The Student Room Group

Business Computing Degree - Any good?

Hi,

I was looking into different universities and I saw that except the usual Computer Science, they have a "Business Computing" course which apparently helps you get some insight into businesses as well.

So I was wondering if this degree is any good or should I just apply for normal Computer Science alone? I've heard that Business Computing is for people who can't do Comp Science, which is why they apply for this course - is that true at all?

I am mostly interested in programming but also would like to own a business in the future, so do you think this "Business Computing" degree has a strong career path?

Thanks
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by zmeshign
Hi,

I was looking into different universities and I saw that except the usual Computer Science, they have a "Business Computing" course which apparently helps you get some insight into businesses as well.

So I was wondering if this degree is any good or should I just apply for normal Computer Science alone? I've heard that Business Computing is for people who can't do Comp Science, which is why they apply for this course - is that true at all?

I am mostly interested in programming but also would like to own a business in the future, so do you think this "Business Computing" degree has a strong career path?

Thanks

Great question!

I studied Computer Science back in 2004 and now run my own Business (after being a school teacher), if your a strong programmer you defiantly want to study Computer Science, the Computing and Business degrees do have a poor reputation and are normally for those who do not want to deal with a significant element of programming or maths.

I studied some additional business modules at the same time, however most of my business "knowledge" has come from a mixture of common sense and experience.

Hope this helps, let me know if i can be of more help!

Gareth
Reply 3
Original post by garethwhyte
Great question!

I studied Computer Science back in 2004 and now run my own Business (after being a school teacher), if your a strong programmer you defiantly want to study Computer Science, the Computing and Business degrees do have a poor reputation and are normally for those who do not want to deal with a significant element of programming or maths.

I studied some additional business modules at the same time, however most of my business "knowledge" has come from a mixture of common sense and experience.

Hope this helps, let me know if i can be of more help!

Gareth

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I really appreciate it, and it has also helped me to make my decision as well.

Thanks again
Reply 4
what is your decision ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending