The Student Room Group

Is it worth getting this paper remarked?

So I want to read History at uni and therefore I would like to get an A* next year at A2.
In one paper I received 90 UMS and in another I received 80 UMS - I felt that the paper had gone better than just scraping an A [I worked out I dropped 22 marks].
I know it seems silly remarking an A but I'm not sure?
Reply 1
Theres really no point, you have the 80% in the AS year all you need is 90% in the A2 year and you have an A*, getting more marks now will not affect a thing except in the case where you bomb next year.

In that case more marks now would be useful but if you anticipate going for an A* anyway that doesn't seem to be a problem. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Dingo749
Theres really no point, you have the 80% in the AS year all you need is 90% in the A2 year and you have an A*, getting more marks now will not affect a thing except in the case where you bomb next year.

In that case more marks now would be useful but if you anticipate going for an A* anyway that doesn't seem to be a problem. :smile:

Okay, great thanks! :smile: I won't bother getting it remarked as like you said I'm hoping next year goes well so hopefully won't need those extra marks
Original post by jellybellys
So I want to read History at uni and therefore I would like to get an A* next year at A2.
In one paper I received 90 UMS and in another I received 80 UMS - I felt that the paper had gone better than just scraping an A [I worked out I dropped 22 marks].

Congrats and well done on your marks :smile:

Personally , I wouldn't bother remarking it - as it may go down to a B grade as History is a subjective subject and your marks are really good anyway.

~ Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 4

The same happened to me, edexcel btw?

I got Unit 1 - 80
Unit 2 - 90

Happy overall but surprised I did worse on the unit I thought I did better on :tongue:
Don't waste your money, just focus on A2
Reply 6
Don't you dare! :biggrin:

For an A* you need an A for each of your AS exams (80 UMS for you), in addition to an A* in all your A2 exams (90 UMS).

If you get it re-marked and end up being struck down below 80 UMS you're going to be hurting!

It's worth it if you plan on applying to Cambridge, who set great store by your UMS at AS.
Reply 8
Original post by Tha Realest
Congrats and well done on your marks :smile:

Personally , I wouldn't bother remarking it - as it may go down to a B grade as History is a subjective subject and your marks are really good anyway.

~ Good Luck :biggrin:

Thank you :biggrin: Yeah you're right - I think i'd much rather keep the 80 and not risk the chance of losing a mark! Thanks :smile:

Original post by Robbie242
The same happened to me, edexcel btw?

I got Unit 1 - 80
Unit 2 - 90

Happy overall but surprised I did worse on the unit I thought I did better on :tongue:

Nah, AQA for me! Well done on your marks! I know what you mean though - oh well I guess we'll just have to focus on A2! :biggrin:

Original post by AverageExcellence
Don't waste your money, just focus on A2

Okay, will do - thanks

Original post by Pedd
Don't you dare! :biggrin:

For an A* you need an A for each of your AS exams (80 UMS for you), in addition to an A* in all your A2 exams (90 UMS).

If you get it re-marked and end up being struck down below 80 UMS you're going to be hurting!

haha thank you! :tongue: I could still get an A* next year if my exam went down to a B because to get an A* I just need an average of 80% in all 4 modules next year + 90% average in a2 modules! but thank you - you're right, it would be a bigger bummer if it went down!

Original post by ageshallnot
It's worth it if you plan on applying to Cambridge, who set great store by your UMS at AS.

Thanks :smile: Nah I don't think I'm going for Cambridge - maybe Oxford but I don't think my UMS's are that high for my other subjects! thanks tho

Quick Reply

Latest