The Student Room Group

What would you think of an interviewee who looked nervous

So my interviewers told me i looked really nervous about 4 times, one of which was in the waiting room before the interview. I wasn't fidgeting or looking down or anything, i swear bitching resting face is ruining my life. I didn't feel massively nervous but them bringing it up kind of made me feel worse and i stumbled a few words. How do you look nervous though?
What would you think of someone who looked nervous?
Reply 1
Nerves are good. Nerves show that you really want this.
Cannot stand arrogant, over-confident people. A bit of nerves is good, don't worry.
Maybe have a few practice interviews with friends and family? Get used to sitting in front of people and talking about yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by PotterLaw
Nerves are good. Nerves show that you really want this.
Cannot stand arrogant, over-confident people. A bit of nerves is good, don't worry.
Maybe have a few practice interviews with friends and family? Get used to sitting in front of people and talking about yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you:smile:. Yeah i never thought to practice, i will definitely practice my interview technique beforehand next time, thanks
Reply 3
Original post by vivavangveing
Thank you:smile:. Yeah i never thought to practice, i will definitely practice my interview technique beforehand next time, thanks

No problem :smile: it really helped me as well. I tend to get nervous & lose all coherent thought. I also try to think of possible qs and plan my answers before hand. Although I make sure I don't make the answers too rigid as qs can be unpredictable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
When I'm nervous, I just make sure to try to slow down my thoughts and think before I speak.

Better to be silent and thought a fool (or admit that you don't have a good answer) than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Reply 5
No problem :smile: it really helped me as well. I tend to get nervous & lose all coherent thought. I also try to think of possible qs and plan my answers before hand. Although I make sure I don't make the answers too rigid as qs can be unpredictable!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by AT06
When I'm nervous, I just make sure to try to slow down my thoughts and think before I speak.

Better to be silent and thought a fool (or admit that you don't have a good answer) than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Thanks guys, some good tips. Nervousness is a bit new to me as i did used be quite arrogant and full of myself when i was younger. Yeah i think i spoke way too much, he did comment on it and said it was taking him longer to catch up with writing it all down. Oh well i'm definitely putting this one down to experience, especially being the very last of 50 odd people they interviewed for 4 positions.
I have no rep left but thanks again :smile:
Reply 6
Being nervous is completely normal and I would prefer someone being nervous instead of someone that is like a robot.
Nerves are quite normal but you have to control them and whilst the interviewer will expect you to be a bit nervous it can ruin your chances if you coming across as a bit of a mess.

Look at it from their perspective, depending on the role you could be put in front of customers or clients and they more often than not need someone who is confident and natural. Preparation is the key to overcoming nerves.
Personally I echo the comments above regarding nerves- I think they show you want the job and are to be expected to some extent. What I can say is I used to be very nervous at interview myself; interview feedback I received commented on this too. However, I've now done about 12 interviews and although I've still not landed a job (due to other factors) the feedback I've been getting is extremely positive. I'm no longer nervous at interview, because I now expect to be rejected. I just go to interviews now with the mindset that I'm actually interviewing them! I've even started going to interviews for jobs I don't even want just to practice my interview technique; they ask the same kind of questions at nearly every interview and I'm now able to spit out a textbook answer to nearly anything they throw at me. Lately comments have been made on how calm, collected and logical my answers have been so it appears that although nerves are acceptable, employers seem to prefer a little confidence which comes with practice- this is purely down to the number of interviews I have now done so keep practising!

Original post by vivavangveing
So my interviewers told me i looked really nervous about 4 times, one of which was in the waiting room before the interview. I wasn't fidgeting or looking down or anything, i swear bitching resting face is ruining my life. I didn't feel massively nervous but them bringing it up kind of made me feel worse and i stumbled a few words. How do you look nervous though?
What would you think of someone who looked nervous?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ForgetMe
Being nervous is completely normal and I would prefer someone being nervous instead of someone that is like a robot.

Original post by g_star_raw_1989
Nerves are quite normal but you have to control them and whilst the interviewer will expect you to be a bit nervous it can ruin your chances if you coming across as a bit of a mess.

Look at it from their perspective, depending on the role you could be put in front of customers or clients and they more often than not need someone who is confident and natural. Preparation is the key to overcoming nerves.

Thanks, i didnt think i was showing any outward signs of nervousness like being super awkward or anything i guess it was written all over my face :redface:. I will definitely prepare better next time, thanks :smile:

Original post by EmptyBracket
Personally I echo the comments above regarding nerves- I think they show you want the job and are to be expected to some extent. What I can say is I used to be very nervous at interview myself; interview feedback I received commented on this too. However, I've now done about 12 interviews and although I've still not landed a job (due to other factors) the feedback I've been getting is extremely positive. I'm no longer nervous at interview, because I now expect to be rejected. I just go to interviews now with the mindset that I'm actually interviewing them! I've even started going to interviews for jobs I don't even want just to practice my interview technique; they ask the same kind of questions at nearly every interview and I'm now able to spit out a textbook answer to nearly anything they throw at me. Lately comments have been made on how calm, collected and logical my answers have been so it appears that although nerves are acceptable, employers seem to prefer a little confidence which comes with practice- this is purely down to the number of interviews I have now done so keep practising!

Thank you, i'd never thought of applying for jobs i don't want just for the application/interview experience, that's a really good tip, thanks :smile:

I never got the job but they are going to add me to the staff bank and they gave me loads of feedback and said i came across as a very nervous person but they could help me 'come out of my shell' in the team.
Thanks everyone who replied and for all the tips!:smile:

edit: i ran out of rep at the first one but i'll be back, thanks everyone!
(edited 10 years ago)
That they are human :tongue:

Great post.

As EmptyBracket notes, the key is to adopt a 'nothing to lose' attitude which will allow you to 'interview them'.

Obviously it isn't a nothing to lose situation and the balance of power doesn't lie with you. But if you trick your mind into believing you are just there for the experience for a chat among equals, then you will perform much much better.

I used to get nervous before interviews (and some nerves are normal/expected/good). But I still used to do what EB suggests. I'd literally stand in the gents in front of the mirror and think "they poo in here, too". I'd follow it up with some generic positive self talk rubbish which, though cheesy, actually puts the mind at ease.

If you want to appear less nervous, the tricks are:

1. Be conscious of your hands. Keep them relaxed in your lap and only move them if you are in control. Nervous people tend to 'flap' them about or shake or keep them in an obviously tense position.

2. As suggested above, think before every word and speak deliberately slowly. You might feel like it's too slow, but believe me when you're nervous it will be quicker than you think it is.

3. Smile and take your time. If they give you a glass of water, use it as a prop. They can't expect you to drink and talk, so sip it as you think if an answer. Or sip it between questions to slow the pace that the questions are coming at you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a really good post :smile:

The bold is what I was told by a friend, and although at first I started off in my last interview very nervous, I soon relaxed and got into the swing of it. The interviewers were also very friendly and instantly put me at ease.

This also might sound insane, but enjoy it! With that mindset, it helps an awful lot and don't over prepare!! Bonkers tips, I know, but it's what I did . . .and I got the job! :smile: I think overpreparing and etc, can instantly make you feel anxious and nervous. Just relax. :smile:

I used to be a complete mess when it comes to interview. At my worst interview which there were only one question - "You have 30 minutes, tell me about yourself. You can start" , I was so nervous that I couldn't even properly structure my sentence. I've been to more than 15 interviews and got rejected for most of them. Since then, I got so used to rejections and I don't really expect to get offers from employers anymore. And hence the nervousness started to die down.. I went to 3 interviews few weeks ago and I didn't even prepare properly for any of them - treated them as a casual meeting, and I ended up getting 2 offers. I must have learnt a lot from my past interviews!
Original post by Starship Traveller
I used to be a complete mess when it comes to interview. At my worst interview which there were only one question - "You have 30 minutes, tell me about yourself. You can start" , I was so nervous that I couldn't even properly structure my sentence. I've been to more than 15 interviews and got rejected for most of them. Since then, I got so used to rejections and I don't really expect to get offers from employers anymore. And hence the nervousness started to die down.. I went to 3 interviews few weeks ago and I didn't even prepare properly for any of them - treated them as a casual meeting, and I ended up getting 2 offers. I must have learnt a lot from my past interviews!

30mins??!! Wow! I don't think I'd be able to fill that time lol.

Congrats on your offers! I really think it helps to relax and view it as you interviewing them :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Starship Traveller

Well done :smile:
30mins??!! Wow! I don't think I'd be able to fill that time lol.

Congrats on your offers! I really think it helps to relax and view it as you interviewing them :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers, don't forget to relax when you have interviews next time .Yes, 30 minutes! I only managed to talk for 5 minutes and the interviewer was like 'So this is just what you could perform, I WAS so impressive with your personal statement etc...are you sure you have nothing more to talk about?' Such a painful memory ><
Original post by DancinBallerina
Well done :smile:

Cheers! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending