The Student Room Group

What extra curricular classes will increase chances of getting into medicine?

My sixth form is accepting ideas from students on enrichment classes.
I already suggested a first aid course.
Any other suggestions which will make my personal statement stand out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
- Extra language, like Chinese (that's highly regarded currently)

- Sign language course

any other courses that would show good communication and commitment :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bubble999
- Extra language, like Chinese (that's highly regarded currently)

- Sign language course

any other courses that would show good communication and commitment :smile:

Wow never thought of that lol thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
None - no one cares if you like horse riding or football or playing the oboe, what's most important is what you get out of your extra-curricular activity.

Do you actually want to learn first aid or Chinese? If so, great, go for it. But don't be under any false impressions that you're increasing your chances of getting into medical school, because you're not. Simply saying "I did X" doesn't mean anything, you need to explain why it's important to you as a person and why you think it's important when applying to do medicine.
Original post by Democracy
None - no one cares if you like horse riding or football or playing the oboe, what's most important is what you get out of your extra-curricular activity.

Do you actually want to learn first aid or Chinese? If so, great, go for it. But don't be under any false impressions that you're increasing your chances of getting into medical school, because you're not. Simply saying "I did X" doesn't mean anything, you need to explain why it's important to you as a person and why you think it's important when applying to do medicine.

This is true, but doing these activities allows the chance of improving skills and learning from them. Something which is important as well as academia :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy

Well obviously I'll add why those extra curricular activities helps me in my personal statement.
And don't extra curricular activities turn you into a well rounded person?
Original post by iWoof
Well obviously I'll add why those extra curricular activities helps me in my personal statement.
And don't extra curricular activities turn you into a well rounded person?

yeah they do. There will be loads of academic people with loads of A*s etc, but often they have no communication or social skills - which is obviously essential in a caring job. So this extra curricular should show you are both academic, practical and well rounded.

The best of look to you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by bubble999
yeah they do. There will be loads of academic people with loads of A*s etc, but often they have no communication or social skills - which is obviously essential in a caring job. So this extra curricular should show you are both academic, practical and well rounded.

The best of look to you :smile:

That's exactly what my headteacher said to me :tongue:
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending