The Student Room Group

Not enjoying Sixth Form. Could I teach myself?

I'm going through a really stressful time at the moment in school and out.
I'm currently in year 12 studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, and Physics. They are all fairly easy apart from physics which I don't like very much. The problem is, I don't like many of the people at my school, in fact almost all the people frustrate me. I don't know what it is but I just find them very tedious. I find the school environment a very stressful one to be in and get anxious and stressed very easily.
Because of this I often don't concentrate much at school at all. I always come home in a bad mood leading to unproductive evenings and often skip lessons as I just don't feel like going.
So what I've been thinking about is teaching myself the courses from home and just coming in for exams and stuff. I was thinking of maybe dropping physics and just teaching myself chem, maths, and fm. I have looked through the whole of AS chemistry and it seems mostly straightforward and I believe I could do it, my mum used to lecture in chemistry as well. My dad also used to be a maths teacher so he could help me with the maths.
So what do you guys think? Could this be possible? Do you think the school would let me just come in for exams and the chemistry coursework?
Reply 1
Don't you need to do practicals for chemistry? I thought a small part of the Chem A Level marks comes from a practical. Anyway, stay at school! You would have to be v dedicated to stay on top of all the work without having a school timetable. I know if I had the option of staying at home to study during Yr 12 I would have done precisely nothing all day. Anyway, you will have study leave at some point to study at home. I used to hate school, I found it difficult to talk to anyone and to concentrate etc but once I did my A Levels and went to Uni, everything was so much better. Focus on getting through school now, knowing you will have uni (and study leave) to look forward to.

Hope this helps! Also, great choice of A Levels, those were what I did too. Also, if you can do further maths and chem, you can definitely do Physics too.

Quick Reply

Latest