The Student Room Group

How do I apply for the teacher training bursaries & grants?

xxx
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi, I believe the bursary aspect comes direct from the Teaching Agency and the uni you are going to should deal with that on your behalf. From what I understand the uni will advise the TA of your degree class etc and then the TA will pay the uni who will pay you. As for the maintenance grant you need to contact student finance and apply through them, if you've already applied for a tuition fee loan you may have already been assessed for any grants so it might be worth calling them. I don't think there is anything else you are entitled to unless you have dependents.
Reply 2
Yeah, your university will sort out the Teaching Agency bursary. Just before the course (I think, or maybe sometime in the first week) we had to fill out a form with our bank details, but they gave us a cheque for the first payment so we didn't have to wait while they set up the direct debit.

If you're worried you can always email the university to ask them to confirm this - I was considering moving house, so got them to write me a letter confirming my income which I could show to estate agents, etc. when applying.

Maintenance grants I assume are dealt with at the same time as the maintenance loan from the Student Loans Company, but I've never been entitled to one (for some reason at the age of 24 and living with my unemployed partner, it was still assessed on my parents' income!) so I'm not sure how it works.
Reply 3
The bursary element has been well covered above. For the fees and maintenance side you need to apply via student finance. Log on with your existing details for your undergraduate loan/grant and you should then be able to select the correct options to apply for what you need. If you are not sure then give them a call and they should be able to talk you though it - once they answer your call!! You can call them on 0141 243 3600 rather than use the national rate number if you have free minutes on a mobile etc.

Best of luck.
thanks a lot guys!
Reply 5
Maintenance grant is part of the student loan application and if you are living with parent(s) but are over 25 then you don't include their income in household income to see if you qualify. Quite right too - though I don't see why that doesn't apply to everyone regardless of age. If someone complains though I guess no one will get anything - that's usually what happens with these things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been wondering too all summer but yesterday got a letter from my Uni with a form to be filled in with my details and bank details. As I got a 2:1 in English I'm entitled to 4 grand which is very pleasing.

The Uni sorts out your bursary which you never pay back and may give you an option to deduct your course fees with the bursary (though you can choose not to do this and use your Student loan to cover this, though of course some day you'll have to pay that back.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending