The Student Room Group

AS Biology HW HELP?

A non smoker with low blood pressure has a plasma cholesterol concentration of 5 mmol per litre. Over a period of time this concentration increases to 8 mmol per litre. By how many times has this risk of heart disease increased? Show your working (2marks)
Original post by Choco_Cosmo!
x

You won't gain anything if someone just tells you the answer.

First, how would you go about solving this problem? Do some googling if you are un-sure and then post it.
Reply 2
You do realise this question is impossible to answer without data? Fortunately for you I remember this question from my AQA AS Biology book and happen to still have it.

Look at the curve that corresponds to the non-smoker and read off the corresponding percentages. You should be able to see what to do from there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by HarryMWilliams
You won't gain anything if someone just tells you the answer.

First, how would you go about solving this problem? Do some googling if you are un-sure and then post it.

For your information, i was asking how would you go about solving it, not for someone to give me an answer!:unimpressed:
Reply 4
For your information, i was asking how would you go about solving it, not for someone to give me an answer!:unimpressed:

Did you get it in the end?
x

Hence the "do some googling" part at the end. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by Exon
Did you get it in the end?

Yes
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Hence the "do some googling" part at the end. :rolleyes:

Lol this a set question based on a graph from made up secondary data. Google would give an answer half the globe away.:colondollar:
It's basically maths? It's increased by 60% (50/5 for 20%).
Reply 9
Original post by ToLiveInADream
It's basically maths? It's increased by 60% (50/5 for 20%).

That would be wrong. OP hasn't given the whole question therefore it's impossible to do it because we don't know if the relationship between risk and cholesterol concentration is linear (or even constant for that matter).

The original question gives a line graph with cholesterol concentration against % suffering from heart disease. Four curves were given to differentiate between smokers/non-smokers and high/low blood pressure. OP was meant to pick the right curve and read the percentages at 8mmol/l and 5mmol/l then divide the former by the latter to get the answer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
It varies for each individual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending