The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Do you guys have any tips for an upcoming interview with the head of Harris Westminister that I will be having? For example is he easy to talk to, does he challenge your thoughts and generally how did the interview go for anyone that had him. Thanks i'm really nervous and i hope I don't screw this up :smile:
Reply 781
Original post by artanShirka
Do you guys have any tips for an upcoming interview with the head of Harris Westminister that I will be having? For example is he easy to talk to, does he challenge your thoughts and generally how did the interview go for anyone that had him. Thanks i'm really nervous and i hope I don't screw this up :smile:

Hey, I have not personally had an interview with the head teacher however, I have spoken to him several times and he appears to be quite an approachable and easy going person so you should not be nervous when talking to him because the interview is like a conversation about a subject that you really enjoy so they will ask you about you chosen subject but, try and give genuine reasons because your passion and likability of the subject will be further tested in the interview with the following questions that are asked as within mine my interviewer asked me something about the culture and why I think it is important (My chosen subject was Spanish). I suggest you have a few points prepared before you have the interview, assuming that you are having an interview on one subject and just be confident and be prepared for any unexpected answers because that usually over take the nerves and they go as soon as the interview begins ALSO DO NOT PANIC, that is the worst thing ever and honestly this is probably the most interesting interview you will have in comparison to most sixth form interviews so make the most of it. Hope I helped :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Muffyn
I have not spoken to him personally, but he is a very friendly man. If it is a subject interview (as opposed to just asking you about extracurriculars etc), then you will most likely be challenged by the interview questions - that is the aim after all: to see if you are a quick thinker and possess the intellect to continue the subject at a-level. My advice - think about why you like the subject. Research on various topics of the subject. Be confident on the day, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Smile. Do not panic. It will all be okay. :smile:

Thanks this really helped but what i'm worried about is that i've always been shy and nervous around other people apart from my friends and I tend to freeze and blank out in these types of situations, its not that I wont know the answer but it will feel like my mind is in a locked state until I can calm down and thats usually too late :frown: Also what would you do to calm down and feel less nervous?
Original post by amyth4824
Hey, I have not personally had an interview with the head teacher however, I have spoken to him several times and he appears to be quite an approachable and easy going person so you should not be nervous when talking to him because the interview is like a conversation about a subject that you really enjoy so they will ask you about you chosen subject but, try and give genuine reasons because your passion and likability of the subject will be further tested in the interview with the following questions that are asked as within mine my interviewer asked me something about the culture and why I think it is important (My chosen subject was Spanish). I suggest you have a few points prepared before you have the interview, assuming that you are having an interview on one subject and just be confident and be prepared for any unexpected answers because that usually over take the nerves and they go as soon as the interview begins ALSO DO NOT PANIC, that is the worst thing ever and honestly this is probably the most interesting interview you will have in comparison to most sixth form interviews so make the most of it. Hope I helped :smile:

Thanks this helped a lot :smile:
Reply 784
Thanks this helped a lot :smile:

Your welcome, do you mind me asking what your interview is on?
Reply 785
Thanks this really helped but what i'm worried about is that i've always been shy and nervous around other people apart from my friends and I tend to freeze and blank out in these types of situations, its not that I wont know the answer but it will feel like my mind is in a locked state until I can calm down and thats usually too late :frown: Also what would you do to calm down and feel less nervous?

Goodluck! I'm sure it'll be fine :3 If you don't mind me asking, why are you having your interview now? Weren't the interviews weeks ago?
Your welcome, do you mind me asking what your interview is on?

Im appealing since I got 379 (1 mark off!) on the tests, I know this isn't a score to be proud of but i'm pretty sure I could have gotten way more if I knew we were allowed calculators for physics. I've heard from the head of my school that he was very pleased with my history test paper which is great for me since thats the subject I chose to be interviewed on and I find it easier to talk about. However I didn't do so well in maths and since I also choses further maths i'm expecting him to focus around asking me a few questions on it and maybe making me consider changing further maths to something els.
Reply 787
Im appealing since I got 379 (1 mark off!) on the tests, I know this isn't a score to be proud of but i'm pretty sure I could have gotten way more if I knew we were allowed calculators for physics. I've heard from the head of my school that he was very pleased with my history test paper which is great for me since thats the subject I chose to be interviewed on and I find it easier to talk about. However I didn't do so well in maths and since I also choses further maths i'm expecting him to focus around asking me a few questions on it and maybe making me consider changing further maths to something els.

Oh right..well I picked history and in all honestly that was the only paper I completed because I actually loved the question ( I picked the 3rd option about the most important event) and there is so much to talk about in history, it was my second interview option and I would have spoken about dictatorship because it is such a controversial topic. Good choice basically :smile: I'm not the best person to talk to about maths or further maths or physics because neither of them are my strongest subjects but my close friend who also got a place picked maths and she said it was REALLY difficult so I don't blame you if you didn't do your best to be honest and also don't be too let down by your score because there were others who got less and the fact that you are getting an interview shows how they think you have potential so just keep that in mind :smile:
Oh right..well I picked history and in all honestly that was the only paper I completed because I actually loved the question ( I picked the 3rd option about the most important event) and there is so much to talk about in history, it was my second interview option and I would have spoken about dictatorship because it is such a controversial topic. Good choice basically :smile: I'm not the best person to talk to about maths or further maths or physics because neither of them are my strongest subjects but my close friend who also got a place picked maths and she said it was REALLY difficult so I don't blame you if you didn't do your best to be honest and also don't be too let down by your score because there were others who got less and the fact that you are getting an interview shows how they think you have potential so just keep that in mind :smile:

I picked the 2nd option which asked you to write about what makes a great leader and with the constant practise of exam style structure and technique I found myself able to pick from a wide verity of options. Thank you guys for understanding and helping out and I wish you good luck with your studies :smile:
Original post by Muffyn
I stood up, shook hands with my interviewer, looked directly in his eye, and smiled.

My God...

...that was beautiful.

:cry2:

Reply 790
Original post by StrangeBanana
My God...

...that was beautiful.

:cry2:

.... .... .... That was sarcastic, wasn't it?
Original post by Muffyn
.... .... .... That was sarcastic, wasn't it?

:tongue: Sorry, it's late and I'm punchy.

But it was genuine insofar that I believe the advice is top-notch. :biggrin:
Reply 792
:tongue: Sorry, it's late and I'm punchy.

But it was genuine insofar that I believe the advice is top-notch. :biggrin:

It was top-notch - glad you agree :yes::yep: I'm a professional advisor :proud::smartass::u:
Original post by Muffyn
It was top-notch - glad you agree :yes::yep: I'm a professional advisor :proud::smartass::u:

Them smileys. :coma:
Reply 794
Them smileys. :coma:

Apologies, currently hyper on them.

:clap2:
Reply 795
Hey guys, just a little fun fact! I emailed HWSF and we all have Saturday school from 9am - 1pm....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 796
Original post by :-P
Hey guys, just a little fun fact! I emailed HWSF and we all have Saturday school from 9am - 1pm....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I knew westminster school had school on Saturday (at least, I think so), but really? HWSF too? Are you sure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 797
Original post by Muffyn
I knew westminster school had school on Saturday (at least, I think so), but really? HWSF too? You're kidding... Right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, wish I was. However I do believe we have longer holidays, for example, instead of 1 week for half term, we get 2...:-) Quoting the principal here. It may change as may the Saturday school...
Original post by Muffyn
I knew westminster school had school on Saturday (at least, I think so), but really? HWSF too? Are you sure?

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOl. Welcome to life at what is in effect a "public" school run on old fashioned lines.
Reply 799
Original post by Muffyn
Did you find out how long the school day is going to last (8am-4pm? 9am-3pm?)
PS. any additional info you care to share? I have some info too if you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey. I'm not one to be secretive about info that'll affect us all. And yes, I queried about the school times and I believe it will start at 9am and end at 4pm. Extra curricular activities will be held after school and probably end at around the 5pm bracket. Again, may be subject to changes...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending