The Student Room Group

what should would you do if you dont get into medicine??

helllppppp only a fraction of people ho apply for medicine get into medicine what should i do if i dont get in ???
Reply 1
Original post by Vashappeninkira
helllppppp only a fraction of people ho apply for medicine get into medicine what should i do if i dont get in ???

Think positive, you might be one of the lucky few! :smile: otherwise, you can try again..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Help, only a fraction of people who apply for medicine get into medicine. What should i do if i don't get in ???

That's up to you. You could reapply or go to your 5th choice.
Reply 3

Don't get disheartened, carry on working hard, get AAA, reapply the following year, get an unconditional offer :yy:
Reply 4
If you dont get in, just cry then cry even more...only joking!

Keep knocking on the door until it opens, and if it doesnt just bring the dam door down (in your own way) because once you turn back your chance is gone...

If you want it badly, you will get it...
work hard and reapply. If you really want to do it you will find a way.

do another degree and apply for postgrad. This route is extremely competitive though from what I have heard, even more competitive than undergraduate entry

start a course for one year which allow a select few to transfer to medicine (incredibly risky though so you would need to make sure that if you weren't selected you sill had enough passion to complete the course)

go abroad

The first option is probably best though.

What you said is true and it is good to be forward planning, but as long as you do your 'homework' and prepare thoroughly I don't see why you don't stand a chance of getting an offer as much as the next person.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6

Well depends on the situation? Are we assuming you got no offers/ interviews but did get the AAA grades in A2? Or are we assuming you failed to achieve the necessary grades?
If you truly want a career in healthcare nursing or midwifery is the obvious answer. If you were thinking more research medicine maybe consider the stereotypical biomedical sciences :wink:
If however you were to achieve the grades but fail to get the offers then I'd be reapplying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I was in your shoes back in 2011. I put down Neuroscience as by back up, ended up getting 4 med rejections (because of grades) but got into Neuroscience at King's. Ended up going and it was the best decision I could have made! Neuroscience is not only extremely relevant and THE field to be in at the moment but also helps you gear towards applying to graduate medicine if you decide that you definitely want to be a medic (as did I and have applied to graduate medicine this year). The KCL course also has tons of opportunity for research with summer projects in your second year and then a choice of lab research, clinical neuropsychology research or a library project for your final year dissertation.

I missed my offer for KCL but still got in (although that was a few years back so maybe apply to other unis if you're worried you might mess up your exams and get lower than a B in any of your A2s). I didn't do amazingly at a level (ABBBbc) so if you're thinking of applying to graduate medicine I would advise a degree in any biomedical science at a good institution. However, if you have other interests, graduate entry medicine is open to all degrees now at some universities (but remember this means more entrance tests - ie, UKCAT and GAMSAT which is worse than BMAT).

Basically what I'm trying to say is follow your interests as there's ALWAYS a way into medicine if you decide to do it later. Most biomed courses don't even look at your personal statement and will give you an offer on grades alone (again, this may have changed since 2011).

Hope this helps, sorry for the essay.
Reply 8
Im a reapplicant.. I didnt get in first time round. Reapplied with a stronger application this year.
Reply 9
Ensure that you have a good 5th choice that you would be happy to go to. A friend of mine didn't get into Medicine last year and is now studying BioChem at Birmingham with the hopes of studying post-degree medicine. He seems fairly happy with the outcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending