The Student Room Group

Should I be making my workmates tea and coffee?

I don't like either tea or coffee myself, but feel awkward at my new job as I'm effectively the lowest ranked person in the office so feel like I should be making them.

Today I said "Oh I'll have to make it next time for you!" as I started to feel awkward about it, but we then went into a conversation about how fussy they are regarding how they like them...being a non-hot drink drinker, I barely know how to even make a basic cup of coffee.

My line manager is currently away, but I feel like I should be making them and get used to making them upon his return. Is this an unwritten rule of the office world that the lowest ranked person makes the drinks? It's just weird because it's not like I can be like "I'm just making a tea, does anyone want one?" like they do, and I always feel awkward to ask randomly but feel like they must think im so rude!
I think you're worrying too much. If you're making a hot drink it's polite to ask if others want one but other than that you're all adults and if they want a drink they'll get one.
Make a joke about not like tea and coffee if you want them to know why you're not offering it.
Original post by tinman1
I don't like either tea or coffee myself, but feel awkward at my new job as I'm effectively the lowest ranked person in the office so feel like I should be making them.

Today I said "Oh I'll have to make it next time for you!" as I started to feel awkward about it, but we then went into a conversation about how fussy they are regarding how they like them...being a non-hot drink drinker, I barely know how to even make a basic cup of coffee.

My line manager is currently away, but I feel like I should be making them and get used to making them upon his return. Is this an unwritten rule of the office world that the lowest ranked person makes the drinks? It's just weird because it's not like I can be like "I'm just making a tea, does anyone want one?" like they do, and I always feel awkward to ask randomly but feel like they must think im so rude!

No- just because you are the lowest-ranked person in the office, that doesn't mean you are on tea making duties.

In every office I've worked in, the general rule is that people make their own hot drinks. Some groups of colleagues might do a 'tea round' among themselves where they take it in turns to make drinks. Every now and then, it is polite to ask if anyone else wants anything.

Remember, for many people, the 2 minutes walking to/from the coffee machine and waiting for their coffee are a valuable break away from the desk and cherished freedom from the stress of work!
make it once in a while but don't make it a regular thing or they'll just use you :lol:
Reply 4
They can make it themselves.
Reply 5
Everywhere I have ever worked people have taken turns to make the drinks. If you don't drink it, I don't see why other people should expect you to make drinks on a regular basis.
Reply 6
If someone fancies a brew in our store, we just ask around the other members if they want one. If they do we'll make it for them, if not, coffee for one!

Sometimes it's the manager, sometimes it's the 'bottom of the pile' staff (me!). Unless it was part of your job criteria (it is for some!) then only offer to make one if you want one!
I had this same worry if in honest. I don't drink hot drinks, and even if I did I wouldn't bother at work because I have to have lactose free milk which I would have to buy in. I remember being asked for my contribution towards the tea and milk money, and when I said I didn't drink hot drinks it was suggested that I pay anyway Incase I fancied one at some point. I politely refused. I also get the impression that people feel like I should offer to make the drinks every once in a while, yet no one has ever made me a drink so I don't see why I should be obliged to make theirs. I will fill the kettle if I'm the first one in the room though. The same thing happens with biscuits. I have never bought any as I have to have milk free and they're very expensive (and not very nice either), and I also can't eat the ones that other staff bring in. I think some people just like to moan, and being the youngest by a long way I bear the brunt of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love tea and usually make one when everyone wants one , I don't mind it kills 5 mins haha :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by standreams

Remember, for many people, the 2 minutes walking to/from the coffee machine and waiting for their coffee are a valuable break away from the desk and cherished freedom from the stress of work!

Oh yes this. I don't work at an office but going to make my cup of tea and just staring at it for a minute is sometimes the best thing in the world even if I usually end up putting it in the microwave because I'm too busy to drink it

I've worked in offices before and in one job I used to get told to make the teas and coffees (and was rarely allowed one for myself lol). I didn't really mind because it was a break from the computer haha. But this is out in the country and they were old-fashioned and sexist so uh yeah gone off on a tagent not really sure on my point anymore lol

What I'm saying is no you shouldn't, especially if you don't drink hot drinks, surely it would just be weird if you made tea for everyone and not yourself haha
Original post by Ripper-Roo
They can make it themselves.

Most definitely!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending