The Student Room Group

No extra curricular stuff for primary teaching

So I am applying for primary teaching this year, or I'm planning to. However I have been trying really hard to do some extra curricular stuff with kids to strengthen my application however I've been turned away from two Brownie groups on the basis that I wasn't needed, I'm now getting a bit stressed because I'm struggling to find anything else kid-related to do. Although I have a lot of school experience i'm worried this lack of any extra curricular stuff with kids may look bad and may cause rejections, especially as i'm taking a gap year so they'd probably expect me to have done more things?? Any thoughts? How important is it?
Reply 1
Hi :smile: I'm applying for primary ed too! I have been doing brownies and guides for a few years, it's a shame you weren't needed, but numbers everywhere are getting a bit thin. I run the children's liturgy at church, and have spent time volunteering in the children's section in library, so you could ask there maybe.

I have also helped at after school clubs in the school I did my work experience at.
Maybe try rainbow or guide units?

Hope I've given you a few ideas :smile: where are you applying?xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Amypryer
Hi :smile: I'm applying for primary ed too! I have been doing brownies and guides for a few years, it's a shame you weren't needed, but numbers everywhere are getting a bit thin. I run the children's liturgy at church, and have spent time volunteering in the children's section in library, so you could ask there maybe.

I have also helped at after school clubs in the school I did my work experience at.
Maybe try rainbow or guide units?

Hope I've given you a few ideas :smile: where are you applying?xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya, thanks :smile: Luckily I have managed to find a Brownie unit now which is perfect! I'm applying to Chester, Northumbria and 2x Cumbria and I need one more choice. How about you? Wow - you sound like you'll have a great application! I'm so so nervous about actually applying haha!
Reply 3
Original post by flower124
Hiya, thanks :smile: Luckily I have managed to find a Brownie unit now which is perfect! I'm applying to Chester, Northumbria and 2x Cumbria and I need one more choice. How about you? Wow - you sound like you'll have a great application! I'm so so nervous about actually applying haha!

Hi! Aw that's good then! I'm applying to edge hill (x2) Chester Cumbria and Bangor! Aw thanks haha, just need the grades now! Have you sent your application off?x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Amypryer
Hi! Aw that's good then! I'm applying to edge hill (x2) Chester Cumbria and Bangor! Aw thanks haha, just need the grades now! Have you sent your application off?x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw I'm sure you'll get the grades haha! What you studying for a levels/btecs? If we both get interviews we might end up at the same ones for Cumbria and Chester! :smile: I haven't sent mine off cos i'm waiting to get my DBS check done so I can get a bit more volunteering done in a different school and a special needs school before interview - but i'm hoping to send it late November/early December-ish :smile: you sent yours?

Quick Reply

Latest