The Student Room Group

Was taking Sociology, Media Studies and Theatre A-Level a mistake?

I am in year 12 and took Sociology, Media and Theatre for A-Level and I’m starting to thing I’ve screwed myself. Whilst i do genuinely enjoy the classes I’ve taken I’m not sure i want to do that in uni. I feel like no unis will be interested in me because of the courses i have taken and that I’ve limited myself to a degree somewhere in media/film/theatre exclusively. I’ve been researching courses recently and I’m really interested in a criminology degree (wasn’t an option at my sixth form). I wanted to take Psychology a level but couldn’t because I thought i was going to fail Science (you had to get a 6 in science to take it) but I ended up getting a 7. Does anyone know if there are any courses that i could take with my A levels?
Original post by evabrownn
I am in year 12 and took Sociology, Media and Theatre for A-Level and I’m starting to thing I’ve screwed myself. Whilst i do genuinely enjoy the classes I’ve taken I’m not sure i want to do that in uni. I feel like no unis will be interested in me because of the courses i have taken and that I’ve limited myself to a degree somewhere in media/film/theatre exclusively. I’ve been researching courses recently and I’m really interested in a criminology degree (wasn’t an option at my sixth form). I wanted to take Psychology a level but couldn’t because I thought i was going to fail Science (you had to get a 6 in science to take it) but I ended up getting a 7. Does anyone know if there are any courses that i could take with my A levels?

There are quite a few courses at uni that dont specify any particular subjects, just certain grades.
If you look into various courses on unis websites then you can see.
For example law doesnt specify any particular subjects- essay subjects may be useful but it doesnt specify any particular subjects. I dont know if it has changed, but back when i was going to apply to do teaching, that didnt specify any particular subjects either, just certain grades.
Unis don't care what subjects you took outside of meeting any essential requirements. As above, Law frequently doesn't have any specific requirements, many social sciences are the same.
Reply 3
There are actually a lot of courses you can take with your A-Levels if you are willing to include foundation year courses as well.

If you did want to do a criminology degree, you could take an EPQ and center it towards criminology to prepare you for that degree. As long as your personal statement fits the subject when you do apply for degrees, you will be fine, please note that universities will also see your GCSE grades and subjects which may aid in making offers.
Reply 4
Original post by Aceful
There are actually a lot of courses you can take with your A-Levels if you are willing to include foundation year courses as well.

If you did want to do a criminology degree, you could take an EPQ and center it towards criminology to prepare you for that degree. As long as your personal statement fits the subject when you do apply for degrees, you will be fine, please note that universities will also see your GCSE grades and subjects which may aid in making offers.

I am taking an EPQ actually and have to decide on a topic by next Thursday, thank you for the idea!
Reply 5
some courses prefer an a level in that subject but most don’t care as long as it’s not critical thinking or general studies, you should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest