The Student Room Group

Changing from medicine to nursing?

Im thinking of going into nursing if i end up failing my medicine degree. I wanted to ask how funding will work? I heard that the nhs bursary covers the tuition fees is that true? Will i be eligible even though i i were to have failed my initial degree (medicine)?
Original post by AlevelReject68
Im thinking of going into nursing if i end up failing my medicine degree. I wanted to ask how funding will work? I heard that the nhs bursary covers the tuition fees is that true? Will i be eligible even though i i were to have failed my initial degree (medicine)?

No the NHS bursary doesn't cover tuition fees. If you are eligible for student finance and you study a nursing course at a uni in England, you can apply to the NHS Learning Support Fund for an annual training grant of £5,000 plus other support. More details:

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf

Hi there. Nursing is an exception course, so you can be funded for Tuition Fees, Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants (if eligible). We would not take previous study into account. The Learning Support Fund is a separate grant you may be eligible for through the NHS. Thanks, Leah.
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Nursing is an exception course, so you can be funded for Tuition Fees, Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants (if eligible). We would not take previous study into account. The Learning Support Fund is a separate grant you may be eligible for through the NHS. Thanks, Leah.

Thank you so much! This is going to be my safety net if i fail med.
Thank you so much! This is going to be my safety net if i fail med.

You're welcome - if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Thanks, Graeme
Original post by Graeme SFE
You're welcome - if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Thanks, Graeme

Hi I had a question. I checked online and it says that some degrees can offer funding regardless of previous study which includes allied health professions. does pharmacy and optometry counts as this?
Hi there. It doesn't look like Pharmacy and Optometry are on our full-time exception course list. Are you able to confirm the full name of the courses plus the university you will study at, and I can check the part-time list? Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending