residence requirement. There is little or no funding for post graduate study and you may not qualify as a home student if you don't satisfy the residency requirement. For postgraduate study many self fund from savings or take a career development loan.

When you return to the UK make sure you register on the electoral roll, open a bank account etc as this will all help if you need to prove residency. If you decide to delay your further education goals.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by edjunkie
Training for physiotherapy is eligible for funding by NHS bursary and exempt from the ELQ rules. However you may have problems being eligible for an NHS bursary due to you not being resident in the UK or within the EU for immediate 3 years prior to starting a course. So you could play the long game, come back to the UK, try and secure some employment. Seek opportunities to get involved in health care with exposure to physiotheraphy even if it means volunteering. Once you have been back for at least 24 months you can start applying for courses as by the time the course starts you should have meet the residence requirement. It may be worth self funding a course which would make you eligible for physiotherapy via the postgraduate route, it would also meet the requirement for evidence of recent study at level 3 or above.

If you opt to study something that is not exempt from ELQ and is not eligible for NHS funding, your previous study means you will be unlikely to be eligible for further funding at undergraduate level. Even if you waited the 3 years to satisfy the residence requirement. There is little or no funding for post graduate study and you may not qualify as a home student if you don't satisfy the residency requirement. For postgraduate study many self fund from savings or take a career development loan.

When you return to the UK make sure you register on the electoral roll, open a bank account etc as this will all help if you need to prove residency. If you decide to delay your further education goals.

Thanks for the info - sounds like self funding on a masters somewhat related geography is my best course of action but not sure if geography is really my thing anymore but will look into town or urban planning.
Reply 3
i am unsure if it is possible to do a masters with 2:2 (normally ask for at least 2:1). but i dont know.
Reply 4
Original post by WeeGuy
i am unsure if it is possible to do a masters with 2:2 (normally ask for at least 2:1). but i dont know.

A 2:1 or First is the usual entry requirement for a Masters. However you can find unis which will allow you to enrol on the slightly lower-ranked PGDip with a 2:2, which in my field is essentially the taught Masters modules and coursework, completed over two terms. Some unis will then let you progress to the dissertation and the full Masters if your coursework marks are good. A friend of mine has done exactly this at Birmingham with a 2:2 at undergrad, and is finishing her diss for the full Masters at the moment.

However many (most?) UK universities will want to see evidence of recent academic activity. Assuming the OP graduated aged 21, this means that they've been out of education for about five years. It could be that a uni would ask for something like an Access course, just to get geared back up and show that there's still academic potential.

Having said that, entry requirements for mature students are generally more flexible than those advertised in the prospectus. Possibly more so at undergrad level, but there still may be unadvertised wiggle room at Masters level. It's worth testing the waters by finding a couple of courses which take your fancy, then emailing the Admissions Office of that uni giving educational details so far and asking whether they would consider an application without further qualifications. If not, then try asking what type of qualification they'd be looking for.

I think that with the solid educational background given in the first post, it should be possible to find a Masters course via a direct or indirect route. Beware of taking one on just for the sake of it though. It's a very full-on, full-time calender year - I'm finding my MPhil/PhD much more relaxed overall. My experience of a Masters was that it was draining and exhausting - and I loved my subject and I don't have a family to cope with. If you're just taking on a subject for the sake of it, without really being committed or fully engaged, it could be a horrible experience.
Reply 5
OP just a thought, you mentioned you are coming back in 3/4 months which means you won't be back in time for starting a course this academic year, so the earliest you could start would be September 2014. If you are really set on physiotherapy or similar you would probably be best to wait it out. Whilst you may update your skills a bit with a masters it will not have the same impact in the UK job market that it has in the USA. You would be better off polishing up your CV in a UK format and seeking employment. More study will not necessarily make you more employable.

If your wife only has an American passport, then look carefully into visa rules for UK citizens returning with a non UK/EU spouse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending