The Student Room Group

The Russell Group sucks.

I attended two of them and hated them both. Why? Because the students are cold and over-competitive, the academic staff think that you are not worthy of their time and the whole environment is a pressure-cooker. All the students seemed to have a chip on their shoulder that they didn't get into Oxbridge because it was all they ever talked about during freshers. Consequently they all seemed desperate to get "one over" each other by being unfriendly and unhelpful in group projects etc. I also found them to be very cliquey because they all tended to hang out in groups that all went to the same school and then there were the Chinese students who were infamous for cliques so tight that they could rival the Mafia.

The problems with the students were minor and of course not all of them were like this; the real issue was with the staff. Minimal teaching, even less contact time, if you asked to meet and discuss something they ignored your emails half the time, and I was paying thousands for this. I also felt that they piled us with work for no other reason than to have a "reputation". We had to sit through tons of irrelevant maths lessons and do pointless copying out of lab manuals.

Maybe this is just a UCL/LSE/Imperial problem because the second one I went to was a "lower down" RG and the students were a lot nicr but the professors were just as awful. As a result if I ever do go back to university I am going to try an ex-poly instead.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
cool story bro

I personally fit in more with the Russell Group stereotype, maybe u should just apply for Oxford brookes
Reply 2
I go to a 1994 group. Pretty similar to Russell group. I even got into a russell group as my insurance and I understand the rivalry and competitiveness part and how the students want to get one up on each other but it's really not very prominent and isn't all that big a deal imo.
Reply 3
So just because you didn't like 2 russell group unis you think that they must all suck? Maybe it's university in general that you don't like and not specific universities. If you don't mind me asking, what two unis did you attend?
I'm a student at the University of Leeds, and I have to say, I've not noticed any students on my course wanting to get one up on each other. We're all there for a common goal (to become radiographers), we're all there to support one another (and the "rivalry" is healthy, because that's what the job market is like). I can't comment on any of the other courses, as I haven't gone into the union enough to integrate with that many, but even my boyfriend who studies Japanese here doesn't seem to think there is.

To be honest, at university you need to be competitive because in the job market it's possible the people on your course will be applying for similar ones (not always but it's quite probable), and you need to stand out! And not only that, every university will have its fair share of those students with the chip on their shoulder and outright silliness, comes with the territory, but they shouldn't ruin it for you. Just ignore them, they'll soon stop being bitter and get over themselves.

In terms of your teaching issues, I think it's just those two universities you've experienced. Leeds in general across the range of courses it offers has a good reputation for student's satisfaction with their lecturers, myself included in this group. On the other hand, I went to UCLan for a year to study Japanese (before I applied for Radiography) and the teaching there was minimal contact hours (4 hours a week for the language study... 4! That's clearly not enough!) and quite generalised (no individuality-based focus e.g. teachers did not try to accommodate all students). That wasn't for me and I didn't really like it, so I went back to college, but many students there will continue to enjoy themselves, as the place suits them.

What I'm trying to say is, it can depend on your department of study, the university itself, and the individual lecturers. If you're not happy, speak out! You worked hard to get into those institutions, tell someone you're not happy with the quality you're receiving, and if they don't pay attention to you and take on board what you said, then is the time to leave! Not all Russell Group universities are like the ones you experienced. 2 out of 24 is not a good number to form a generalised assumption from.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I have to say, I agree with you for the most part. But I'm sure it depends on your course. Law for example, would run pretty parallel with your complaints. At least in my experience.
Reply 6
With the exception of Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, King's and maybe Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester and Exeter, the rest of RGs are crap. TBH I would be hard pressed to go past Oxbridge and London. Manchester is overrated, Durham is just a pathetic Cambridge ripoff, Bristol had its moment in the spotlight. Exeter isn't bad but the location is crap. Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield and Birmingham are just tacky. Warwick has no worthy merits.

Oxbridge and a handful of the London colleges are known worldwide for academic excellence and produce leaders in their fields.
Reply 7
Original post by Soft Cat
With the exception of Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, King's and maybe Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester and Exeter, the rest of RGs are crap. TBH I would be hard pressed to go past Oxbridge and London. Manchester is overrated, Durham is just a pathetic Cambridge ripoff, Bristol had its moment in the spotlight. Exeter isn't bad but the location is crap. Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield and Birmingham are just tacky. Warwick has no worthy merits.

Oxbridge and a handful of the London colleges are known worldwide for academic excellence and produce leaders in their fields.

Can I ask what university you go to sir?
Reply 8
Original post by ActusReus
Can I ask what university you go to sir?

Cambridge not that it's any of your business.
Reply 9
Cambridge

Snobbish wasteman. Then again I would also be that if I went to Cambridge.
Reply 10

And why? I'm sorry, have you actually attended these establishments yourself?
Reply 11
Original post by Seble

hey hey, lower your tone. He went to cambridge remember.
Reply 12
Snobbish wasteman. Then again I would also be that if I went to Cambridge.

Well the truth is that with the exception of Oxbridge and some London unis, the rest are hardly world class or elite. I went to an RG before I moved onto Cambridge. I can't say most RGs are inspiring places to want to study. Manchester is a great city but hardly an academically stimulating environment. Most of Nobel Laureates associated with Manc were Oxbridge graduates anyway.

Let's be fair attending a less glamorous college like erm Lucy Cavendish or St Cross would be a million times better than going to Leeds.

As for ex polys, well that's about it. Funny thing about the Ruskin students is that after graduation they line up to have their pictures taken outside King's College Chapel or Trinity Great Court. So pathetic, trying to pass themselves off as going to a university.
Reply 13
Original post by Seble

Why would i need to? I want a decent job not flipping burgers or cleaning toilets lol
Reply 14
Well the truth is that with the exception of Oxbridge and some London unis, the rest are hardly world class or elite. I went to an RG before I moved onto Cambridge. I can't say most RGs are inspiring places to want to study. Manchester is a great city but hardly an academically stimulating environment. Most of Nobel Laureates associated with Manc were Oxbridge graduates anyway.

Let's be fair attending a less glamorous college like erm Lucy Cavendish or St Cross would be a million times better than going to Leeds.

As for ex polys, well that's about it. Funny thing about the Ruskin students is that after graduation they line up to have their pictures taken outside King's College Chapel or Trinity Great Court. So pathetic, trying to pass themselves off as going to a university.

I kinda agree with the world class part but then again that does not mean all other Uni's aside from Oxbridge, lSE and the likes are crap. Durham and Manchester are still two of the best Universities in the countries. But like I said before I'de probably think like you if I went to Oxbridge.
Reply 15
Why would i need to? I want a decent job not flipping burgers or cleaning toilets lol

I think you may be a little to sheltered. People who go to Durham do not end up flipping burgers.

edit: some may but thats not unlike oxbridge. I'm sure theres failures there too.
Reply 16
I kinda agree with the world class part but then again that does not mean all other Uni's aside from Oxbridge, lSE and the likes are crap. Durham and Manchester are still two of the best Universities in the countries. But like I said before I'de probably think like you if I went to Oxbridge.

I went to Manchester too shock horror. I always felt there were many at Manc who felt they needed to justify they were at a good university constantly referring to rankings acting jealous or bitter they didn't go to Oxbridge but I haven't experienced that here in Cambridge. Universities should focus on being the best they can be rather than trying to get one over Oxbridge. I lost count the number of times I saw universities brag about how many departments they have rated above Oxbridge.

Manchester is a good university but it's not like it's a name that symbolises elitism or prestige worldwide.
Reply 17
Original post by WGR
As a result if I ever do go back to university I am going to try an ex-poly instead.

If you wish to be a loser then so be it.

Original post by Seble

I've attended Nottingham. In terms of quality of university it's fantastic. However RG is a group of research unis and Nottingham also seem to pump out a ****load of research. I've heard more about research from Nottingham than most unis.

Confirmed for elitist snob or troll.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
If you wish to be a loser then so be it.

I definitely agree with you here. Why on earth would anyone choose an ex-poly over a russell group? unless they knew they wouldn't get in.

Latest

Trending

Trending