The Student Room Group

Leeds vs Leicester

Hi all, I've received offers from both Leeds and Leicester for medicine but I'm having trouble deciding on which one to go to. Does anyone who goes to the unis have a pros and cons list?
I don’t go to either Uni, but I can help you determine what you should look out for

First and foremost, might’ve heard this a million times, medicine is equal rep in every uni, doesn’t matter what uni you go to if you are looking for rep. Now that’s out of the way, let me tell you what to look out for

Teaching style: are they a problem based learning style? Cased based learning style? Integrated learning style? If you don’t know what these teaching styles are, research about them and see what style you like and you’d benefit from.

Location: Is it somewhere you’d like to study. If you are moving out of home, is it somewhere you’d want to stay for the next 5/6 years? This is overlooked upon, but still maybe something to consider

Course structure: Do you like how the course is structured? Do you prefer more clinical exposure early on? Some unis do give you the chance to go into hospitals early just to get a feel. The university I go to structures each module by systems in the body, so one module for example I was studying the respiratory and cardiovascular system. This went through the pharmacology, physiology, anatomy and biochemistry of that one system, rather than doing a module on biochem strictly.

Societies and extra curriculars: Do they have good societies, or extra curricular stuff to do! Cant be doing medicije 24/7, always good to have a hobby!

Some of the things to consider. Sorry if it seems rushed, I’m currently on a train! Hope it helps!
Reply 2
Original post by UrFellowMedic
I don’t go to either Uni, but I can help you determine what you should look out for

First and foremost, might’ve heard this a million times, medicine is equal rep in every uni, doesn’t matter what uni you go to if you are looking for rep. Now that’s out of the way, let me tell you what to look out for

Teaching style: are they a problem based learning style? Cased based learning style? Integrated learning style? If you don’t know what these teaching styles are, research about them and see what style you like and you’d benefit from.

Location: Is it somewhere you’d like to study. If you are moving out of home, is it somewhere you’d want to stay for the next 5/6 years? This is overlooked upon, but still maybe something to consider

Course structure: Do you like how the course is structured? Do you prefer more clinical exposure early on? Some unis do give you the chance to go into hospitals early just to get a feel. The university I go to structures each module by systems in the body, so one module for example I was studying the respiratory and cardiovascular system. This went through the pharmacology, physiology, anatomy and biochemistry of that one system, rather than doing a module on biochem strictly.

Societies and extra curriculars: Do they have good societies, or extra curricular stuff to do! Cant be doing medicije 24/7, always good to have a hobby!

Some of the things to consider. Sorry if it seems rushed, I’m currently on a train! Hope it helps!

Yes it does, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending