The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMoho
Yes I have indeed! And I was very impressed.
The Canterbury campus was a 15 minute walk from the Canterbury West train station, and had a clearly signed lovely footpath with nature surrounding it. The campus has everything on it. Banks, Cafes, gyms, theatres, all the different departments. It's all there!
The Architecture building is only two floors but the studios and the workshop are very impressive and spacious. Also, very very high-tech equipment :smile:
They have this new 'Crit space' building for the architecture, and it basically has this awesome clean brand new room with round tables and like, 8 huge touch screens on the walls surrounding the room. Geared with cool new simulation software, Googlemaps and some 3D programmes, it's basically the ideal tool to present your ideas with total convenience and get critique for your work. They regularly have meetings in this crit space and students from other places also come to visit.
The award-winning outer facade of the building has this cool design where the wind creates waves on it. I'm sorry if I can't describe it clearly, but yeah just look on their website if you wanna know what I'm talking about.

Overall canterbury seemed like a nice clean quiet area but I didn't get to visit the town centre unfortunately.

Omg it sounds soooo cool! I might apply now! :biggrin: Oh and if you don't mind - what are your predicted grades? Mine's AAC, and I'm worried about my C in physics :/
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Hi,

Considering applying for Biomedical Science but still uncertain,
A* in French already done whole A'level in AS.
BC predicted (for Bio and Chem), ressiting modules for AS
Ressiting physics (grade E at AS :frown: ) independantly as i changed college at AS and the exam board were not compatible
To finish C in general studies at AS not continued to A2 as it wasn't available at new college.
I have a special circumstances letter from my old college aswell which my tutor said would help.

Do you think I should consider applying at Kent?

Thanks
Reply 62
Original post by Archengsculp
Omg it sounds soooo cool! I might apply now! :biggrin: Oh and if you don't mind - what are your predicted grades? Mine's AAC, and I'm worried about my C in physics :/

I still haven't got mine... :frown: I'll tell you when I do..

oh and don't worry about your physics, because it's only the beginning of the year and you have all this time to practice it hardcore and get a much better grade than a C.

Have you spoken to your teacher about your predicted C? If you beg the teachers, would they be able to raise it to a B?
(edited 10 years ago)
Applying for Psychology. I'll be travelling to and from uni. I live in London and don't drive. anyone know what tubes i can take? and the distance
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 64
Anyone else going to the open day tomorrow?
Original post by TheMoho
I still haven't got mine... :frown: I'll tell you when I do..

oh and don't worry about your physics, because it's only the beginning of the year and you have all this time to practice it hardcore and get a much better grade than a C.

Have you spoken to your teacher about your predicted C? If you beg the teachers, would they be able to raise it to a B?

Ah :/ In my school it's usually the same as, or 1 grade above what you achieved at AS.. so it's kinda obvious what I got at AS :'( - I struggled with Maths and Physics which dragged down my creative subjects :/

Yeah definitely, and I know that I shouldn't settle with a C but it's just .. Art is so overwhelming!

I have, and honestly - they have said that statistically even if they do predict a student 2 grades above what they achieved at AS, it's highly unlikely that they will end up getting it.

And it's a lot of pressure because I'm doing 2 coursework-heavy subjects :/

Do you happen to know on average, how many students enrol into 1st year at Kent?
Original post by Ndella
Anyone else going to the open day tomorrow?

Me :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by Alex-Torres
Me :smile:

Hey, Hope the uni looks as good as the course I want to take :smile:
Original post by Ndella
Hey, Hope the uni looks as good as the course I want to take :smile:

Kent looks sooo sick!
Reply 69
Original post by Alex-Torres
Kent looks sooo sick!

Haha I know
Reply 70
Ah :/ In my school it's usually the same as, or 1 grade above what you achieved at AS.. so it's kinda obvious what I got at AS :'( - I struggled with Maths and Physics which dragged down my creative subjects :/

Yeah definitely, and I know that I shouldn't settle with a C but it's just .. Art is so overwhelming!

I have, and honestly - they have said that statistically even if they do predict a student 2 grades above what they achieved at AS, it's highly unlikely that they will end up getting it.

And it's a lot of pressure because I'm doing 2 coursework-heavy subjects :/

Do you happen to know on average, how many students enrol into 1st year at Kent?

awww man... I feel your pain :frown:

I got an E in maths and a D in physics in AS... and I had to drop maths....

Well, I know that roughly, 1200 people apply for achi at kent every year, and only like, 150 places are there...

That's 1 person chosen out of every 8 who apply... :erm:
Original post by TheMoho
awww man... I feel your pain :frown:

I got an E in maths and a D in physics in AS... and I had to drop maths....

Well, I know that roughly, 1200 people apply for achi at kent every year, and only like, 150 places are there...

That's 1 person chosen out of every 8 who apply... :erm:

I feel a bit better now that someone else is kinda in the same situation as me - I've actually been stalking last years threads for the past few hours and I'm sure there's next to no hope for me now :/

Hmm.. - looking at the numbers for Kent now I'm a bit meh because I went to the Manchester open day, hated the large campus and 180 in 1st year seemed ridiculous.. now this.. ahhhh I don't know >_<
Reply 72
I feel a bit better now that someone else is kinda in the same situation as me - I've actually been stalking last years threads for the past few hours and I'm sure there's next to no hope for me now :/

Hmm.. - looking at the numbers for Kent now I'm a bit meh because I went to the Manchester open day, hated the large campus and 180 in 1st year seemed ridiculous.. now this.. ahhhh I don't know >_<

Yeah, but you know what they say... hope for the best, expect the worst..

I'm still gonna aim high and apply for Kent, noone is stopping me :smile: And I think we should do this together. Don't forget there will always be a plan B and a plan C and a plan D, like applying somewhere else through clearing, doing an art foundation, or taking a gap year to improve grades... We have nothing to lose by applying to Kent.

Right?
Wait 1/8 get offers?
Original post by TheMoho
Yeah, but you know what they say... hope for the best, expect the worst..

I'm still gonna aim high and apply for Kent, noone is stopping me :smile: And I think we should do this together. Don't forget there will always be a plan B and a plan C and a plan D, like applying somewhere else through clearing, doing an art foundation, or taking a gap year to improve grades... We have nothing to lose by applying to Kent.

Right?

Yeah definitely! :P

I'm actually currently rattling my brains to figure out the 5 I'll be applying to.. as I should hopefully pay + send by monday for my application to be checked by school and then getting sent off...

So far the ones I'm definitely going to apply to are:
Kent - AAB
Huddersfield - AAB
Newcastle K190 - ABB - this is a new course for this year, Archy & Urban Planning? There's an option to transfer to pure Architecture after 1st year providing you get 60% in both design modules.. so it seems okay - but I still have queries with it because I'm scared that after 3rd year they'll turn around to me and say, nope, your degree won't get accredited :frown:

I'm struggling for back ups now.. Maybe Leeds Met and LJMU - both at BBB. But the thing is I really don't want to stay at home [liverpool] but if worse comes to worse...

which ones are you thinking of besides Kent? Are you thinking of BA Hons or BSc? or a mixture?
Reply 75
Yeah definitely! :P

I'm actually currently rattling my brains to figure out the 5 I'll be applying to.. as I should hopefully pay + send by monday for my application to be checked by school and then getting sent off...

So far the ones I'm definitely going to apply to are:
Kent - AAB
Huddersfield - AAB
Newcastle K190 - ABB - this is a new course for this year, Archy & Urban Planning? There's an option to transfer to pure Architecture after 1st year providing you get 60% in both design modules.. so it seems okay - but I still have queries with it because I'm scared that after 3rd year they'll turn around to me and say, nope, your degree won't get accredited :frown:

I'm struggling for back ups now.. Maybe Leeds Met and LJMU - both at BBB. But the thing is I really don't want to stay at home [liverpool] but if worse comes to worse...

which ones are you thinking of besides Kent? Are you thinking of BA Hons or BSc? or a mixture?

You have a pretty good list!
I'm trying to stay at home (London), so I want to apply to:

-UCL... AABe (taking a big big risk)
-Kent... AAB
-Oxford Brookes... AAB
-Westminster... AAB
-UAL... ABB (I think this is going to be my insurance)

or if I could go for London Met as my insurance, but I haven't heard many good things about it,... i dunno..?

And as much as I prefer to have a course which is more arty than mathsy, I honestly don't mind whether it's a BA or BSc ... makes no difference to me as long as I am getting my RIBA Part 1 :P
Original post by TheMoho
You have a pretty good list!
I'm trying to stay at home (London), so I want to apply to:

-UCL... AABe (taking a big big risk)
-Kent... AAB
-Oxford Brookes... AAB
-Westminster... AAB
-UAL... ABB (I think this is going to be my insurance)

or if I could go for London Met as my insurance, but I haven't heard many good things about it,... i dunno..?

And as much as I prefer to have a course which is more arty than mathsy, I honestly don't mind whether it's a BA or BSc ... makes no difference to me as long as I am getting my RIBA Part 1 :P

Ahh I see.. and I do? Hmm.
I guess UCL is kinda a big risk seeing as it's 20 applicants per place :/
I was looking at Oxford Brookes aswell, although it looks okay I'm not sure whether I can justify risking it for 4 typical offers which I barely/just about meet and just 1 hopeful insurance :/

I've heard good things about London Met from a course I did over the summer with UCL Graduates :smile:

I'd love to study in London for the opportunities but living costs are sky high :/
Reply 77
Ahh I see.. and I do? Hmm.
I guess UCL is kinda a big risk seeing as it's 20 applicants per place :/
I was looking at Oxford Brookes aswell, although it looks okay I'm not sure whether I can justify risking it for 4 typical offers which I barely/just about meet and just 1 hopeful insurance :/

I've heard good things about London Met from a course I did over the summer with UCL Graduates :smile:

I'd love to study in London for the opportunities but living costs are sky high :/

omg WHAAAAAAT I HAD NO IDEA I HAVE A 1/20 CHANCE AT UCL.... i used to think it was 1/8......... :frown:

Yeah I went to the London Met open day myself and I actually found it okay... it's just forums on TSR, altering the way I think.........

i am so screwed
oh well
I'm still really scared that my BCD AS grades will put people off. I'm retaking to be fair but still... I just feel like I've not got a chance.
Reply 79
I got AAD for a levels and I'm worried they will reject me for business administration because of the `D`. The course requires ABB.

I got distinction, A and D for AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending