The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Electronic engineering foundation year

post removed
Reply 1
engineering foundation years at most universities will cover the same sort of things.

I will be starting mine in one week as that's when I move out to university. Basically you study maths from gcse basics up to a little bit of further maths knowledge, you then learn engineering mechanics, engineering labs, and start to learn things covered in mech eng/electronic engineering and you then have a module that sort of sets the stone for year 1 and beyond and goes beyond a-level knowledge covering topics like fluid mechanics/thermodynamics thus thoroughly preparing you for year 1 of your engineering degree.

and yes it is possible to go onto MEng but you have to get a certain % which differs from uni to uni as the modules might be weighted differently(at mine its 60%). Don't take it as an "easy" year just work hard and you'll be fine :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
for those doing engineering foundation years for chem engineering it differs a little instead of having engineering mechanics they have chemistry modules! but for the rest of the engineering disciplines ie mechanical/electrical and or electronic/civil will cover this sort of topics!

Are you starting yours this month too? :smile:
Reply 3
Uni of Sussex. If you want to help change the world for the better or develop new ideas for the future (including current) and providing you are fairly decent at mathematics and science (particularly maths,since there's more of it) then engineering is an exciting field to be involved in.Job prospects for engineers are excellent and they are also among the best paid graduates in industry. It's also one of hardest degrees to complete so it's certainly not easy but if you're interested and keen on your subject and work hard it's more than possible :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
hi have any of you done your pat testing qualfication im wondering what college to do mines at cant choose?
Reply 5
Original post by andybrown
hi have any of you done your pat testing qualfication im wondering what college to do mines at cant choose?

pat testing? what's that?
Reply 6
Portable appliance testing (PAT) is the term used to describe the examination of electrical appliances and equipment to ensure they are safe to use. Most electrical safety defects can be found by visual examination but some types of defect can only be found by testing. However, it is essential to understand that visual examination is an essential part of the process because some types of electrical safety defect can't be detected by testing alone.
A relatively brief user check (based upon simple training and perhaps assisted by the use of a brief checklist) can be a very useful part of any electrical maintenance regime. However, more formal visual inspection and testing by a competent person may also be required at appropriate intervals, depending upon the type of equipment and the environment in which it is used
Reply 7
Original post by andybrown
Portable appliance testing (PAT) is the term used to describe the examination of electrical appliances and equipment to ensure they are safe to use. Most electrical safety defects can be found by visual examination but some types of defect can only be found by testing. However, it is essential to understand that visual examination is an essential part of the process because some types of electrical safety defect can't be detected by testing alone.
A relatively brief user check (based upon simple training and perhaps assisted by the use of a brief checklist) can be a very useful part of any electrical maintenance regime. However, more formal visual inspection and testing by a competent person may also be required at appropriate intervals, depending upon the type of equipment and the environment in which it is used

I see, I was not aware of this. Thanks for the insight :smile:

to answer your question no I don't do PAT testing!

Quick Reply

Latest