The Student Room Group

Retaking AS year

Hi guys,

I'm currently waiting for my AS results but I pretty much know they won't be the best grades. I haven't tried half as much as I needed to this year, but I really want to retake AS altogether so that I stand the best possible chance of getting good grades. I've been told by my head of sixth that retaking is not an option (something to do with funding?) and that I will not be able to do this. However, I really don't want to go into A2 with poor grades like an E or D in all of my subjects - that's probably what I'll get at best. I haven't applied for anywhere else to go, so if I fail altogether I'm worried that my school will kick me out and I'll be left with nothing to do. The weird thing is that my friend has been told he is allowed to retake the year provided he passes at least two of his subjects...

Can my school completely throw me out of sixth form if I fail this year, or will they actually let me retake despite what they have said? I don't understand.
Reply 1
Original post by Tom
Hi guys,

I'm currently waiting for my AS results but I pretty much know they won't be the best grades. I haven't tried half as much as I needed to this year, but I really want to retake AS altogether so that I stand the best possible chance of getting good grades. I've been told by my head of sixth that retaking is not an option (something to do with funding?) and that I will not be able to do this. However, I really don't want to go into A2 with poor grades like an E or D in all of my subjects - that's probably what I'll get at best. I haven't applied for anywhere else to go, so if I fail altogether I'm worried that my school will kick me out and I'll be left with nothing to do. The weird thing is that my friend has been told he is allowed to retake the year provided he passes at least two of his subjects...

Can my school completely throw me out of sixth form if I fail this year, or will they actually let me retake despite what they have said? I don't understand.

Some sixth forms do have boundary grades you must meet to progress to the next year and can kick you out. It is quite expensive to allow students to retake all of year 12 then go on to year 13 after. my school used to allow this but not anymore, not all sixth forms will allow you to retake a whole year.

but an option at your disposal is entering yourself for AS retakes through your exams officer (you will have to pay). but you probably wont be allowed in any classes and will have to do alot of independent revision. (this may not work if your sixth form forbids this)

I suggest on results day talking to your head of year/ admissions guy or who ever is involved about your options and if you are allowed to retake since they may still allow you despite what they said in the past.

good luck
Original post by Tom
Hi guys,

funding is an issue you only get funding up until you 19th birthday I assume you are at least 17 maybe even 18 which probably means your too old too retake for free unless you studied fast track which is rarely offered and more work

just sit you A2s If you work really hard you could pull that up and Es could become Cs maybe even Bs at a push and Ds can become Bs maybe even As - it would be a lot of work but BBC or BCC isn't the end of the world and if you can get BBB that's standard entry for lots of great courses
Reply 3
After my AS results I resat everything but changed colleges. I'm 19 now (20 in September) and there were quite a few of my friends and I who were 'year 14s'.

I think it's best to just explain you're feelings to the head of your college, or failing that, maybe change colleges?

Worked well for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rattusratus
funding is an issue you only get funding up until you 19th birthday I assume you are at least 17 maybe even 18 which probably means your too old too retake for free unless you studied fast track which is rarely offered and more work

just sit you A2s If you work really hard you could pull that up and Es could become Cs maybe even Bs at a push and Ds can become Bs maybe even As - it would be a lot of work but BBC or BCC isn't the end of the world and if you can get BBB that's standard entry for lots of great courses

My 19th birthday is in June 2015, so should I retake AS this year I would already be into exam season for A2 before my 19th.

Quick Reply

Latest