The Student Room Group

Gap year woes

To begin with I know I am in a relatively enviable position compared to some of the posters on here but I need some serious help.

I've not long finished sixth form with A*AAa in Biology, Chemistry, English lit and History respectively. I thought I was taking a medical gap year to get work experience but I have come to realise this simply isn't what I want. I declined my offer to study biochemistry this year. I simply didn't realise how soon after leaving I'd be making my university choice again, especially if I were to do medicine, and now I have literally no idea what I want from life (I'd have no work experience to do medicine now regardless)

With my grades I could study at a great university but I just feel completely lost. I am interested a great deal in chemistry/human biology, but I don't know if I want to study them or what to do with my year ahead.

What do I write on my personal statement (travel is something I hope to do)?

Anyone who can shine any light on my grim predicament will be owed much gratitude.

Thanks in advance for reading
You say you do not know what you want from life and you're - basically - not sure what to study, then you ask what you should write in your personal statement?

If you're unsure of what direction you wish to take in your life, consider your interests, experience them, talk with people and see where it takes you.

Perhaps you could volunteer a bit, thereby meeting new people while gaining skills and experience - st john first aid is always good.

What do you enjoy doing? Helping people? Researching?
I'm sorry if my writings were contradictory but they very much reflect my own confusion. Parents are big on me doing medicine which isn't an option now. It is very easy to feel rail-roaded into higher education in sixth form which I feel is half the problem. Any degree I look at I wonder if the ends justifies the means, that is to say, are the career options wide enough and plentiful enough for me to go through 3/4 years education and accumulate over £40,000 debt.

I feel I truly enjoy research which is what attracted me to biochemistry originally, but there are so many further science courses I haven't explored. I'm not aiming to be rich, just to enjoy my work and not wake up one day stuck doing something I hate.

Quick Reply

Latest