The Student Room Group

Are these considered as soft A level subjects?

I just started my a levels. I just wanted to know will these A levels affect me getting a place in university. Are they considered as soft?
English Lit
ICT
Psychology
Reply 1
Soft is often used to describe non-facilitating subjects, so to answer your question both Psychology and ICT are considered softer subjects. With that in mind, it doesn't mean they're easier since different subjects suit different people. Psychology is relatively easy conceptually, however there is a lot to memorise and I mean a lot, and you've got to nail your exam technique. Considering you're taking English Literature, I would assume you don't mind essay-writing so hopefully that should help you with Psychology. I can't comment on ICT that much, but I would assume a lot of it is coursework based so as long as you keep on top of your work you'll be fine.

A Levels aren't easy by any stretch of the imagination, so you shouldn't worry too much about your subject choices. As long as your choices aren't detrimental when applying to the universities you want to apply to (assuming you want to go to university) and you're happy with the subjects you chose, you should be fine.
Reply 2
theyre not soft but theyre not hard either but i would call them silky smooth with a few rough edges (like when u put a pillow case in da washing machine over 500x times... the feel of it changes it becomes more rough) so if i was to say how it feels i would say that and no i havent even taken these subjects b4 but my opinion should be valued just like anyone elses on this forum

p.s. a levels rock
Reply 3
English Lit is considered a facilitating subject so is well respected, but I'm not sure about ICT and Psychology.

Top universities (Like those part of the Russell group) say 'soft subjects are those with a vocational/practical bias'

I've just found this website that says:

'LIST B
A-levels of More Limited Suitability

Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Arts)
Business Studies (Economics)
Computing (Computer Science)
Creative Writing (English)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)