The Student Room Group

My chances at UCL/Eidenburgh

I am from India and want to apply for Msc computer graphics, vision and imaging at UCL and msc computer science at university of Edinburgh. I have 76% aggregate of 1st and 2nd years in bsc computer science and currently in 3rd year. I will fulfill my English language requirement. I have knowledge about softwares namely MySQL, Flash animation, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, CSS and programming languages like Java, javascript, c++ and html.
What are my chances at UCL?
Reply 1
Depends on your undergrad institute, I have no idea whether 76% is a good grade (in America that would be very bad, in the UK it would be good). I would be tempted to lnclude your class rank on the application if you have it, or something that converts to UK grades.

It also depends on your undergrad institution; being in the top 10% of your year means more if you are at IIT than somewhere less prestigious.

Assuming you are at a half-decent university and that 76% is a good grade you probably have a decent chance, if you can afford the fees.

I probably wouldnt spend more than 1 line of your application mentioning that you know Flash/Photoshop/Dreamweaver/CSS/HTML/javascript if you are going for straight computer science (rather than graphics), but you should talk about your expertise in proper programming languages (C++/Java for example).

Also dont say you know "mySQL". The language is called SQL, mySQL is just one particular implementation. If you have experience setting up an SQL database in any practical context then this is definitely worth mentioning.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thankyou for the opinion
According to the u.k universities I have a first class 2:1 degree and I am eligible to apply even for Oxford
Yes I have enough funds to study in UK
And I wasn't posting my personal statement here.
Just want to know if people having this much eligibility and no experience have any chance or not
I am currently studying in Delhi university which is one of the top universities in india
Reply 3
Elegibility does not guarantee you a place. UCL is much more selective then Ed. The best way is to apply for both and see what happenes. Remember to get 2 references from your past/current profs
Reply 4
Ok. Any idea about the computer science department of Manchester university??
Original post by poohat
I have no idea whether 76% is a good grade (in America that would be very bad, in the UK it would be good).
Yeah! I got AAAAB at as level and was happy about it, then my American cousin commented that 'some people would be really disappointed with a B' :unimpressed: (Of course I was disappointed with not getting all As, but...in the UK a B is a solid, good grade) getting all As means your within the top 5%> of the school (well, my school :colondollar:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending