The Student Room Group

Psychology interns/placements for undergrats??

Hi,

I'm currently a y3 undergrat student studying Psy with Edu. I want to gain some working experience in clinic/ mental wellbeing centre in general. I'm interested in mental counseling but I don't know if there is any oppotunities since I'm only an undergraduate and have 0 experience in practice.

I'm an international student so I'm don't know how interns and placements work in UK... I'm appreciate if you can give me some advice!!!!!:adore:
Original post by OnWire
Hi,

I'm currently a y3 undergrat student studying Psy with Edu. I want to gain some working experience in clinic/ mental wellbeing centre in general. I'm interested in mental counseling but I don't know if there is any oppotunities since I'm only an undergraduate and have 0 experience in practice.

I'm an international student so I'm don't know how interns and placements work in UK... I'm appreciate if you can give me some advice!!!!!:adore:

There's internships and experience schemes you can apply to open to psychology students, or generally volunteer at a mental health ward. Relatively easy things to get into while you're still an undergraduate psychology student.

I assume that as an international student, you're on some sort of visa which will limit your working hours to 20 hours a week. I'm unsure if this includes unpaid though, and with the end of your degree fast approaching, I'm also unsure of how it works after your degree ends and/or your current visa expires. Worth checking out the rules, and reaching out student support at your university - you won't have been the first international students with questions regarding their visa :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
There's internships and experience schemes you can apply to open to psychology students, or generally volunteer at a mental health ward. Relatively easy things to get into while you're still an undergraduate psychology student.

I assume that as an international student, you're on some sort of visa which will limit your working hours to 20 hours a week. I'm unsure if this includes paid though, and with the end of your degree fast approaching, I'm also unsure of how it works after your degree ends and/or your current visa expires. Worth checking out the rules, and reaching out student support at your university - you won't have been the first international students with questions regarding their visa :smile:
Thank you for your advice! I'll talk to people in career centre :smile:)))

Quick Reply

Latest