The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by letsbehonest
I had a glance at the AS book for this topic and it is covered to almost the same level of detail as A2, so you would be fine just using the A2 book.

Are there any other AS topics you think I should consider/read up on?

Schelrenchyma/Xylem
Starch and cellulose

Thats all I remember

How ready are you guys for the exam ? Anybody got notes on the article, i havent even started revising for either bio exams :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diggy
Schelrenchyma/Xylem
Starch and cellulose

Thats all I remember

How ready are you guys for the exam ? Anybody got notes on the article, i havent even started revising for either bio exams :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Need more revision for unit 5 (some of the questions are really odd and I feel like not enough knowledge is tested) but I am getting around 43/44 out of 60 on unit 5 papers so to get an A/A* I need to get 23+ ish on the article part :'(

Unit 4 seems to be okayish. Did a lot of work on it back in January just need to recap some topic 6 though.
Am I the only person who can't get through a single past paper without getting bored? Last year with units 1 & 2, I managed it fine but this year I get 3 questions done then I'm mentally drained haha. And its only biology that this is happening with
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Am I the only person who can't get through a single past paper without getting bored? Last year with units 1 & 2, I managed it fine but this year I get 3 questions done then I'm mentally drained haha. And its only biology that this is happening with

No you arent. Theres just so mucj content and so much to one question that i start thinking about other things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mynameisntbobk

I always seem to stop when I get to an ecology question, or a 5 mark graph question that anyone could answer with no revision. You're not alone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
while preparing for the IAL pre-released article, there is something that confuses me @@
Alpha-1 antitrypsin genes are co-dominant, so each allele of the pair should make 50 per cent of
the alpha-1 antitrypsin produced. But an abnormal Pi Z allele only makes about 10 per cent of
the alpha-1 antitrypsin produced by a normal Pi M allele. ......

***- I am confused about the sentence. Does it mean The Z allele makes the 10% of 50% of the antitrypsin produced --> which is 5%. Or the Z allele makes just 10%?

.......Pi ZZ people have only 15–20 per cent of normal blood alpha-1 antitrypsin levels, which is linked to severe disease. People with one Pi Z allele and one Pi M allele, Pi MZ, have alpha-1 antitrypsin levels around 60 per cent of normal (50 per cent from M and 10 per cent from Z). This is usually enough to prevent disease.
thats a good question but i thought that the Z allele makes 10% only, since later on they mention Pi ZZ have 15% - 10% which is only possible if Z allele produces 10% and not 5% (cause 5 + 5 is less than 15%)
it also later on says in the bracket that 10% is from Z...
I hope I cleared the doubt for you...
Also I wanted to know in the article it says "Individuals may have two of these abnormal alleles labelled Pi SS or Pi ZZ or one of each Pi SZ. This is called being homozygous."
So does that mean Pi SZ state is homozygous?
Original post by tazk786
No you arent. Theres just so mucj content and so much to one question that i start thinking about other things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha same, I get really into the long answers then when it comes to the shorter graphs ones, I'm just the worst
Original post by StephenNaulls
I always seem to stop when I get to an ecology question, or a 5 mark graph question that anyone could answer with no revision. You're not alone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I loved the ecology stuff lol I don't mind answering those. I'm not a big fan on the estimating time of death questions and I just stop when I see one, even if its question 2 :lol:
Do you guys think a week each for unit 4 and 5 will be enough for final revision? I covered everything and completed the majority of past papers in preparation for my mocks, so it'll literally just be going over things to ensure I remember them and maybe completing a few more papers. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Do you guys think a week each for unit 4 and 5 will be enough for final revision?

Depends on how many hours you'll put in a day. I would take 9 hours each for Unit 4 and Unit 5. You also have dat article which has to take 3 hours of the Unit 5's time in proportional to the marks allocated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RoyalBlue7
Depends on how many hours you'll put in a day. I would take 9 hours each for Unit 4 and Unit 5. You also have dat article which has to take 3 hours of the Unit 5's time in proportional to the marks allocated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be about 6 hours a day :smile: that's true!
which papers are you guys doing?
Original post by Changing Skies
Do you guys think a week each for unit 4 and 5 will be enough for final revision? I covered everything and completed the majority of past papers in preparation for my mocks, so it'll literally just be going over things to ensure I remember them and maybe completing a few more papers. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A week would be plenty of time to brush up on everything :smile: as long as you're not confusing yourself that is
Original post by chembiomaths
which papers are you guys doing?

How do you mean?
Anyone got any tips on how to answer the papers? I struggle understanding the questions :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could someone please briefly explain IAA to me? Also do we need to know of the experiments? Worried because its only come up once!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have a list of synoptic AS stuff that we should revise from the article? don't want to miss anything out :/
Original post by AnishaJayne
Anyone got any tips on how to answer the papers? I struggle understanding the questions :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look over loads of mark schemes and pick up on the main points they want you to include in answers, especially the longer QWC type questions, also maybe highlight main points of the questions so you can focus your answer, I did these things last year and got an A, so should work :smile:
Original post by kstyles
Look over loads of mark schemes and pick up on the main points they want you to include in answers, especially the longer QWC type questions, also maybe highlight main points of the questions so you can focus your answer, I did these things last year and got an A, so should work :smile:

Thank you:smile: I need an A this year for uni! thanks so much, in unit 5 I find it hard to understand what they want from me in the question ahah but thank you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys anyone doing physics here?
im been trying to fynd the physics thread for agesss....... :frown:
so im jst going to ask... for A2 do we have to know AS stuff as well for unit 4 and unit 5?
thankkkksss
Original post by Jazelle
Heyy!! Does anyone know if there is a physics unit 4 and 5 discussion, haven't found one yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

same here been searching for a long tym
btw for unit 4 and unit 5 do we have to know AS stuff?

Latest

Trending

Trending