The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Possibility of receiving an offer?

Hey there!

I'm an international student; if I was to convert my grades to A-levels/tariff points, I'd have around 523 points and my top 3 grades would be (from my rough guesstimation) around one A* (English Lang & Lit), an A (English Lit) and another A (Media Studies.)

In addition to this, I've worked as a theatre/film reviewer for the past three years, a script assessor for an international play festival, have received 1/10 spots in a government-sponsored print magazine, before being invited to return as a paid contributor the following year, having placed as a finalist in a national youth writing competition several years back, as well as having had several pieces of creative writing published in online-based journals. I currently study Journalism, but I've grown disillusioned with my limited options and would much prefer the prestige of studying English in an older, more well-known university such as Edinburgh over the options I have in a relatively new country (Australia).

That said, the emails I've received from various UK institutions have been intimidating, to say in the least; the reiteration of highly competitive does little for my nerves.

Given the information supplied, what do you believe the chances are of my receiving a place in Edinburgh's English Literature course? Is it as "highly competitive" as they state it is, and will my extra-curricular assist me in receiving an offer?
Gaining a place at a UK university, in general, is highly competitive for international applicants, but tons of them manage to do it every year. I think you're application looks really good from what you've written, and I'd encourage you to apply. My only concern is that some departments don't like applicants to apply while studying another degree - however, if the admissions tutors have told you it's fine, then you're good to go ahead. :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending